Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tranny question for a 96

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny question for a 96

I just got my wifes new used runner a couple weeks ago. We love the new ride. We bought it knowing with this many miles it may have certain things that we are dealing with.

So far everything is A-O-K after a little tweak and peek it has no vibrations and drives and rides real nice.

I did a tranny fuild change this past weekend. The fuild was brownish red as best I could tell. The receipts from the previous owner showed it had been serviced fairly recent with in the last 30k. I pulled the pan and changed the filter. I noticed the pan was coated black and the filter was also. i cleaned it all put it back together and so far so good.

It does however hesitate going into 1st gear when you first drop it in gear it takes a second? Normal? And going into R it slams into gear a little. It does have a lockright in the rear so it could be that. I havn't messed with the shifting adjustment on it yet I was thinking that could be it?

I was a little concerned when I got it cause the tranny was leaking really bad but it has sence slowed to a wet slow drip then once I did the pan gasket I havn't seen it leak again.

Is it possible that it was overflowing out the air tube? It looked like it was coming from the front of the tranny but I couldn't find one spot it was coming out of?

Any idea's guys?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is good that you did pull the pan already and cleaned the filter.
I assume you filled it with regular old Dextron III tranny fluid again.
Also check the fluid level (should be hot, engine running, in park) do not overfill !!!
You might also consider having it flushed to get out all the old fluid (not just draining the pan).

If all checks out and it is still doing it then check back and let us know.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-05-2003 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:14 AM

I am having the same problem with my 97. Except the reverse shift is fine. I also dropped the pan but the filter was clean. I had the fluid flushed and the problem still persists. It doesn't seem electrical. See the answers to my post "3rd Generation Transmission Problem". I am actually seriously considering selling my ride before it becomes a real problem. -Bruce
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Take a look at the trans shifter...should look like this:

I was one of the first people that did a 2 incher. I adjusted the linkage like the picture above, however several people have done the lift since then and did not make the adjustment. Im thinking it slid over a bit since I did the lift...vibrations probably didnt help that cause

More info on your body lift: http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...er/index.shtml
Old 11-05-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
It is good that you did pull the pan already and cleaned the filter.
I assume you filled it with regular old Dextron III tranny fluid again.
Also check the fluid level (should be hot, engine running, in park) do not overfill !!!
You might also consider having it flushed to get out all the old fluid (not just draining the pan).

If all checks out and it is still doing it then check back and let us know.
yeh I just used regular fuild cheap stuff I wanted to make sure the leaking had stopped before I put amsoil in it. I'm still not sure it's done leaking. It came from a ver humid climate to a very dry hot climate AZ. Now it's in Cali and it's very cool here and wet. From what I understand it just started leaking in AZ. I need to get underneeth it with a scrub brush clean it up then see how it does.

Once I know it wont leak I'll flush it my self and put the good stuff in there.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by blootie
I am having the same problem with my 97. Except the reverse shift is fine. I also dropped the pan but the filter was clean. I had the fluid flushed and the problem still persists. It doesn't seem electrical. See the answers to my post "3rd Generation Transmission Problem". I am actually seriously considering selling my ride before it becomes a real problem. -Bruce
It could be something simple like a adjustment. I wouldn't sell it cause of that. Besides (dare I say it) a used tranny can be had for 500-1000 sometimes less.

Jason
Old 11-05-2003, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by PoBoy
Take a look at the trans shifter...should look like this:

I was one of the first people that did a 2 incher. I adjusted the linkage like the picture above, however several people have done the lift since then and did not make the adjustment. Im thinking it slid over a bit since I did the lift...vibrations probably didnt help that cause

More info on your body lift: http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...er/index.shtml
Thanks, I forgot about that but your right that might be it. I'll play with it a little.