Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tubing size and flavor for radius arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tubing size and flavor for radius arms

Hey freaks, I am looking to radius arm my SAS on '97 4Runner and was wondering what size and flavor tubing would be recomended. I was thinking 1 1/2" .250 wall Chromoly, but was wondering if I needed to go Chromo? DOM? 1 3/4"? 2"?
I was also wondering about which vehicle's bushings I could use for the sleeved mounts on the axle? Also wondering about sway bars. Anyone looking to get rid of a pair ? Antirocks or equivalent.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man, you are definitely in the wrong section of the wrong forum for this! you may try moving it over to one of the fab/hardcore offroad sections. and i know the last time one of your questions was asked over at pirate it ended in a 6 page flaming war but to be honest you will get the best answers there! ttora is also a better place check with Dick he has an awesome radius arm SAS on his taco.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:11 AM

Thank you for the heads up!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

You really need to start doing more research and quit asking so many n00b questions. If your planning on doing the fabrication yourself, then learn more about the basics. Don't keep asking questions that you should know the answers to, if your going to do that type of suspension system. I wouldn't mind helping with a legitimate question, but so far all I've seen are random shots in the dark.

The first thing you need to do is come up with a plan on what type of driving you'll be doing. Then make up a list of mods that will suit your driving style. Once you have a goal, plan your build-up, in an incremental upgrade path. Do the one's that will help out the most, first and don't attempt any project you have no clue on what to do.

From your sig, you've got me totally confused :wtf: How much of that is actually on your rig? or is it just a wish list? Please just put what is actually done, because it'll make answering your question easier, if we know exactly how your rig is configured at the moment.

Last edited by BruceTS; 02-27-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:36 AM

i think he has exeverything up to the (3/04) (march 2004) cause he his planning his SAS.
Cougarfreak, I didn't realize when i posted here last night that you had already posted at ttora and pirate!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:50 PM

so, "what size tubing" is a shot in the dark? part of my research was asking those who have done links before this question to find out what is thick/strong enough, and what is not. Sorry for being a NOOB, but i've gotta start somewhere. Now, back to my original question... I have no intention on doing the hammers, or the sluice box, but I would like to do some moderate to diufficult trails, get to and from the trails in my 4Runner, and play in the desert. Recomendations on tubing size, and Chromo or DOM would be greatly appreciated... BTW thank you for the suggestion of simplifying my sig.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:10 PM

to be perfectly honest the reason you aren't getting responses here is because no one has any idea! what you are asking isn't a NOOB question on this board...it is a very advanced question dealing with things very few people have dealt with and apparently even fewer that are willing to help. i wish i could help you but all the assistance i could give would be found at Pirate and you can search there just as easy as me What i can tell you to do is check out this months 4wheel drive and sports untiliy or ok4wd.com, they built an SAS pathfinder with the exacty setup you are talking about using. i read on a nissan board today a post from the owner of that pathfinder that is in the mag and he said that he bent all of the chromo links and then they were reinforced only to bend again. now they are using some schedule 40 pipe with a piece of steel slid down in it and welded on the ends. however, there was some speculation that the chromo wasn't heat treated or something and therefore not as strong as it could have been.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:09 AM

On link type suspensions I normally use 1.5" OD .250 wall DOM. I bash mine to death , and have yet to have any problems. I see others use larger tubing but I really dont see the need. In fact on the top links it would be ok to use a thinner wall as you are probably not ever going to touch them like you will the bottom links.
Searching on PBB is your best bet for any type of link suspension (general tech forum). The subjecy has been beaten to death there.
Hope this helps,
Richard S.

PS- dont bother with 4130 it is not neccessary , and with out a "proper" post heat treatment you would not see all of the benefits of using it.

Last edited by weldpro; 03-01-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 PM

thanks a bunch, i'll check into the PBB for more. Every bit helps!!!