Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Issues

Hello, I'm new here, new to 4wheelin too, I've come over here from the land of street speed, used to own a turbo dodge daytona, worst car ever but stupid fast and lots of fun.

anywho, I've recently bought a 90 4Runner, auto, 297k km, the body is imaculet, engine is mint, and i'm starting to have issues with the trans.
- transmission wont always shift into reverse, or better put it will shift part way, but not fully engage.
- when in drive it would seem the clutches are starting to slip, making it very difficult to maintain speed at 80+ km/h. This problem is not always present, but is getting more and more noticable daily.

so far i've drained the Litre and half excess fluid that was in there when i bought it and done a complete fluid flush, this helped for a day or so, then the problems came back.

I'm really hopeing that all i have is a sticky reverse valve, and that it is possible to adjust the clutch bands on the forward gears.

thanks for any help
Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jedd
Hello, I'm new here, new to 4wheelin too, I've come over here from the land of street speed, used to own a turbo dodge daytona, worst car ever but stupid fast and lots of fun.

anywho, I've recently bought a 90 4Runner, auto, 297k km, the body is imaculet, engine is mint, and i'm starting to have issues with the trans.
- transmission wont always shift into reverse, or better put it will shift part way, but not fully engage.
- when in drive it would seem the clutches are starting to slip, making it very difficult to maintain speed at 80+ km/h. This problem is not always present, but is getting more and more noticable daily.

so far i've drained the Litre and half excess fluid that was in there when i bought it and done a complete fluid flush, this helped for a day or so, then the problems came back

I'm really hopeing that all i have is a sticky reverse valve, and that it is possible to adjust the clutch bands on the forward gears.

thanks for any help
There is not a reverse valve per say, and there is only one non adjustable band- it is used for providing engine braking in manual second.

It sounds as if you may be in need of repair or replacement of your trans.

-John
Old 03-23-2004, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over filling a transmission can do alot of damage. Usually what happens is the fluid foams and creates pressure witch will blow out seals and gaskets like the one in the valve body. :pat: Dont ask me how I know. :pat:

A liter and a half is alot of fluid, what was the guy
Old 03-23-2004, 09:44 PM

soooo, what i'm gathering from your post John, is that the bands are adjustable except for one. and if there isin't a reverse "valve" what is there?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jedd
soooo, what i'm gathering from your post John, is that the bands are adjustable except for one. and if there isin't a reverse "valve" what is there?
Sorry, what I meant was that there is only one band and it is non adjustable and has nothing to do with reverse anyway.

To get reverse ratio in an automatic transmission, many things need to happen in concert, there is no "silver bullet" to fix it. It is probably time to get an overhaul. This especially true when you mention that you are having slippage going forward at times also.

-John