Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trail Preparations and Afterwards Clean-up

Old 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail Preparations and Afterwards Clean-up

Hey guys,
I was just wondering what you all do before you hit the trails to prevent damage and mud damage etc... Also, how do you clean your vehicle when you get back?

I think I might be going too rough on my 4-runner (i blew a head gasket, is that too rough? ). So I need some info. to help me keep it in good condition. Also I would like to hear some of your driving techniques for reducing damage and mud corrosion.

Thanks,
MxPx_Reaver
Old 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A great way to help is to undercoat the ENTIRE underside of your truck with an asphalt-based/rubberized undercoating. If you want to do it yourself, it takes about 3 hours to do it well, but the result is awesome. If you don't have a compressor, you can get spray cans of the stuff for approx $2.50 each. Remove your spare tire, and if you really want to do it well, your gas tank. I coated mine, and I live on the beach in south Texas (LOTS OF SALT), and the underside of my 93 4x4 looks like new. You can spray right over the fuel lines, the entire back axle, the underside of the bed, the backsides of the bumpers, and in the wheelwells.

It looks amazing and lasts forever. Also deadens noise, too. Nice and quiet ride :-) Email me if you have questions.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:09 PM

Before I go: get my recovery gear, take out any trailor hitch balls, covers, etc. because i will proabably lose or hit them on something, air down, and if its gonna be wet and muddy, cap my deck plate. Other than that, just use common sense. Don't go fast... you dont need to. Don't just do donuts or spray mud for no reason. Watch deep crossings, wear your seatbelt, and eat your vegetables. Okay, you don't have to do the last two. definitely not the last one.

Afterwards I immediately go to a car wash and use the high pressure and spray out the steering components, suspension, and the inside of the tires as best I can. You will get a little wet and muddy but it has to be done. It's best not to leave mud on there for a while too for obvious reasons but at least get that done.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably didn't blow the headgasket due to anything you did. It's a problem with the 3vze engine.

Other than that I take water...and plenty of it. You're in Alabama so you can ignore that one.

I also take camping gear and food, because out here you don't know how many miles off help is going to be and how long you may have to stay. But again, you're in Alabama and you have to check the wind before you can spit.

Mud? Well, I had a bit of that last spring after my buddy dropped me off for a little hiking. He's a former NYC boy and hits the puddles hard and fast. It dried and fell off by summer. A couple of washboard roads may have helped.

Just keep in mind that the Border Patrol, who cruise dirt roads out here, have to replace their trucks about every 2 years due to the fatigue of the frame taking that abuse. Slow and easy is the way to take most of it.

Don't tear up the land, don't go on private property without permission and don't hurt the critters. Other than that, back out of the garage and go have some fun!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

magnified plaid, rock on

anyway, the best way to prevent damange is common sense and experience. you can read around the board and learn from other's mistakes. if an obstacle seems beyond your comfort level or runner's capability, skip it. you can always work your way up to it. taking chances can be fun, but also expensive. beyond that, it's all about the armor - skid plates, sliders and bumpers.
there's a recent thread on here about "what spare parts to carry". take a look at that.

about keeping clean, well this sport is inherently dirty of course. but you can always avoid the mud puddles. sometimes i will admit there are awfully tempting . but as long as your wash off mud/saltwater prompty and thoroughly you should be okay, plus it comes off easier the sooner you wash it.