Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tranny temp gauge, pan or manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny temp gauge, pan or manifold?

I've done a bunch of searching and found some good info, ie the write up by Manymods https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/i...e-gauge-25927/

On the one hand a tranny temp gauge in the pan is representative of the hottest fluid, which is what I want, however the pan needs to be dropped and is time consuming and expensive to pay someone.

On the otherhand a manifold in the "out" of tranny line, before it goes into the cooler, like this one http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...l.aspx?vid=165

However, the temp would be a bit lower in the "out" of tranny line than in the pan? How much do you think? 10, 20 F?

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-31-2008, 07:55 AM

could always get two temp gauges and find out first you need to think about what you are saying here. To me it wouldmt make much sense that the fluid coming from the cooler would be hotter than what it was when it went into the cooler.. The fluid comes from the tc which is basically when the fluid is at its hottest point. Then it goes to the cooler to be cooled hense the name the trans fluid cooler. From there it goes back to the trans. then repeat cycle. I believe the sensor montior the temp that comes from the tc. sensor is designed to go off at 302F. depending how good your fluid is in your trans that could definately kill your tranny. If you ever get it to that point you should be changing you fluid if your trans still works.

Last edited by Dan.3; 08-31-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
could always get two temp gauges and find out first you need to think about what you are saying here. To me it wouldmt make much sense that the fluid coming from the cooler would be hotter than what it was when it went into the cooler.. The fluid comes from the tc which is basically when the fluid is at its hottest point. Then it goes to the cooler to be cooled hense the name the trans fluid cooler. From there it goes back to the trans. then repeat cycle. I believe the sensor montior the temp that comes from the tc. sensor is designed to go off at 302F. depending how good your fluid is in your trans that could definately kill your tranny. If you ever get it to that point you should be changing you fluid if your trans still works.
X2, splice into the cooler line (inlet to the cooler), no dropping the pan. no drilling the pan. What's in the pan should be some of the coolest ATF in the whole tranny.

You can make a sender manifold very cheaply with parts from the hardware store:

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM

first you need to think about what you are saying here. To me it wouldmt make much sense that the fluid coming from the cooler would be hotter than what it was when it went into the cooler..
No, I mean the fluid line coming out of the tranny, before it gets to the stock cooler and then my aftermarket cooler
first The fluid comes from the tc which is basically when the fluid is at its hottest point. Then it goes to the cooler to be cooled hense the name the trans fluid cooler. From there it goes back to the trans.
So, the fluid comes straight out of the transfer case to the cooler? And, does that fluid, coming from the cooler go to the tranny pan? Is the fluid in the tranny pan a mixture of hot and cold fluid? Why is it, that most tranny gauges have senders that install into the tranny pan?
first I believe the sensor montior the temp that comes from the tc. sensor is designed to go off at 302F. If you ever get it to that point you should be changing you fluid if your trans still works.
It did go off a couple months ago and the truck stalled and would not start. I got out and looked under the hood, thinking maybe I had hit something and leaked the fluide out, which was not the case. I came back home and changed the fluid, which looked fine. Oh, and thanks
Bill
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
X2, splice into the cooler line (inlet to the cooler), no dropping the pan. no drilling the pan. What's in the pan should be some of the coolest ATF in the whole tranny. You can make a sender manifold very cheaply with parts from the hardware store:
So does the line from the cooler go directly to the pan, is that why it is the coolest ATF? I would probably go with the autometer sending unit, since I am having someone else do it. I really need to understand how the auto tranny works better. Thanks
Bill

Last edited by Billinsd; 08-31-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Billinsd
So does the line from the cooler go directly to the pan, is that why it is the coolest ATF?
Right