Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

transfer case refresher

Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case refresher

Refresh my memory if you could please.

Wasn't the '98 4runner the last 4runner to have a true transfer case in it that if one wanted to, you could do a front lock-out swap on the hubs?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Question

True transfer case? Never heard of such a thing.

95 was the last year that had locking hubs(optional). That has nothing to do with the transfer case though.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM

when you put it in 2H, it's in 2H.

I thought that 98 was the last year for that,

99 on it was more like the jeep quadtrac.

My 4Runner died in 2008 and I am looking to finally get back into either a 4Runner or a Tacoma. I'd love to stick front lockouts on whatever I get though. What's the latest model I can go for that.

I am rusty on my yota-fu though.

ETA:

My thinking is I am looking to get a job in ND working the oil fields. For housing, I am looking at a Class A motor coach with a diesel pusher engine. For a run-around truck, I am looking at a 4Runner or a Tacoma pickup. Every thing I am seeing scream 95-04 tacoma with manual t-case and tranny for flat towing.
http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

Last edited by farmerj; 02-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM

When you put it in 2H, it's in 2H. That's correct, that's exactly what a transfer case does. But do you mean 98 was the last year for that, as in the transfer case being in 2H when you put it in 2H? Or the last year for the locking hub option? And I thought we were talking about 4Runners here. Tacomas are another story BTW. They've always had locking hubs as an option...AFAIK. I'm afraid I'm not following you on this part...

So...you're looking at a 95-04 Tacoma with manual t-case and tranny for flat towing. Alrighty then, I checked your link there, and I can follow that line of reasoning...to a point. I still don't see what having locking hubs has to do with it though. It's got nothing to do with it that I'm aware of...

Anybody wanna give me a hand with this one? Am I missing something here?

FYI, that comment about the 99 Heep blah blah blah isn't worthy of a response as far as I care. So's ya know I ain't missin' nothing there. I heard it...don't care...

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
FYI, that comment about the 99 Heep blah blah blah isn't worthy of a response as far as I care. So's ya know I ain't missin' nothing there. I heard it...don't care...
WTH are you talking about?

It's my understanding you can't flat tow a quadtrac transfer case on a Jeep. You'll tear up the driveline.

I would love and much prefer to have a 4Runner that you can flat tow behind an RV. THAT is ultimately the meaning of this post.

From what I can figure, the 95-04 Tacoma's with Manual tranny and t-case can do such a thing....

Which 4Runners can you do the same thing?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM

As for the 4runners: '96 and newer, none have manual hubs, but have the ADD so that even though the cv's are still turning while in 2hi, the front drive shaft is not, nor any parts inside the differential or front output of the t-case. (At least that's how it works on my 4runner, I have the manual shift type. I know there is another type with the button activated 4wd on the shift lever).

Tacomas: manual hubs were optional up to about '99 or '00 i think. most people doing the manual hub conversion are robbing parts from those they can find in the junkyard. Tacos also have the same ADD for the "auto" hub versions. Same with the t-case options, some are manual shift and some have the button shift.

Either way, with manual hubs or with ADD, with the exception of the cv axles, none of the front driveline parts are in motion until you put the t-case in 4wd.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by farmerj
WTH are you talking about?

It's my understanding you can't flat tow a quadtrac transfer case on a Jeep. You'll tear up the driveline.
Say the "J" word one more time and I'm gonna come unglued...I'm warnin' ya!!!
Originally Posted by farmerj
Which 4Runners can you do the same thing?
Good question...
Originally Posted by team_gforce
As for the 4runners: '96 and newer, none have manual hubs, but have the ADD so that even though the cv's are still turning while in 2hi, the front drive shaft is not, nor any parts inside the differential or front output of the t-case. (At least that's how it works on my 4runner, I have the manual shift type. I know there is another type with the button activated 4wd on the shift lever).

Tacomas: manual hubs were optional up to about '99 or '00 i think. most people doing the manual hub conversion are robbing parts from those they can find in the junkyard. Tacos also have the same ADD for the "auto" hub versions. Same with the t-case options, some are manual shift and some have the button shift.

Either way, with manual hubs or with ADD, with the exception of the cv axles, none of the front driveline parts are in motion until you put the t-case in 4wd.
Good stuff. Except for your lack of understanding concerning how the ADD system works. Albeit slight.

Hint: The CVs + side gear shafts + side gears + spider gears = all turning/spinning/in motion at all times on an ADD system. The front propeller shaft + ring & pinon gears + carrier are only turning when the system "connects" the other CV drive shaft(the one not constantly connected to the differential) to the "disconnected" differential via the vacuum-actuated clutch mechanism in the front axle housing.

And I still have to say that this whole concept has nothing to do with whether or not a vehicle can be flat towed as is.

Cutting to the chase on that. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure it's a matter of transmission and/or transfer case lubrication. And whether or not that can be supplied by means other than being driven by engine torque. As in with everything in "neutral", does the oil still circulate adequately so as to lubricate any and all parts that would now be driven/spun/turned by the rear propeller shaft instead?

Here's some clues you obviously missed:
Application Notes
A drive shaft coupling will allow this vehicle to be towed four on the ground. Measure flange bolt pattern (2 3/8" square or 2 5/8" square).
Application Notes
Vehicle is not towable from Manufacturer. No Lube Pump Kit available.
http://www.remcotowing.com/remco_lube_pump

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ulti-mode.html may clear things up.

If you want manual hubs, you will need to do a swap.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...n-3rd-gen.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...king-hubs.html
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM

i think he means maybe the floor shift and not that buttom crap? if thats the case then no, i belive 2004 is when they stopped the floor shift.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
No, me means center diff transfer case versus non center diff transfer case. You know, like the ones that have VSC and all that fancy traction control stuff...