Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turn Signal Troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turn Signal Troubleshoot

Had this '99 Tacoma since '99. Here are the symptoms, in the order I noticed them. This began about one month ago out of the blue - not right after anything, and long after anything electrical was touched:

• Left turn signal dashboard-indicator light sometimes doesn't light. This happens intermittently, but increasingly.
  • Left turn signal exterior lights (both) do not light when the indicator does not light.
  • Fuses, both behind dash and under hood, are good.
  • Bulbs and sockets look fine, clean, and dry, both left and right sides.
  • All four signals always flash normally whenever the hazard switch is pressed.
  • Checked combo headlight/signal switch pins 1-2 with meter and continuity looked fine, but this exercise seemed pointless because the problem is intermittent.
  • Replaced the flasher relay without testing it first. That didn't help. Murphy's Law.
  • With the switch in either left or right position, I can hear the flasher clicking normally whether the signals are lit or not.
  • The signal flash rate is about 92 flashes per minute, on either side.
  • If I gently press forward just so while pressing down on the switch stem, the left turn signals (and indicators) will work properly, although sometimes it takes a few tries.
The last electrical fix I did was just to replace a 33-LED center brake light on the truck's topper that had several bad bulbs, with a brighter 5-LED light. That was in early January 2011, months before this began, so I doubt it could be related.

I think the symptoms point to the $100+ switch being worn out, but if anyone could confirm or suggest a better test technique, I'd like to know before I waste any more money.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil Fawlty
I think the symptoms point to the $100+ switch being worn out, but if anyone could confirm or suggest a better test technique, I'd like to know before I waste any more money.
It sure sounds like the switch is suspect.

On the other hand, love the screen name! Have watched every episode numerous times over the years.

Andreas
Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aowRS
On the other hand, love the screen name! Have watched every episode numerous times over the years.

Andreas
It's my dog's name (see likeness in my profile) - given because ever since a puppy he swims not with his head held low but way up out of the water, much like Cleese's head protruding above that suit. Ditto on re-runs - that one, and Lucy.