Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turn key --> click! Turn key again vroom!!

Old 11-10-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn key --> click! Turn key again vroom!!

As you all know, I picked up my 99 4Runner this past Friday. About 4 times, when I have hit the ignition, it hasn't turned over. It just makes 1 click and that's all (probably the accessories cutting off). I release the key, try it again, and it starts. This doesn't make any sense. I cleaned off the connections. It only does it when the truck hasn't been started in a few hrs, or has cooled significantly (low's over thepast couple days have been in the low 40's. I looked at the battery, it's original, with 70K miles, and still has the "blue" showing when I look through the little window, which means it's good. How accurate is this? The engine spins over so fast, I can't believe that the battery's bad, but I don't want to think it's the starter either. Supposedly, the guy I bought it from claims he's never had that problem. Granted, he lives in Dallas the low has probably been in the low 50's only this year, but none the less, I'm kinda at a loss here, and am curious as to if you guys have any input.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:06 PM
TOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds exactly like a starter to me, it it was the battery it simply would crank or turnover at all eventually. Sounds like a starter to me and my techs upon further review.

Todd
Old 11-10-2003, 02:08 PM

What could you get me a toyota starter for? Excluding tax, b/c i don't live in TX.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did the same thing when I bought it... New starter.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:14 PM

just an observation - the number of threads describing this exact symptom went from zero to at least one per day as soon as summer officially went bye-bye

Quite a coincidence that so many Toyota starters are crapping out all about the same time.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 PM

That does suck. What is it about the starter that needs fixing? I'm definitely not going to go with autozone or any other crap maker of starter's, but I'd rather not buy a whole new one from the dealer if it's not entirely necessary. Is there one certain part that I can replace or rebuild in my own starter? Can't believe I've had the truck for 3 days and am already working on it!

Thanks
Kyle
Old 11-10-2003, 02:52 PM
TOR

Reman starter

Here is an OEM remanufactured starter for your truck through me.

28100-62030-84 REMAN STA $186.07
Core Charge $30.00

Total w/shipping $216.07

Let me know what you want to do. If you have replaced the contacts then I would venture to say it isn't the problem. You can take a look at the solenoid but if that is the problem I would jus swap the whole thing due to the cost and time it takes. Hope this helps out.

Todd

BTW the core charge is refundable upon receipt of the old one in the new box.

Last edited by TOR; 11-11-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 PM

I believe a starter is your problem. I had that same thing happen to me. Replace it soon. It only gets worse. My starter almost completely went out on me and I was 400 miles away from home. 18 Clicks before a vroom.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 AM

Crap. How long did it take you to do the starter replacement?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by My99
Is there one certain part that I can replace or rebuild in my own starter?
Yes, if it's the contacts it's very cheap and easy to rebuild. In fact if you're replacing the starter yourself anyways it's only 3 phillips screws and one bolt more to do. Pop the cover off the solenoid and look at the contacts inside, there's two "L" shaped chunks of copper in there. If one is worn more than the other or worn clear through then there is your problem.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:13 AM

Great! I suppose I can just get contacts from the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:19 AM

Great! I suppose I can just get contacts from the dealer?

Thanks!
Yes, you're looking for a starter contact rebuild kit.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html
Old 11-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem two weeks ago. No sound when trying to start. No clicking of any solenoids either. Turned out to be the ignition contactblock on the steering column. Everything worked except the startercontact. Burnt in due to driving a lot of short distances.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:41 AM

THanks for the link! Great read and should really help me out, as I've never opened up a starter before.

I don't think it would be the contacts in my ignition, the truck's just not that old. I'm surprised a starter has even gotten bad contacts with so few miles. :pat:
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Crap. How long did it take you to do the starter replacement?
Sounds like just the $15 starter contacts to me.
4Crawler's Cheap Toyota Starter Repair
Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
Sounds like just the $15 starter contacts to me.
4Crawler's Cheap Toyota Starter Repair
I had to replace mine at 90k.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:42 AM

Is there a part number I can use from toyota? I called today and they said i'd have to bring it my old contatcs to match them up, and that it would run me 20 bucks for the new contacts. Seems kinda pricey, but whatever. I noticed on this website, http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html , that he had a genuine toyota rebuild kit, yet the local parts guy said toyota didn't offer one. Can someoen give me a part number to have him check? Or do i really have to take the starter in to get the new ones? Sounds like they'd use only certain parts on certain models, but maybe not.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Is there a part number I can use from toyota? I called today and they said i'd have to bring it my old contatcs to match them up, and that it would run me 20 bucks for the new contacts. Seems kinda pricey, but whatever. I noticed on this website, http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html , that he had a genuine toyota rebuild kit, yet the local parts guy said toyota didn't offer one. Can someoen give me a part number to have him check? Or do i really have to take the starter in to get the new ones? Sounds like they'd use only certain parts on certain models, but maybe not.
naah, go to another stealer. I just walked right into Don McGill and told them I need replacement contacts for the starter and they gave them to me. Of course I had to look at the screen and point to the contacts because he didn't know what I was talking about. Todd {TOR} can get you the numbers. PM him.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:15 AM

Yep, go to a different dealer or see if TOR can get them for you. There are a few different profiles and some dealers are reluctant to sell them without seeing the old ones first to verify. If they look it up using your vin # you should get a match.

You also have to understand that they get a lot more profit out of selling a complete starter than they do a little fix-it kit, therefore the shady operations will deny it's existance. It's parts like these that set apart the dealers from the stealers.

Last edited by Shane; 11-12-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Shane
You also have to understand that they get a lot more profit out of selling a complete starter than they do a little fix-it kit, therefore the shady operations will deny it's existance. It's parts like these that set apart the dealers from the stealers.
A good example of this would be the steering rack boots, a stealer will tell you that they are "unserviceable and it must be done by there techs." A dealer (like TOR) will sell you the boot kit with no flack. Also, the upper balljoint; Joe Meyers Stealership told me when I called that the I had to buy the whole knuckle because the upper balljoint wasn't a servicable part, hehe, right! So I called Todd and he had them out in two days to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn key --> click! Turn key again vroom!!