Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Boost Gauge = Fuel Vapor smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRD Boost Gauge = Fuel Vapor smell?

I have been complaining about a fuel vapor smell in the passenger cabin for quite some time and no one can find the source of the odor. The smell was only noticeable under load or hard acceleration. Somewhere in the back of my mind a light went on telling me that after I had the SC installed and before I installed the Boost gauge, there was no vapor smell. As a last resort, I disconnected the Boost gauge the other day, at the manifold line where it T's into the FPR line that plumbs into the Boost port. As a result, I no longer smell any fumes whatsoever. I kept thinking that I am nuts to think this was the problem and before I start jumping up and down about a defective gauge, I would contact Autometer.

I just got off the phone with Autometer. They said that what I am describing makes sense and that I should find another location to connect the Boost gauge so that it is not in line with the fuel management system. I asked if there was a chance that the gauge is bad and they said absolutely not.

My question is:
Where else can I plumb the Boost line so that I get an accurate reading of both vacuum and boost?
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 03-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's good info to know. I just bought a boost guage, so I am also wondering where else to hook it up to.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 AM

I must say that I am somewhat skeptical that the gauge itself is not the culprit. However, I don't know if there is a seal or some sort of diaphragm that could fail in some way.

I think I am going to order up another gauge so that I can rule out that possibility.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:04 AM

This has happened before. It usually turns out to be not making the compression fitting on the nylon line at the gauge tight enough.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 03-18-2003, 12:21 PM

Seems to make sense G-man. I haven't had any gas smell in the cabin(except for me).....
Old 03-18-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
This has happened before. It usually turns out to be not making the compression fitting on the nylon line at the gauge tight enough.
www.GadgetOnline.com
I have thought about this and agree that it is a distinct possibility. I have installed at least 6 vac gauges and have never had a problem, but there is always a first time. I intend to redo the fittings on both ends. You can't compress the ferules too vigorously or they will cant sideways and kink the nylon line. I used liquid Teflon sealant on the threaded part of the fittings. I am comforted by knowing that this has happened before and a simple solution was found. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:27 PM

I think I'm okay now

I realize that to many of you my woes are totally insignificant and trivial, taking away from the higher level concerns focusing on serious engine and suspension tuning. I shouldn't even be taking up the bandwidth with such nonsense. However, like anything else, this is important to ME, and that is why I am here on this board ... to learn and to share. Well, I must say that I have learned something and I want to share my experience even if it is at the risk of being redundant, and even if it is personally embarrassing to me.

Mr. Gadget casually mentioned that the fuel smell problem I have been experiencing, in the past where a Boost gauge is installed, has been attributed to a loose line compression fitting connection at the back of the gauge. I had thought about this but dismissed it temporarily because surely I would not make such a careless mistake and I was looking for a more dramatic cause for this problem. Well, the suggestion prompted me to increase the priority of such a possibility and I redid the connections yesterday at both ends. I have driven the truck now for almost two full days and there is not a hint of odor in the passenger cabin. I am embarrassed by my carelessness, but would rather “share” my experience than sit in macho silence and let the subject fade into the black hole of the unknown and unresolved, like so many other mysteries we all encounter.

I hope that I am right in my conclusion and I hope that this is the end of the problem. Thanks for listening and thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM

So, I am bringing this back from the dead.

My 2000 4runner has been running a Gen 2 SC for 8 months now. Recently I have been noticing a strong fuel smell under heavy load(3+ PSI of boost). However, I only smell it when a window is down or sunroof cracked.

I just today double checked all fuel line clamps and even dropped the tank to get the ones on top. Everything is tight.

Anyway, I am now going to check the boost gauge fittings and such. This has been driving me nuts, and I was just about to order up new fuel injector o-rings thinking maybe I had a leak.

Last edited by ScottyC; 02-14-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM

Scotty, You might want to replace the entire boost guage line including the fittings. I say this because it is possible that somehow your line became chafed and there is a tiny pinhole in it. Of course, check the fittings first. I have had zero problems with mine since my repair in 2003.

Last edited by ManyMods; 02-14-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ManyMods
Scotty, You might want to replace the entire boost guage line including the fittings. I say this because it is possible that somehow your line became chafed and there is a tiny pinhole in it. Of course, check the fittings first. I have had zero problems with mine since my repair in 2003.
Will do.

BTW, I have been giving serious thought to the 7th injector and 2.2 pulley. How has your tranny held up. How often do you do full throttle runs from stop with it? I have an extra valve body sitting at the shop that I was going to shim, and was curious how yours has held up over the years.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 AM

The 7th Injector was essential for good all around even performance, and I like the 2.2 pulley. My Tranny is fine. I change the fluid, filter and clean the pan roughly every 35K miles. I cannot say I do that many WOT sprints with the truck but I will say I don't like the abruptness of the shifting on soft throttle acceleration. However, what is 'abrupt' to me will probably be mild to you.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ManyMods
I had my sunglasses sliding around on my dash; they may have caused caused a tiny pinhole in my boost gauge line. I never smelled fuel and the readings weren't signifigantly off, but I could definatley hear it.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Okay its not the gauge. I capped off the plug at the T fitting and its still doing it. I think it may be a bad o-ring on the injector. Looks like the Supercharger is coming off this week.

Is there any other possibly scenario or culprit? I cannot small anything at normal idle at all. Only under load at 3+ PSI.

I have been throwing a random P0171 code from time to time. Yes, I have cleaned the MAF and while it helps a little, it never solved it. And, it would make sense that I would be getting a lean code from a leaking injector. However, I do have a ˟˟˟˟ty open air filter that I had to run to make room for my ARB compressor. There was just no other place to put it so I was forced to run it.

Last edited by ScottyC; 02-15-2011 at 02:39 PM.