95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

trying to scam me?? L O N G

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to scam me?? L O N G

what a terrible experience.

The other day I leave work, truck won't start. After some brain-storming, we are convinced it is the starter. No AAA, I leave the car overnight. Next morning, I get it towed to the local mechanic (1 mile away) - COST : $55. Only went to this guy since others I work with have and had no problems. Basically told the guy it is the starter.

The whole time I was dealing with the shop owner, who I will call Habib.

Habib me later that day --> found that there was a "short circuit between ignition switch and starter relay - ran separate wire". COST : $150.

After that is done, truck starts, but he tells me it still needs starter, which I assumed. Tells me $300 for Toyota starter, can't get it same day. I call Toyota and find one 5 minutes away for $220 in stock. Buy it, bring it to him, say install it. COST : $75 for install

Total bill at pickup: $300

I pay and start to ask him (very politely), "Tell me something, honestly.." Before I get another word in, Habib abruptly and LOUDLY says "Right now you are insulting me!! Do you think I would not answer your question without honesty??". Whatever, I finish asking what I need answered and we basically understand it needed the wire ran. ok, fine.

I go to leave, and NO POWER STEERING. I go inside for answer, Habib now has a smirk on his face and says "All we did was change the starter, you can leave the truck here today and I will call you to tell you what the problem is." Now I'm pissed since this was not a problem until now, I feel like he is trying to make up for me buying the starter and saving a few bucks. I grab the mechanic out of the garage who I know did the work, take him out in the rain, pop the hood, and say - "W T F".

He immediately checks the PS fluid level, which is EMPTY. He fills it, I check for leaks, and all is good to go. I demand an explination, he mudders "I think I had to disconnect the line to get to the starter."

All in all, I feel over-charged, not treated well, and on top of that, they tried to pull one over on me like I was some idiot.

As the kicker, Habib tells me as I am leaving that he did not even want my business in the first place, and only took me because he knew someone at my office And as the door is closing, he says "Oh, and there is no warranty at all on the starter since you bought it." All the while with that same stupid smirk on his face.

I would have had it towed to MY house but I am 50 miles from work and did not want to pay the $150 in towing.

Am I justified in feeling used and abused here?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, first off, $150 for the "wire" and $75 to install the starter don't add up to $300. Secondly, the starter can be replaced in about a half-hour tops. You got SHAFTED. Wire shorted my ass. You got charged $300 to install a starter that you paid $220 for that probally just had a loose connection. By the way, did you get the old starter back? If not, then how do you know they didn't just clean up the old one and tightened the contacts and charged you $300 for the labor, then returned the starter you bought and got $220 back from the dealer?

Oh, and the starter drops from the bottom, and there's no need to disconnect the power steering lines to get it out. They drained it, hoping to ream you again to "replace" your power steering.

Check to see if the starter they installed looks new, then at lunch today, drop by and ask for the old starter. If he whines, then tell him you'll get it or call the BBB. If he doesn't give it to you, then call the BBB and file a complaint.

Last edited by bamachem; 11-12-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Dude, first off, $150 for the "wire" and $75 to install the starter don't add up to $300.
You missed the 55 towing, and they added 10 for what I can read on the bill as 'shopupples'. Add tax and there is the 300

did you get the old starter back?
Of course I did.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:39 AM

Fu***** right you should. I would have been IRATE. Habib wouldn't have gotten away with any of that had I been there. Its rare when I have to become the "customer from hell" but I don't hesitate to pull it out if the situation calls for it. I feel this situation of yours would have been one of those times!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Banned

I've owned 3 99 4runners. On my first one, I went out one morning and the starter wouldn't do anything when i turned the key. Everything else worked, but the starter acted like it just died. I changed clothes and crawled underneath to see what was going on. I found one of the wires loose with the nut about to fall off the stud. I tightened it up and tried it again and it fired right up.

On the second 99, I bought it to resell for a profit, so I checked it over. I found the same starter wire loose.

On the 99 I have now, I checked it when I was doing maintenance on it after buying it and found the same nut loose.

I'd put money on it that you had the same problem.

Last edited by bamachem; 11-12-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Only one side of the story, but Habib sounds like an ass/prick that wouldn't stay in business very long around here cause somebody would take a tire iron to him.

Regardless of what happens, file a complaint w/ the BBB and tell the folks at your office that the shop they recommended violated you, because folks like that don't need to be in business and others should know to stay away from them.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

I feel like shlt about this - thanks for the fb

can anyone tell me if there is any remote need to un-hook any steering lines in order to gain access to the starter?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Banned

Oh, and the starter drops from the bottom, and there's no need to disconnect the power steering lines to get it out. They drained it, hoping to ream you again to "replace" your power steering.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by bamachem
Red rover, red rover, Rob just got bent over. Power steering fluid = KY Jelly

Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Banned

Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 AM

Another "dirty trick" I've had attempted on me was when I brought my car
in to have the CV boots replaced. On the phone with the shop they try to
sell me a tune-up. The engine was running fine so I declined. Get the car back
and it starts running like crap the following week. I check the engine and notice
one of my spark plugs is loose (about half way unscrewed). Now I know it
didn't just come loose cause I had just replaced and torqued the plugs myself
a month earlier. Then I remember back the last time I took the car to this same
shop about a year before and the same thing had happened.

Now the first time I didn't think that the shop had done it I just thought that
it had come loose on its own. After it happened again I knew what was up.

That was the last time they got my business. I wonder how many people they
have suckered into a "tune-up" by unscrewing one of their plugs and waiting for
them to come back.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Red rover, red rover, Rob just got bent over. Power steering fluid = KY Jelly
Old 11-12-2004, 06:31 AM

Just go break his nose and have done with it. You'll feel alot better afterwads. KIDDING!!!

no seriously though: If he doesn't comply on anything, make sure you report the guy to the local District Attorney's office and, if like California, you have a Bureau of Automotive Affairs, report him there too. Ours keeps an online record you can search to see what complaints have been lodged against mechanics.

Last edited by ctcost; 11-12-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe I missed it, but did you use a CC? Just curious.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Banned

the Better Business Bureau is your friend
Old 11-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Maybe I missed it, but did you use a CC? Just curious.
yeah Christian, AMEX
Old 11-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
yeah Christian, AMEX
Time to dispute the charges with AMEX. They don't play.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know if disputing the charges would work since he accepted the work that was performed...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Time to dispute the charges with AMEX. They don't play.

Habibe would file a mechanics lien and screw up his title, then get half of Newark to terrorize poor Rob and his extended family.

Rob, can you see a "new wire?". I doubt it. If not, pictures and a Small Claims Court filing might get your money back. It sounds like Habibe The Habitual (liar) would make a fool of himself in front of a judge. The D.A. has better things to do in Joisey.

Or, blow the whole thing off. Yes, you were screwed. It could've been much more expensive, but hey it's a life lesson. It sounds like it could spiral out of control in time, effort and anxiety if you charge back and SCC. Call Vinny The Torch and be done with it. <<<J/K>>>
Old 11-12-2004, 07:43 AM

I would rather push my truck 50 miles than let "Habib" work on my junk.

Quick Reply: trying to scam me?? L O N G