Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tried it out in the snow today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried it out in the snow today

Well, its snowing harder than I have ever seen it before in Charlotte, NC. We have over a foot in some places. Throwing good judgement into the wind, I decided to go out and play. Actually, more to experiment. I have a six month old 03 Limited and have been hoping for snow this winter so I can try it out.. You see, I had an E36 M3 last year and it would not go in the slightest dusting. So, it had to go.

I got a bit scared when I first hit the stuff because there was all that snow crackeling inder the tires. But when I gave it some gas, the truck took off almost as though there was nothing on the road. A bit bumpier though. I gave plenty of gas, took a few turns, went through a few mounds about a foot and a half deep. Couldnt be stopped. The brakes slowed down extremely well. The tires are stock Michelins. I passed several stuck cars... SUCKERS...

This truck surpassed every one of my expectations. It loves the slop!!!. I dont have to miss work now. I can go anywhere at any time. I cant wait for the drive in tomorrow. WOO HOO!!! I think I will go back out now! Those of you considering a new 4runner and wondering about snow performance, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by abunich
Well, its snowing harder than I have ever seen it before in Charlotte, NC. We have over a foot in some places. Throwing good judgement into the wind, I decided to go out and play. Actually, more to experiment. I have a six month old 03 Limited and have been hoping for snow this winter so I can try it out.. You see, I had an E36 M3 last year and it would not go in the slightest dusting. So, it had to go.

I got a bit scared when I first hit the stuff because there was all that snow crackeling inder the tires. But when I gave it some gas, the truck took off almost as though there was nothing on the road. A bit bumpier though. I gave plenty of gas, took a few turns, went through a few mounds about a foot and a half deep. Couldnt be stopped. The brakes slowed down extremely well. The tires are stock Michelins. I passed several stuck cars... SUCKERS...

This truck surpassed every one of my expectations. It loves the slop!!!. I dont have to miss work now. I can go anywhere at any time. I cant wait for the drive in tomorrow. WOO HOO!!! I think I will go back out now! Those of you considering a new 4runner and wondering about snow performance, you will not be dissapointed.

Thats great!!!
But please remember you can't stop or turn any better than the suckers you mentioned...
Old 02-27-2004, 03:44 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by Pawk
Thats great!!!
But please remember you can't stop or turn any better than the suckers you mentioned...
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! With you being in an area in which you don't get a lot of experience driving in snow and slop, it can be very easy to get over confident. Too many times have I seen 4 wheelers hot dogging and ending up in worse shape than the 2 wheelers. However, the knowledge that you can go when others can't is a great feeling!

Last edited by Rick F.; 02-27-2004 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:11 AM

Thats good to hear abunich! I've also been curious as to how a 4th gen compares to a 3rd gen in moderate to heavy snow conditions. It appears they're very similar. The 4th gens have yet to appeal to me (especially their "appearance"), but that is changing. Its a gradual process which I'd bet many 2nd & 3rd gen owners can understand. I'm beginning to picture myself in one though in a few more years.
One other major improvement I've noticed is that in 4WD, you have a better bite through a slow 90 deg turn (ie: no-stop turning off of highway onto rural road) in snowy/slick conditions. There's much less front wheel slipping & putting you in a ditch than the 2WD pickup I was use to.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TaterN
Thats good to hear abunich! I've also been curious as to how a 4th gen compares to a 3rd gen in moderate to heavy snow conditions. It appears they're very similar. The 4th gens have yet to appeal to me (especially their "appearance"), but that is changing. Its a gradual process which I'd bet many 2nd & 3rd gen owners can understand. I'm beginning to picture myself in one though in a few more years.
One other major improvement I've noticed is that in 4WD, you have a better bite through a slow 90 deg turn (ie: no-stop turning off of highway onto rural road) in snowy/slick conditions. There's much less front wheel slipping & putting you in a ditch than the 2WD pickup I was use to.
glad to hear you had some fun in the runner. just wait until you have some real snow tires
but like others said, be careful anyway. sure you'll get further than the average guy, but 4wd can still slip up, and then 4 wheels out of control is just as bad as 2.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by abunich
I had an E36 M3 last year and it would not go in the slightest dusting. So, it had to go.
I too just sold my bimmer. My E46 328i will be sadly missed but I have a new love. My Tacoma!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:13 AM

I feel OK about my ability in the snow. I used to live in Philadelphia and learned over the years there. It is the other drivers that I have to worry about. Also, I didn't go nuts. Just enough to plow through 12-14 inches and see how the rig handels.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 AM

we got about 6"-8" here in Mooresville

heres a pic of the roadster and the runners although i dont have a front driveshaft yet i still had to hit the trail since the last snow my truck was gettin a solid axle

Attached Thumbnails Tried it out in the snow today-m-n-snow.jpg  
Old 02-27-2004, 11:00 AM

I measured 18" out back in Matthews, seems the south side got hit harder than up near the lake (that's a switch !)

I'm gonna try my Taco out this afternoon in my neighborhood, I watched a Land Cruiser put the first tracks on the street..slow, but sure !

For the northerners laughing, I grew up in Upstate NY (Buffalo area), been down here 24 years. Some of these drivers are pure nuts ! driving around BA Lexus' like they were H1s and ending up on the side of the road bassackwards !
Oh, how many plows does Mecklenburg County have .... ready Erie County, NY... 5 !!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:06 AM

plows?? dont you mean tractors and there are TONS!!!!!!!!!!!!