Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

turbonator (cheap supercharger thing) maybe for 3.slow

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbonator (cheap supercharger thing) maybe for 3.slow

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html...rdsToylexSuper

Just thought I would throw this out there for all of you looking to supercharge your 3.0 or whatever I dont know if it works or not but you can judge for yourself. Good luck.
If anyone has one of these let everyone know what they are all about.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 PM

doesnt work
Old 02-27-2005, 04:12 PM

These are all about making your wallet lighter.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Useing the search feature on here, its been established that they are pretty much pointless.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

$70???

bawhahahahaha!

Why do you think we try to get rid of the obstructions in the intake/exhaust? To get more air in/out of the engine. Not slow it down

Just saw you were in mooresville... you know jon and matt?

Last edited by turboale; 02-27-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya want fast? Save your $70 and use it to get a Honda Civic.

Ya want to go 4wheelin' and then get to the grocery store and work the next day...Stick with the 3.0. Slow has worked for me for....geez...haven't owned a fast car since a '66 Mustang back in the 70's.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Ya want fast? Save your $70 and use it to get a Honda Civic.

Ya want to go 4wheelin' and then get to the grocery store and work the next day...Stick with the 3.0. Slow has worked for me for....geez...haven't owned a fast car since a '66 Mustang back in the 70's.

WAIT!! You owned a '66 stang and you just equated a HONDA CIVIC AS BEING FAST??? WTF? Your muscle car driving privelages have been revoked for 1 year!!! lol

What I love about that site is the Feedback! Read this:

"In a completely stock 99' Dodge Neon sport, I gained ten horses and went from 34-37 wheel horsepower to 44-47 wheel horsepower (using a G-Tech Pro performance meter). I have also noted (when I drive responsibly) a gain in gas mileage. I also lost a full second off my Quarter-mile times; from 16.8 to 15.8 and probably could have done better with more time with the G-Tech."
-Francis Mize (Cincinnati,OH)

bwaahahhahahaa

it gets better by all these seat of the pants dyno people

"This device made my Pontiac perform smoothly and with faster acceleration. I honestly felt a 20 horsepower gain. It's hard to believe considering it's such an inexpensive device. Within a two month period, It paid for itself from the gas savings. I told all my friends about it and they now think it is as incredible as I do."
-Donald Roberts, Boise, Idaho

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 02-28-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe if he said "Ya want fast? Save your $70 and use it to get a Turbo Supra." it might have gone over better.
Hopefully those are considered fast enough to qualify.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
What I love about that site is the Feedback! Read this:

"In a completely stock 99' Dodge Neon sport, I gained ten horses and went from 34-37 wheel horsepower to 44-47 wheel horsepower (using a G-Tech Pro performance meter). I have also noted (when I drive responsibly) a gain in gas mileage. I also lost a full second off my Quarter-mile times; from 16.8 to 15.8 and probably could have done better with more time with the G-Tech."
-Francis Mize (Cincinnati,OH)

bwaahahhahahaa
Now THAT is funny.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:44 AM

What a load of garbage the 'turbonator' is. Just like all the snake oil products out there.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:58 AM

not that anyone believes that this type of system will work, but I'll chim in anyway to try to explain why they don't work.

These eletric superchargers only produce air flow. If your car had a crappy intake (as far as filter plumbing) then yes, this might ad 1-2hp, because your engine might not be getting all of the air that it can get. This will in no means produce big HP numbers.

No, you have to understand the very basic fundamentals of a turbocharging/supercharging to fully understand what I'm saying. Atmospheric pressure is about 14.7psi. The term boost refers to boosting pressure above atmospheric....NOT boosting HP though that is the end result. The only way to do this is by using a compressor.

Someone might think that they're really smart and say something like what about turbines. They're essentially a big fan that compresses the air to produce thrust. The problem with that thought is that the compressor portion of the turbine uses several fans with stationary blades that line the inside of the case to help produce compression. It also depends on the expanding gas inside the combustion chamber.

Anyway you slice it, a simple fan can NOT produce pressure above normal atmospheric pressure in the size that is needed to put into an intake pipe.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:59 AM

Honda Civic!?!?!?!?! PALESSSSSSE DO NOT BECOME ANOTHER RICER!!!! SHEESH PULL UP NEXT TO THAT CIVIC WITH THE *COUGH COUGH* PAGODA AIRFOIL IN A LOTUS ESPRIT TURBO AND BLOW HIS D@MNED DOORS OFF!!!

As to the hair dryer turbo/supercharger...don't bother.

Last edited by ctcost; 02-28-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1994toyotaboy
What a load of garbage the 'turbonator' is. Just like all the snake oil products out there.
Pretty much.

Only electric device I have seen that works to boost pressure is something like this:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

.....just notice it pulls 57 AMPS @14V! ....to make 1 psi of boost.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
WAIT!! You owned a '66 stang and you just equated a HONDA CIVIC AS BEING FAST??? WTF? Your muscle car driving privelages have been revoked for 1 year!!! lol

Yeah, I might have written that one better guys. Yep the Mustang was faster than the Civic. But the Civic can leave the 3VZE in the dirt. So if you're searching for cheap speed from the 3.0...save the money and go with a Civic.

But if ya happen to find a restorable '66 Mustang Fastback, let me know. I might be able to slide that one into my garage with short-circuiting my wife's radar.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Pretty much.

Only electric device I have seen that works to boost pressure is something like this:

interesting, not a bad current pull IF you have a BEEFY electrical system. But I dont think Ill go that route either.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Pretty much.

Anybody tried this? or know someone who has? wonder what types of HP gains you would see from a 22re with this... 300 dollars for a 1psi boost....not bad or 1.7 for nearly 600. think a stock 22re or 3.slow would handle the psi boost without too much stress/engine wear?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:14 AM

NP gwhayduke...hehehe...But then again we can just run over the Civic and pick him out of our tires later.

Originally Posted by gwhayduke

Yeah, I might have written that one better guys. Yep the Mustang was faster than the Civic. But the Civic can leave the 3VZE in the dirt. So if you're searching for cheap speed from the 3.0...save the money and go with a Civic.

But if ya happen to find a restorable '66 Mustang Fastback, let me know. I might be able to slide that one into my garage with short-circuiting my wife's radar.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by retardedspleen
Anybody tried this? or know someone who has? wonder what types of HP gains you would see from a 22re with this... 300 dollars for a 1psi boost....not bad or 1.7 for nearly 600. think a stock 22re or 3.slow would handle the psi boost without too much stress/engine wear?
It does work and would give you a nice kick at the midrange, but nothing like a supercharger or turbo will.
I don't think most have gone this route on the forum because the HP gain is not big enough.
You figure most superchargers, turbos are set to give 7-8 psi of boost and add 40-50% to the HP.
So given that, you might get 5-10 HP gain by using the 1 psi setup...not bad for $300
I think the 1.7 psi would be a waste because you are getting close to turbo kit territory for far less gain.

Also a turbo or S/C runs all the time, this kit is more like nitrous, on for just a few seconds.

Not sure if you watched the video but it is also VERY loud.
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...eos/video3.mpg

You can even watch it build pressure faster than a leaf blower (which some have suggested does work):
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...%20final_1.wmv

Some of the installs:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...examples.shtml
Old 03-01-2005, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by retardedspleen
considering there are two people running 12psi on stock HG and headbolts I'd say yes....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:58 PM

do they make a SC for 22re? ideas how much? Ive never herd of one for the 22re.

Quick Reply: turbonator (cheap supercharger thing) maybe for 3.slow