Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turbo Option for 3.4L V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Option for 3.4L V6

Has anyone heard of Squires Turbo Systems? It appears they are selling a turbo kit for the 3.4L engine. Here is the link...

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma_3_4l_kits

and some information pulled from their website....

"The Toyota Tacoma 3.4L is our most popular turbocharger system. The Tacoma absolutely loves turbos and takes to them extremely well. We typically see 60-70% gains in HP and TQ at only 6 psi boost. Drops of over 4 seconds on the 0-60 time are quite common. Freeway and high speed driving is absolutely phenominal with the STS Turbo. The Tone, Sound, and especially the Performance of an STS Turbocharged Tacoma will blow you away, especially if you are the competition!"

They also have a bit of dyno information comparing the trd supercharger to their system.

What do you all think?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Based on the new prices for superchargers, it may not be a fair comparison (if you want dollars per horsepower/torque). There MAY (or may not) be a value associated with purchasing a Toyota product vs. what appears to be a small outfit.

Not to sound like an ass (which means I'm going to sound like an ass) perhaps you can buy the turbo kit, install, pull some dyno runs and get back to us?
Old 12-01-2003, 03:22 PM

I don't know if I would purchase this kit, I would have to look at it first hand and see what kind of quality work they do. After looking at the Dyno graphs the turbo'd Tacoma only got 0-60 in 8secs , a stock 4Runner can do 0-60 in 9.1 secs.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:07 PM

0-60 for a stock runner in ~9 seconds - you have to take into account where that came from, how they did their test numbers. The dyno runs show ~4300 ft altitude, which will definitely have an effect. The dyno shows the runner stock at 12 sec.
Not endorsing them one way or the other, but this looks cool, and we should compare apples to apples...
Old 12-01-2003, 04:13 PM

I agree with both your points.

Bennito- with a going rate of $1,500 - 1,900 for a TRD supercharger, this wouldn't make much sense.

Vato Loco - those numbers do look low...I'm sure it has something to do with the 4300' elevation. Even before all my fuel and intake modifications, a friend's Road Dyno showed my 4runner was doing way better than the 11.083 seconds (0-60 time) with just the sc.

I have to admit that I'm more intrigued by the performance potential this thing might have in conjunction with fuel modifications and water injection.

- Mike
Old 12-01-2003, 04:15 PM

Just took a look at their website, their product looks pretty awesome. I'm a big believer in turbos over superchargers - no parasitic power drain, and very tunable to a specific application, because of the variety and research that goes into turbo's (think deisel big rigs).
But, it's gonna be just eye candy for me, and I probably wouldn't get one if I could (emissions laws in cali wouldn't work w/ that setup. I see they're using tial wastegates, which basically vents exhaust gas into the atmosphere pre-cat. Not great for the sad state of our environment, regardless of law).
Old 12-01-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was I first to look at the pics?

Let's talk Turbo 101...

Turbos get their pressure from an impeller spun by exhaust gases. Normal turbo systems place piping for this immediately after the exhaust manifolds (or create custom exhaust manifolds). Then, there would be a length of pipe and a cold air intake of some sort running from the inlet side of the turbo. We all following so far?

I guess in the interest of cost/ease, they have placed the turbo under the truck after the intermediate pipe. In addition, the air filter (intake) is under the truck also.

The problems with this setup:
1 - Heat from the turbo so close to the floorpan could melt the carpet.
2 - Potential leaks from the multitude of joints in the pressurized pipe to the engine.
3 - Can't drive it if there is any water where you'll drive. This goes for puddles, car washes, and heaven forbid - a water crossing.

These are issues I saw - I'll bet there are more...

EDIT: Here's the best pic (for giggles)

Last edited by Cebby; 12-01-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:02 PM

when i look at all the miles of plumbing, all i think is turbo lag . . . lag, lag, lag.

bet it's fast when it's done lagging, though.

creed
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM

Did anyone spend time reading the FAQ's and other stuff? They addressed questions about lag and water getting into the intake.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:14 PM

i also don't like the fact that the pipe on the tacoma runs through the right fenderwell and then under the frame/body mount....that just seems like it will get tore up down there with nothing to protect it and that will be a quick way to blow the motor.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Glenn
Did anyone spend time reading the FAQ's and other stuff? They addressed questions about lag and water getting into the intake.
I'll buy the lag response I guess, but they even say submerging the filter will be a problem. Too much mud around here for that setup. They could extend the intake tube back up for the intake - hell they could go straight up behind the cab a la' snorkel.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:54 AM

There was a link that was posted a while back of a turbo tacoma that was for sale on ebay. Looked pretty similar too that one. The same things were said then that are being said now.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

That's kinda of a scary looking turbo kit and like was mentioed about the lenght of the piping would cause some pretty mean lag and placement of the air filter would even cause problems just in the rain not to mention off road.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 AM

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 AM

ugh, that's ugly. It didn't register when they talked up the 'benefits of having the turbo outside the engine bay' that that meant you could pretty easily submerge your turbo
Someone should make a custom manifold, install the turbo in the bay, and wrap it will that turbo insulating wrap. Spearco intercooler, forged rods, low comp. pistons.. mmmm
Old 12-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
That's kinda of a scary looking turbo kit and like was mentioed about the lenght of the piping would cause some pretty mean lag and placement of the air filter would even cause problems just in the rain not to mention off road.
I agree, its just a really bad place to put a turbo!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

This product was featured on the Fall/Winter Performance Products catalog. Anyone have thoughts? Reviews? Comments?

Testimonials:

"After lifting my Tacoma my truck wouldn't get out of it's own way. Driving on the freeway and pulling hills was flat out embarrassing. My foot was to the floor everywhere I went. My friends tried talking me into going with the TRD supercharger. I am so glad that I went with the STS turbo kit. It runs so much better than my friends' superchargers. I absolutely leave them in the dust. The performance on and off the road is absolutely incredible. I gained 61%HP and 64%TQ at only 7 psi boost. My 0-60 time improved by over 3 seconds. Even the guys at the dyno shop were amazed!"

"Here is a picture you don't see every day, a lifted Tacoma with 34" tires pulling a ski boat. My truck runs incredible with the STS Turbo System. It gained 73.5% RWHP at only 5 psi boost. It is seriously faster pulling the boat with the turbo than it was when it was stock and running empty. I can pull hills at 90 in overdrive that it struggled to get up and would lose speed in 3rd gear before. I wouldn't own a Tacoma without a STS System on it!"
Old 11-29-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using the forum's SEARCH function, it looks like it's been talked about a lot around here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-products-take-look-44897/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/sts-turbo-kit-44826/

Just an FYI, try SEARCHING first... The forum is pretty active and we cover a lot of ground.

Welcome!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Using the forum's SEARCH function, it looks like it's been talked about a lot around here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44897
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44826

Just an FYI, try SEARCHING first... The forum is pretty active and we cover a lot of ground.

Welcome!
Yeah, I did use the forum search function, thats how I came upon this thread. Just for you, next time I'll ensure to post on every thread that the search finds.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:00 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by Glenn

They didn't address it - they used doubletalk (or adspeak, or fluffery...) to breeze past it. "..Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm. " Yes, this is all true - once it is up to rpm the pipes pressurize, but they don't STAY pressurized, the pressure does into the engine intake. GETTING the turbo spooled up to GET the pressure in the first place every time you step on the gas is lag - and 30+ years of development have proven that the farther from the intake and exhaust the turbo is the more lag you get, and even with longer pipes within the engine compt, lag can get unsatisfactory. "..even under very wet conditions the filter sheds most all water.." Wow! Cool! They invented a filter that can shed water. The patented "Dog Shake" system, do you suppose? Oh wait, it's a k&n, yeah, those FIPKs shed water under the hood (NOT!) so they must really work underneath truck. Ah, but it has a sock. Is it waterproof then? Lets air through but not moisture? Maybe it's Goretex...

[[Someone should make a custom manifold, install the turbo in the bay, and wrap it will that turbo insulating wrap. Spearco intercooler, forged rods, low comp. pistons.. mmmm ]]

Indeed, you mean like all the other turbo systems ever marketed, the ones that work. Except the turbo blanket - NEVER wrap a turbo. The heat has to get OUT, it doesn't come FROM the engine compt, it radiates INTO the engine compartment, and wrapping a turbo bakes the bearings and boils the oil, etc. Cummins for example will even void your turbo warranty if you blanket their turbo.

But even without all the above - there remains the issue of splashing a red hot turbo with water, or parking a red hot turbo over tall grass... etc... Just a really bad idea no matter how you look at it. They should sell these on ebay, give the guy with the electric hair dryer turbo some competition...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-30-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Option for 3.4L V6