Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra upgrade, now no brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tundra upgrade, now no brakes.

Well as the title implies I just did the tundra swap over the weekend. I encountered 2 issues. The 199mm calipers rubs my LC wheels but that was an easy enough fix with my trusty grinder . BUT I have no brake pedal . I Can't figure out what the hell went wrong. I bleed the brakes numerous times and I still barely get any kind of pedal. If I pump it once or twice while stopping it's fines but thats not good enough. I can't be pumping my brakes everytime I use them to stop. I was hoping you guys might have some ideas I haven't thought of. I'm at the point where I think my booster may have just spontaneously crapped out on me but I don't want to go there until I absolutely have to. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the booster just makes it easier to push pedal, the MC makes the pressure, so my guess is you still have air or a big "bubble" in the caliper or elsewhere...

If it is bouncy I would check for air, make sure you bleed the entire system especially if you got air in the top, or the fluid went down in the MC.

If it is stiff after a pump or two (while on) I would suspect bad clearances in front or rear. Check adjustment of your rear brakes (drum I assume?). As far as the front goes, I assume you replaced the rotor with the correct thickness one also, and have new pads too? It sounds like you there may be too much distance the cylinders have to move to fully engage (whether it is front or rear) so check your fronts, and make sure the cylinders are in almost all the way when the brakes are not applied (assuming all new components), and make sure everything fits together good....

and lastly, don't try to drive (far, or on main roads) until you fix it =)
Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Maj

If pumping improves braking that is usually a sign of trapped air. You might try reverse bleeding, that is pretty effective at removing stubborn air bubbles. I think Harbor Freight sells a cheapo pump bleeder.

I just had the same thing happen on my Harley. I read on-line that you could pull the brake lever back and wrap tape around it then let it sit overnight. The bubbles would creep their way up to the master cylinder then out. Worked like a charm. Might be worth a try on your ride by wedging a stick in between the brake lever and seat.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM

I've bled the brakes 4 times now. I still have a no pedal it's gotten a little better but not much. I guess I'll go at it again and see what happens. I'll keep you guys informed. keep the idea's coming.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

check the rear brakes for adjustment (though it would have shown a little before) and def the fronts again for proper clearances... again, did you replace all caliper/rotor/pads with matching set? sorry, but I am still trying to think of this, but keep coming back to same diagnosis

to check rears, lift rear end and rotate tire, listen for any dragging, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to just barely hear the shoes rub... or pull the e-brake, it should be tight with just 3-4 clicks (mine is rusted and doesn't work, so i can't check this way)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM

yes the fron has new calipers, rotors and pads. The rears I'll pull and check tmw and get back to you on those.