Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Truck Buying Advice/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck Buying Advice/Questions

I am new to the forum and want to say to everyone and sorry for a long post or repeated questions!
I've read some threads and researched some Toyota 4Runner specifics, but would like some more advice from all of you regarding buying a used truck.
I am looking at purchasing a 1996-1998 Toyota 4Runner 4door 4X4 Limited automatic tranny miles (150-200km canadian) for about $15000 Canadian ($11000 US) next weekend, if I can find a good one.

I want to check as much as I can myself to try to find a good truck before taking it to a dealer and occurring inspection costs for every truck I look at.

Here is what I am trying to do myself:

1. Call dealership with VIN & option codes to check options, history, warrenty, repairs, recalls & TSB
2. ask seller for complete service history paperwork and compare to service maintence schedule on this site (thank you toyatech.com );
3. check temp gauge for overheating at idle and while driving
4. check fluids (check for burnt tranny fluid, dark engine fluid, check for water in the coolant top)
5. Drive/inspect truck and listen for body repairs,noises, vibrations, idle, pulls, smoke, leaks, brakes, check components (A/C, 4x4, stereo, sunroof, pwr)...basic stuff
6. check tires for wear and correct size/type as original tires

Here's what I am going to ask dealership to do:

1. check paint/body for repairs/accidents;
2. have mechanic do a 100 point inspection (electrical, suspension, brakes, tires...), check 4x4 drive/other; run computer diagnostic for codes (is this needed?); check for know issues and to do a compression/leakdown tests.

My questions (sorry for having so many):

1. If the seller just changed fluids/plugs, how can I tell how it was prior and If I check for water in coolant, its kinda hard to tell. Any other ways to check?
2. I notice 3/4 of used trucks/cars have some leaks or dry leak spots. I know if its a big spot to not buy the car, but I also will never buy a truck if I am too picky, so if a truck has a small leak or dry spot (lets say on motor, tranny or differential, should I walk away?
3.I am trying to find known issues with this yr/model outside of general maintenance/recalls (is that what TSB are?) to see if it has already been fixed by the seller or have mechanic check for these issues. Is there a list on this site or can anyone help?
4.Any advice on other checks to do as I am looking at a truck initially?
5.Any advice on other checks to have mechanic do when I find what looks to be a good truck? Vaccum leaks check? Fluid contamination test? Computer?
6.I was told to do a leak down test and not a compression test as a leak down will show more bad signs in a motor than a compression check and it would save me money from doing further checks/spending more $ Any thoughts?
7.Since I have never driven a 4X4, how do I check this myself? and can the 1996+ be driven 4X4 on pavement?
8. I read that all trannys should be smooth shifting in all gears without and clunks, rattles or slowness engaging, but is this true in a truck? do new ones do that too?
9. Is yanking the plugs out and looking at them a good idea while looking at trucks and should I not consider that truck if they are fouled/ oily.
10. Does any one know any good Toyota 4Runner mechanics in Toronto, Canada that can do all this for me instead of asking you all 1 million questions?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

DO NOT trust the dealer to do anything. Profits are all they care about. :0)
I would say a private mechanic would be your best bet, unless you know someone personally that can help you out.
That is an opinion. I was screwed on both new and used cars.
New car is my 4Runner and the tranny fluid was underfilled from the factory and overfilled by them now low again.
Who knows. I give up.
Forgot this:
I had a 96 Grand am that had the brakes done 13 times in 18 months.
They like to go by the book no matter who is right and how much it costs.
Somehow they were putting brakes on that were way too small. plus other things that I am still trying to forget about.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-02-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:07 PM

OMG 13 times thats unreal - I went thru 3 trannies with ford on a new car in like 1yr, there are some horror stories. Well I personally dislike dealing with dealers from experience, but I am looking to bring it to them for computer diagnostic tests and to check for know issues - rear sag... and a used car test rather than repairs, so this is why I am researching/asking questions - to avoid bringing it to them blindly and question 10 is to avoid them completely. I will research toyota/japanese mechanic that are non-dealerships once I find the right truck.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I can tell you, some folks at dealerships don't know squat.
I'll post this again. I went to the dealer for TRD exhaust and headers. Gave them the parts numbers and all, and they still ordered the wrong cat-back after I did all the work for them.
Then the mechanics were having major problems with it. Make a long, sad story short... after 2 WEEKS I had my truck back.
It's a shame that Toyota has such a great car, but morons, in most cases, helping you at the dealer.
me---> <--- dealer
Old 07-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

96 runner

Originally Posted by johnkay
I am new to the forum and want to say to everyone and sorry for a long post or repeated questions!
I've read some threads and researched some Toyota 4Runner specifics, but would like some more advice from all of you regarding buying a used truck.
I am looking at purchasing a 1996-1998 Toyota 4Runner 4door 4X4 Limited automatic tranny miles (150-200km canadian) for about $15000 Canadian ($11000 US) next weekend, if I can find a good one.

I want to check as much as I can myself to try to find a good truck before taking it to a dealer and occurring inspection costs for every truck I look at.

Here is what I am trying to do myself:

1. Call dealership with VIN & option codes to check options, history, warrenty, repairs, recalls & TSB
2. ask seller for complete service history paperwork and compare to service maintence schedule on this site (thank you toyatech.com );
3. check temp gauge for overheating at idle and while driving
4. check fluids (check for burnt tranny fluid, dark engine fluid, check for water in the coolant top)
5. Drive/inspect truck and listen for body repairs,noises, vibrations, idle, pulls, smoke, leaks, brakes, check components (A/C, 4x4, stereo, sunroof, pwr)...basic stuff
6. check tires for wear and correct size/type as original tires

Here's what I am going to ask dealership to do:

1. check paint/body for repairs/accidents;
2. have mechanic do a 100 point inspection (electrical, suspension, brakes, tires...), check 4x4 drive/other; run computer diagnostic for codes (is this needed?); check for know issues and to do a compression/leakdown tests.

My questions (sorry for having so many):

1. If the seller just changed fluids/plugs, how can I tell how it was prior and If I check for water in coolant, its kinda hard to tell. Any other ways to check?
2. I notice 3/4 of used trucks/cars have some leaks or dry leak spots. I know if its a big spot to not buy the car, but I also will never buy a truck if I am too picky, so if a truck has a small leak or dry spot (lets say on motor, tranny or differential, should I walk away?
3.I am trying to find known issues with this yr/model outside of general maintenance/recalls (is that what TSB are?) to see if it has already been fixed by the seller or have mechanic check for these issues. Is there a list on this site or can anyone help?
4.Any advice on other checks to do as I am looking at a truck initially?
5.Any advice on other checks to have mechanic do when I find what looks to be a good truck? Vaccum leaks check? Fluid contamination test? Computer?
6.I was told to do a leak down test and not a compression test as a leak down will show more bad signs in a motor than a compression check and it would save me money from doing further checks/spending more $ Any thoughts?
7.Since I have never driven a 4X4, how do I check this myself? and can the 1996+ be driven 4X4 on pavement?
8. I read that all trannys should be smooth shifting in all gears without and clunks, rattles or slowness engaging, but is this true in a truck? do new ones do that too?
9. Is yanking the plugs out and looking at them a good idea while looking at trucks and should I not consider that truck if they are fouled/ oily.
10. Does any one know any good Toyota 4Runner mechanics in Toronto, Canada that can do all this for me instead of asking you all 1 million questions?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
hello there

my brother was telling me about a place in cambridge next to voll motors on hwy 24 that has a couple you may want to check out. the mileage and pricing is in your ballpark. he cant remember the name of the place though. if you drive down to see them take hwy 24 south off the 401 cross over pinebush road and volls used cars is on your right hand side (630 hespeler rd). phone is 1-519-623-1553, hope that helps.

lee
Old 07-04-2004, 09:10 PM

Thx man but kinda far (in Toronto) and Im lookin private to avoid dealers.
Cambridge... does have some cheaper ones though - I'm hoping to get one this weekend as I am sick of looking (2 months now) and people jump on them b4 I get a chance (really sucks).
Old 07-08-2004, 04:41 AM

Off to look at 97 4runner ltd

Its a little more and forest green than I wanted to pay but has only 75000km (110000 miles). Any last minute advice before I drop all my hard earned money on the sucker.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

hey there

any luck on the new truck? when i found mine, i was on my way to work in the morning, it was still there on the way home, good sign! when i got home i told the g/f that we were heading out to look at a newer truck. we looked, we test drove, we haggled and we bought. i found this site shortly afterwards and the mods have begun! hope you managed to get a good deal and it is what you were looking for. if you get over to kitchener, let me know and we can meet up.

lee