Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission cooler install without taking out grill

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission cooler install without taking out grill

I installed my transmission cooler without taking out the grill and it is not that bad to do. so here it is.
I got a part # BMM-70268 from Summit and it came as a kit so you dont need alot more to do the job.
I needed 4 more clamps and 2 self drilling screws.
I read alot of posts on here for how to do it and I made my own conclusions on how to do it.
I mounted the two top brackets loosly to the core, allowing for them to swing freely so they will fall behind the cooler. I put the hose only on the right side of the cooler.
I bent the two bottom brackets approx. 1.25" from one end and then went another 1" from that and bent them back the other way. so that they kinda look like a z with the middle streight. I mounted these to the cooler and tightened them so they just move with some force.( I have pics if you want to see them please email me they are to large for on here. )
I also put two of the foam pads on the cooler, One on the back at the top in the middle and the other on the front about 2" down from the top. these stop the core rubbing against the support and the condensor.
I then got under the front of the 4runner and you can see behind the bumper so I slid the cooler up the right side and behind the middle brace, I then went up top and secured the two top braces the the horn mounts on each side and then tightened the bolts on the cooler with two open ended wrench's
I took off the number plate and got my drill set up with a 1/4 inch long extension in it and then a 8mm socket on it ( the size of the head for the self drilling screws) placed the two lower brackets where I wanted them to sit on the brace below the radiator and drilled them in.
I then took off the tray under the engine compartment and ran the hoses to the factory cooler. and checked the transmission fluid lvl.
easy as that.
Please email me with requests for pics as once again they are two big to attach them.
and of course any ideas or suggestions are always welcome.