Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra TRD Coils with Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is very interesting, does anyone have the part numbers for the tacoma 5100's vs. the 1st gen Tundra? I've never heard of anyone using the tundra version until now
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM

BIC, that's awesome. I've taught my woman to change her own oil. She even calls out the chodelers with ugly wheels! Crap, I just said chodelers.

Thanks for the compliment - I try to make my stories approachable.

The gen-three 4Runner runs about 3400-3600lb. What's a first-gen Tundra weigh? Those Tundra Billies up front work like they belong there. Tell you what, there's lots of sand & desert people with Tacos out here and the 4Runner guys can't use their leftovers because they're not up to the mass of the 4Runner (though the top-hats and spare parts are handy).

Hey Crack, I don't have the Taco numbers but all the steps to the Tundra swap are in my stories. Call Bilstein and refer to my stories for reference - they're very helpful over there. I would recommend those eye-to-eye swap brackets for the rear shocks, if you want to avoid fighting with the top-nuts in the future, but the LC shocks work really well so it might not be worth the mod.

STICK
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM

I found the part numbers

Tacoma 5100: F4-BE5-D558-TO

Tundra 5100: F4-BE5-6929-HO
Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by SharpStick
I'm running a '96 4Runner with about 2.75-inch lift in front and about 3-inches lift in back. I used the TRD Tundra/Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front (TRD blue/yellow-yellow/yellow and the Bilstein BE5-6929-HO - the Tundra app) with an All-Pro one-inch poly spacer over a diff-drop. I did not jack up the 5100 on its perch, but there's another two inches there if I want to play. The back is just an 890 with the Bilstein LC shock (B461478).

I've got killer stuff and movement front and rear, and none of this boinginess some folks have complained about. The truck rides well with 400lb of firewood and gear in back, and it trails marvelously. I doubt this is far from the SS front combo, though I haven't bothered to figure their stuff out. I've got other things to do.

You can read about the steps I went through on off-road.com:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/au...l.jsp?id=45041

STICK with .45 ACP: because shooting twice is silly
Hey Mr SharpStick,
about your rear shocks - what is the advantage/disadvantage of using the LC shocks VS the 4Runner shocks?
I was looking at the new OME Nitrochargers (4Runner), but I am interested in your Bilstein LC shock setup, did you get more lift out of the LC shocks? And I was under the impression that OME is supposed to be used as a system shocks and coils together. You write ups are great by the way!
THanks
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM

BIC, that's awesome. I've taught my woman to change her own oil. She even calls out the chodelers with ugly wheels! Crap, I just said chodelers.

Thanks for the compliment - I try to make my stories approachable.

The gen-three 4Runner runs about 3400-3600lb. What's a first-gen Tundra weigh? Those Tundra Billies up front work like they belong there. Tell you what, there's lots of sand & desert people with Tacos out here and the 4Runner guys can't use their leftovers because they're not up to the mass of the 4Runner (though the top-hats and spare parts are handy).

Hey Crack, I don't have the Taco numbers but all the steps to the Tundra swap are in my stories. Call Bilstein and refer to my stories for reference - they're very helpful over there. I would recommend those eye-to-eye swap brackets for the rear shocks, if you want to avoid fighting with the top-nuts in the future, but the LC shocks work really well so it might not be worth the mod.

STICK
Sharpstick,
Did your 5100's have 3 slots for height adjustment on the front or 5? Its hard to tell from your install pics, but from my searching on tundrasolutions, the tundra bilstein 5100's initially came with 3 slots but now come with 5, much like the sonoran steel custom bilsteins. These are becoming more and more appealing as a replacement shock in the tundra coil front lift for my upcoming 4runner project
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 PM

I got a line on a set of new FJ cruiser shocks
"Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD Rear shocks New Take off Bilstein "
Think they will fit a 3rd gen 4runner?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM

so what you guys are talking about is using the tundra 5100s instead of the tacomas?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM

5100s and 890s and Land Cruisers, oh my.

Thank you for the kind words - I've been doing the test-driver/journalist thing for a long time, but compliments are still soul-candy.

The LC shocks seemed appropriate because of the potential additional mass of increased tire size, plus their length compared to your standard 890/891 - 2.5-3" rear spring lift.

The LC shock has an increase in throw of more than two inches compared to the 4Runner shock. I've been told a stock rear 4Runner shock can cope with a 1.5-2" inch lift, but not more, and I was aiming for enough room for 33"s or 35"s, and so I wanted about 3" lift. The 890s were perfect, with almost 3" inches. That means the LC shocks are right in range. I've gotten the rear axle at full-droop & stuff and movement is excellent (and with a 265/75/16 Wrangler Silent Armor right now, there is no well-interference at all - we'll see about the MT/Rs I've got waiting for wheels).

As for the additional weight of larger tires on a 4Runner, I figured that a stock LC had more suspended mass than a 4Runner in back, so a shock valved for one would be cool with some more weight at the ends of the 4Runner's axles. The same logic applies to the Tundra parts in front.

Regarding the rings on the 5100s in front, there are five. I've not actually asked Bilstein directly, but from everything I've found these are probably the same thing Sonoran Steel is retailing as a custom-valved job. I could be wrong, but Manic 8-Ball said All Signs Point To Yes. Of course, you need Tundra springs to go with them. The Tundra 5100s work exceptionally, and anyone could base a good suspension package around them. Better yet, the combination of the TRD Tundra springs/5100s in front and the 890/LC Bilsteins in back work really well together on the street. It's not sketchy at all. You're going to want an All-Pro 1" spacer in front to keep the truck level, though.

I don't know about the FJ shocks - I've heard rumors, but not tested them. All you can do is try, and check the mass of the FJ versus the 4Runner, weight-bias front-to-rear, et cetera.

STICK a fork in me

PS> If you dare, tune in to my radio show on 1170AM-KCBQ, 6: PM Saturdays (Left Coast time), or simulcast me on KCBQ.com - it's called Hank Watson's Garage Hour. We talk about trucks and tools and beer and music and all sorts of dude stuff.

Last edited by SharpStick; 12-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM

Finally a radio show for dudes... HAHAHA!
Thanks a lot Mr. Stick.
I think I have it narrowed down to a rear end set up like the one on your rig 890s and LC bilsteins, front I am going with the Sonoran economy kit.
I came across the FJ shocks on craigslist the guy wants $80 for the pair and they look brand new, I just dont know much about them. Those FJ seem about the same mass as the runners rather than a LC.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 PM

so is there a place i could get both the tundra 5100s and the trd oem coils in the same order
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Thank you for the kind words - I've been doing the test-driver/journalist thing for a long time, but compliments are still soul-candy.

The LC shocks seemed appropriate because of the potential additional mass of increased tire size, plus their length compared to your standard 890/891 - 2.5-3" rear spring lift.

The LC shock has an increase in throw of more than two inches compared to the 4Runner shock. I've been told a stock rear 4Runner shock can cope with a 1.5-2" inch lift, but not more, and I was aiming for enough room for 33"s or 35"s, and so I wanted about 3" lift. The 890s were perfect, with almost 3" inches. That means the LC shocks are right in range. I've gotten the rear axle at full-droop & stuff and movement is excellent (and with a 265/75/16 Wrangler Silent Armor right now, there is no well-interference at all - we'll see about the MT/Rs I've got waiting for wheels).

As for the additional weight of larger tires on a 4Runner, I figured that a stock LC had more suspended mass than a 4Runner in back, so a shock valved for one would be cool with some more weight at the ends of the 4Runner's axles. The same logic applies to the Tundra parts in front.

Regarding the rings on the 5100s in front, there are five. I've not actually asked Bilstein directly, but from everything I've found these are probably the same thing Sonoran Steel is retailing as a custom-valved job. I could be wrong, but Manic 8-Ball said All Signs Point To Yes. Of course, you need Tundra springs to go with them. The Tundra 5100s work exceptionally, and anyone could base a good suspension package around them. Better yet, the combination of the TRD Tundra springs/5100s in front and the 890/LC Bilsteins in back work really well together on the street. It's not sketchy at all. You're going to want an All-Pro 1" spacer in front to keep the truck level, though.

I don't know about the FJ shocks - I've heard rumors, but not tested them. All you can do is try, and check the mass of the FJ versus the 4Runner, weight-bias front-to-rear, et cetera.

STICK a fork in me

PS> If you dare, tune in to my radio show on 1170AM-KCBQ, 6: PM Saturdays (Left Coast time), or simulcast me on KCBQ.com - it's called Hank Watson's Garage Hour. We talk about trucks and tools and beer and music and all sorts of dude stuff.

Slight resurrection.

Anybody used the Tundra Billie 6929's up front with '99 tall 4runner coils? I wonder how much different the stock tall 4runner coils are from the TRD Tundra springs.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 PM

So has anyone tried out the Bilstein 5100 and / or Eibach springs out front from Toytec? Just looking for some real feedback on how they ride before I pull the trigger on a front setup.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM

I've heard about the Eibach option on Bilsteins, but I can't remember where. It was posted here somewhere... The progressive TRD Tundra springs seem to work nicely, smoothly, but I don't know if the truck Eibachs are as even-tempered.

I know Eibach makes springs for a bunch of the other spring "manufacturers", including Sway-A-Way (and possibly TRD).

STICK
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by quicksilvr
Slight resurrection.

Anybody used the Tundra Billie 6929's up front with '99 tall 4runner coils? I wonder how much different the stock tall 4runner coils are from the TRD Tundra springs.
bump this. I would like to know this too!!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you can use the 6929's with runner coils, I'm pretty sure the diameter on the 6929 is too large for a 4runner coil. This is why you use the tundra isolator with a 4runner/taco tophat, the tundra coil has a larger diameter inside and out. PM Justin (Sharpstick) cause I'm pretty sure he checked this option out. Or you could just read the comments after his write-up on OffRoad.com:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Pr.../detail/618651
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the support, Mauzer.

Any Tundra coil needs to be adapted to the 4Runner top-hat (it's in the story) because it's about two centimeters wider (overall OD of the coil), so I suspect a Tundra-based coil seat on a Tundra-based shock will be too wide for the overall ID of the 4Runner coil. Also consider that any 4Runner coil will be spec'd for factory 4Runner mass, and will not only have more trouble with oversized tires on a 4Runner (more unsprung mass) but will not be very happy with anything heavy up front, such as a burly bumper or winch. That's one of the reasons the Tundra coils are great on a 4Runner - they're designed for a slightly heavier vehicle (Tundra) which is built with a suspension based on the 4Runner. The progressive TRD units are nicer still because they allow a bit of give and soften the initial coil movement a little.

Is that a good enough answer? I'm busy freaking out on that Suzan Hebson chick from Chicago... Look it up on FaceSlave (and please fan Garage Hour while you're there - that's my radio show).

STICK
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A gentleman and a scholar...so yeah...what he said