Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Exhaust

Old 04-14-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Exhaust

I have a TRD Exhaust for my 2001 4Runner.
I have been having issues w/ it rubbing the Addco Swaybar in the rear. I've taken it to a muffler shop and they welded a hanger to it to pull it away from the swaybar. now, the tailpipe is hitting the frame. i've read Gadget's article about removing 1 1/2"-2" from the piece that comes after the muffler. this past weekend, i took the 4runner back to the exhaust place because the hanger broke. the mechanic told me that the exhaust was not installed properly. the piece that comes after the muffler and before the tail pipe was welded at the incorrect angle. my dealer won't touch it because the swaybars are aftermarket. can this piece that comes after the muffler, but before the tailpipe be ordered seperately? any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 AM

I dunno. I would take it back to the muffler shop. Have him cut the exhaust after the muffler. Put a collar over the cut and turn the tailpipe to where it should be. Weld or clamp it up. Your done.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy, I feel your pain.

Here is a picture of what I understand is the old style bar design and the revised design as per the bar I just received. You can tell which is the old bar because it has the wear marks where the paint is worn off. This is where the flange was rubbing on the bar, which is the same problem you are having.

I think it is very wrong for your muffler mechanic is to have suggested attaching a bracket to "pull" the system away from the bar. I can tell you why but it really should be obvious (read STRESS). Mr. Gadget suggested cutting off a length (+/- 1.5") of the elbow that is the muffler outlet pipe before the flange. You would then have to add the equivalent length to the tailpipe ... after the flange. When you spend that much money for the system, it just doesn’t make sense to me to cobble it up, and I won't do that. I feel that it will jeopardize the longevity and integrity of the system. I know the question is, what should you do?

I can't tell you if the new (?) bar that I have will alleviate the problem you are having. I took my TRD exhaust system off and don’t plan on reinstalling it, because I don’t want a system that is as loud as the TRD system is. Do you know if you have the 1st or 2nd design bar?

Look at JALaber’s site. He has pics of the different bars and I think he has pics of how the bar fits in relation to the exhaust he has. However, I am not sure which exhaust system he is using. I also think that the design bar I have now adds a 3rd design into the Addco design mix, but I am not sure yet. I have asked JALaber to look at my pics. Addco has not only moved their plant but they hired a lot of new production people so they are not totally informed (IMHO).

I can send you more pictures of the two bars sitting side-by-side but I won’t be putting the TRD system back on. Sorry.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

I have the factory CA spec exhaust.

Peter, it looks like you have a third design rear bar. My new bar is exactly the same shape as the old bar only the new design has the center section angled up more. It appears that your is not angled up but rather a curved narrower bend to try avoiding contact with the flange. Is that correct? Let us know how it works out in combination with the factory exhaust. I get no rubbing at all.

Here is some pics...click for a larger version.

New bar on top, pre-09/2000 bar on bottom.

new bar
Old 04-14-2003, 06:31 PM

J.A.-
That would be my initial thought ... a 3rd Gen bar, but it appears that the distance from the flange is about the same as with the one I had on before. I'd gauge the separation at about .75 - 1.0 inches. It fits fine and I will not have any problem with it using the OE exhaust system, but I have no idea how it would work with the TRD exhaust. If I were a betting man I would say there would be no improvement. Curiosity almost makes me want to put the TRD exhaust back on just to prove a point ... but I am not that inspired.

Let me post more pictures here at the risk of boring everyone else and not uncovering anything new.

It seems as if I can only post one attachment per message ... Correct?

Photos to follow ...
Old 04-14-2003, 06:47 PM

Addco Bar 2nd vs 3rd design #1

Here is the first of three pics
Old 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM

Addco Bar 2nd vs 3rd design #2

The second pic ...
Old 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM

Addco Bar 2nd vs 3rd design #3

And the last pic
Old 04-15-2003, 04:30 AM

ManyMods,
are your swaybars Addco? I notice that they are red. did u paint them? My swaybar looks like the one pictured in Jalaber's post (gold in color). i'll have to get underneath my truck and take some pics; so that u all can get a better idea of how close the swaybar comes to the exhaust.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by broknlgs24
ManyMods,
are your swaybars Addco? I notice that they are red. did u paint them? My swaybar looks like the one pictured in Jalaber's post (gold in color). i'll have to get underneath my truck and take some pics; so that u all can get a better idea of how close the swaybar comes to the exhaust.
Yes, the bars are RED POWDERCOATED <<< ADDCO >>> bars. When you order them you can specify that you want them PC'd and Addco will do it for you ... no charge.

You want pics of the bar / TRD flange from underneith? Does this look familiar?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:35 AM

yep, looks all to familiar.
from what i am reading, u and jalaber have different generation swaybars, correct? i also notice that both of u have factory exhausts. the flange piece, is that welded on during installation or is that already attached. the muffler guy at my local shop told me that the flange was welded at the wrong angle. is this possible?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:14 AM

yep, looks all to familiar.
from what i am reading, u and jalaber have different generation swaybars, correct? i also notice that both of u have factory exhausts. the flange piece, is that welded on during installation or is that already attached. the muffler guy at my local shop told me that the flange was welded at the wrong angle. is this possible?
You need to find another brain surgeon.

The TRD system is certainly NOT a mirror of the OE system, but the flange(s) are not welded on incorrectly. Since you have the TRD system you know that the system comes in two sections, just like the OEM system. The difference is that the outlet pipes are bent at different angles, the OEM being more abrupt and sharper. Also, the TRD tailpipe rides higher and closer to the underbody / frame. Then of course there is that resonator inline on the tail pipe.

I would imagine that the TRD system would work just fine with the OE bar? Have you tried that yet just for the sake of clarity?

If you are intent on trying to have both the TRD system and the Addco bar ... and you have determined that you have the 2nd, not the 1st, design bar then I would get with someone who wants to buy a set of bars and see if he will let you try on the 3rd design bar, like the one I have before he installs it on his truck. Am I making sense here? Otherwise, you could order another bar and see if there is a difference.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:56 AM

ok, i think it makes sense. but just to be sure, when the TRD exhaust is shipped, the flange is alreaddy welded to the muffler. that piece is installed, the the tailpipe is bolted to the flange, correct?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:28 AM

ok, i think it makes sense. but just to be sure, when the TRD exhaust is shipped, the flange is alreaddy welded to the muffler. that piece is installed, the the tailpipe is bolted to the flange, correct?
Yes, that is correct. But you cannot mix and match OEM with TRD.
Did you buy your TRD system new?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:21 PM

2 months after purchasing the 4runner, i had it S/C. about 6 months after that, i had the exhaust installed. both parts were purchased from a dealer; however, i was not raped w/ high prices. finally, a few months after that, i had the swaybars installed. it didn't take long for me to notice the rattle.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM

2 months after purchasing the 4runner, i had it S/C. about 6 months after that, i had the exhaust installed. both parts were purchased from a dealer; however, i was not raped w/ high prices. finally, a few months after that, i had the swaybars installed. it didn't take long for me to notice the rattle.
Yeah, that's about my story too. I had 1600 miles on mine when I had the SC installed. Then I installed the TRD exhaust about 1000 miles later. Then I installed the bars and after about 500 miles the knocking and banging started. The bar used to catch under the flange and push the tailpipe right up to the cargo area floor ... BANG!

I hated to take the TRD exhaust off but between the banging and the begging :cry: from my wife, it was clear it had to go.

We're a family united again.