Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transfer case skids

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case skids

Ok people wanted a skid plate for there transfer case and tranny. This is what I came up with. I have seen most of the designs out there for Tacoma that use 3\16in plate with some reinforcements and they work great for mild off-road wheelin but I have seen friends tear them up on rocky Trails. So I went at it from a different angle.

This is a complete bolt on replace your stock cross member with a transfer case skid and a tranny skid.

The skid plates remove so you can access your drain and refill points.

I also tried to incorporate a cut out for the front drive shaft for those that have a SAS. I may need to change it a little bit. But you get the idea.

I'm going to make a couple more for my 4runner and a few friends so I can see how it installs on different trucks.

Any questions ask away here. If you think you might want to order one. E-mail me they would be a couple weeks out. I know the other ones out there like this range from 250-300 to stay competitive Cost would be 289.00 powder coated.

I still need to test fit it on a 5spd and a 4runner to make sure it works for all applications.

Anyquestiosn ask away? Oh and the front skid plats for IFS are coming soon!

Not sure how to post pictures I have some posted here http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacom...Reading+%3E%3E

I can send you some via e-mail if you like.

Last edited by JDeMello; 11-12-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

sounds cool indeed. but that link doesn't work. i sure would like to see it. email me some pics and i can host them if you want.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member

The link works, you just need to log onto the TTORA forums. The thread is in the Dealers and Shops section.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:18 AM

We're thinking along the same lines. I'm working on doing the same thing to raise the clearance up with new cross members and skids together too. But, you beat me to it. But, one thing I would change if you're openfor suggestions is to make the mounting bolts resessed by raising the mounting points on the tubing up, using a little bracket keeping the plate in the same place, but have a hole with the bolt recessed up inside there away from the rocks, because they would definitely get sheered off, and may never be able to resintall or remove with ease.

Chris
Old 11-13-2003, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
We're thinking along the same lines. I'm working on doing the same thing to raise the clearance up with new cross members and skids together too. But, you beat me to it. But, one thing I would change if you're openfor suggestions is to make the mounting bolts resessed by raising the mounting points on the tubing up, using a little bracket keeping the plate in the same place, but have a hole with the bolt recessed up inside there away from the rocks, because they would definitely get sheered off, and may never be able to resintall or remove with ease.

Chris
I had planned to do that! up until the last min. I wan't too keep the cost down. I can still do them on request. BUt I was thinking some rounded allen heads would be a happy medium?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by Bighead
The link works, you just need to log onto the TTORA forums. The thread is in the Dealers and Shops section.
Can you show me how or post pictures here for me?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by JDeMello
Can you show me how or post pictures here for me?
Here is one way to post pictures. First you sign up for a free webshots page. Here is the site http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi Then you down load your pictures into one of your free albums. Next, and this is very important, LOG OFF the webshots site and find your own pictures while logged off (use the search feature looking for your own member name). Then copy the http:// of the page you want to link to. It can be a single picture like this one or it can be a whole page of choices like this one Good luck and share those pics!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Looking good!!

Old 11-13-2003, 07:29 AM

1. does the crossmember sit higher than the stock one?
2. how much are you looking at for those?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by JDeMello
I had planned to do that! up until the last min. I wan't too keep the cost down. I can still do them on request. BUt I was thinking some rounded allen heads would be a happy medium?
If that was done, I would recess the actual plate up enough sothe mounting allen heads or flush with the tubing's lowest point. This way there is only a very slight chance of hitting the allen heads on a rock since the tubing is so close to the mounting bolts. Good stuff!

Chris
Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by mt_goat
Here is one way to post pictures. First you sign up for a free webshots page. Here is the site http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi Then you down load your pictures into one of your free albums. Next, and this is very important, LOG OFF the webshots site and find your own pictures while logged off (use the search feature looking for your own member name). Then copy the http:// of the page you want to link to. It can be a single picture like this one or it can be a whole page of choices like this one Good luck and share those pics!
Thanks. I'll need to remember that!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by PoBoy
Looking good!!

Thanks
Old 11-13-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by INsr5runner
1. does the crossmember sit higher than the stock one?
2. how much are you looking at for those?
In some places it's lower the center. In some places it's slightly lower. Cost is going to be around 289.00-300.00
Old 11-13-2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by ravencr
If that was done, I would recess the actual plate up enough sothe mounting allen heads or flush with the tubing's lowest point. This way there is only a very slight chance of hitting the allen heads on a rock since the tubing is so close to the mounting bolts. Good stuff!

Chris
I'm going to play with a couple ideas but in the end the bolts will be out harms way.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:04 AM

Cool man! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris