Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trade in, do I dare it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade in, do I dare it???

Well, coming this November I'll be free and clear of my truck payments. But it makes me wonder... should I trade my beloved Jade in for a more capable (i.e. 4x4) version?

What do you guys think?

I have a few problems with less/more than stock items on board such as CB, power inverter, etc, etc, etc... so I'm not SERIOUSLY thinking about it yet but I have played with the idea ever since coming back from Pismo and Hungry Valley.

I'm not too keen on the idea of the newer Tacomas being like the 4th gens in their styling or the possibility of their catering to the freeway road warrior. What do you guys think? Anybody with some experience to tell me what to expect?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

You can always SAS your ride........
Old 01-21-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
pete,

i'd say depends on how bad you want a 4x4 *now* and the uncertainty that the new 04 tacos will be to your liking.

if it were me, i'd just hold onto it until the 04s come out. who knows, maybe it wont be such a pavement pounder. and if it is, you can always buy a good, used taco and build it up from there.

and fiscally speaking, nothing in life is better (eerr..ok, there are some things) is better than having no car payments. i wish i were in your shoes.

bob
Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BruceTS
You can always SAS your ride........
Oh man... if I had that kind of $$ I don't think I'd be even thinking, I'd be DOING

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
pete,

i'd say depends on how bad you want a 4x4 *now* and the uncertainty that the new 04 tacos will be to your liking.

if it were me, i'd just hold onto it until the 04s come out. who knows, maybe it wont be such a pavement pounder. and if it is, you can always buy a good, used taco and build it up from there.

and fiscally speaking, nothing in life is better (eerr..ok, there are some things) is better than having no car payments. i wish i were in your shoes.

bob
Again Bob, you are the voice of reason... yeah, it'll be nice not having car payments. The only reason I'm thinking about it is because I'm already at 50K miles on an '02 and I'm feeling the resale value slipping.
That and it'd allow me a chance to go back and correct a mistake I never should have made. I'd also like to take care of this before I get any serious mods in, so far nearly everything I've done is easily reversable except for the deckplate.

Like I said, something I've just been thinking of...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait til the new tacoma comes out then decide between new style and outgoing style
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 PM

What if you keep the prerunner use it for light duty trail use and daily driving? Start looking for an older "TOY" for offroading .Obviously (sp) money dictates your options but worth a thought. I bought an 86 runner for $2k, not the best deal around but, with patients good deals are out there. It would also give you the chance to really learn about the vehicle.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:18 PM

from your past posts I have seen you make, it is very clear that you want a 4x4 very badly. Now if you are looking for on to do desert type running, you would probably be well off trading your junk in for a Taco with 4WD. That way you can have a 4x4 and the power that comes with the newer engine which is good in the sand. Now if you are looking for more of an all purpose 4x4, i would save up and look around for some older junk that you could use as a dedicated trail rig. either way, make sure you are happy with the decision, that is the important thing. I think it is best to be driving something that that are content with. Your Taco is pretty damn new and if you are soon to be clear of payments, you obviously have the ability to throw down much bigger payments than the rest of us do, or your downpayment was enormous. Take advantage of that and get what you want...
Old 01-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, 4WD or no 4WD, I'm very happy with my truck
I was just thinking maybe to get exactly what I have right now but with the added traction.

I might just as well be happy once I get locked.

...either that or I should look into doing a 4x4 engine swap

Like I said, it's a passing thought - keep the opinions coming though, there's a few ideas that you guys are bringing up that I didn't think of.

44runner:
You're pretty perceptive
Old 01-22-2004, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

The route I'd go is wait til Marlin get's his new FWD transfer case on the market, then also get a dual case and SAS that puppy. The cost to SAS a 2WD truck isn't really any more than a 4WD, if you consider the initial price difference. Since your not gonna have payments soon, save that money to buy all the parts needed. There are a bunch of guys on the TTORA board that for a case of beer, will throw a SAS party and get the swap done in a weekend.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nothing like it

There is NOTHING like completely OWNING a vehicle and having NO car payment. Saving your money from the car payments and doing the SAS as previously suggested sounds like the way to go!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 AM

Do yourself a favor... go to your most trusted Toyota dealership and get a price quote on a new Taco 4wd... then get a trade-in value on your 2wd. When they say it's going to be a $26,000 difference, you know to hang onto yours for a while. If they say the difference is something considerably more reasonable, you may have just answered your own question.

Things not to do at the dealership: don't bring your checkbook or test drive it! You might make an irrational decision! Bring your wife if you're married. Women tend (broad generalization here) to make more rational decisions when it comes to cars than men.

andrew
Old 01-22-2004, 07:05 AM

Keep it

I say keep it, there is nothing like owning your truck free and clear. I have never had to make payments on a truck/car and love it. But if you really are into off-roading, take it in to a dealership to see what the difference in $$$ will be. Then make the decision to see if it is worth it to you.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

04's are out now and are the same as 2003 models. It will be 2005 for the next generation Tacoma.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

you could always add the 4x4 stuff to your truck for a reasonable cost.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:22 PM

I say sell and buy a 4x4 model while you've still got some resale value in your rig. Just my .02.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:36 PM

"resale value" in Webster's dictionary is called an "oxymoron"

a 2 sylabel word for stupid cow!

I sleep better at night with my 1996 2500 Ram 4x4, 1994 Lincoln TC and of course the 1993 $runner. All 3 add up to 270,000 miles
and $0.00 in monthly payments or leases.

Hey this is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:38 PM

270,000 miles
I had nearly that on only 1 yota that was all original.

Nonetheless, keeping the truck longer is not gonna give it the 4wd he wants
Old 01-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

6 more payments to go!!! I start giggling when I think of not having to write that car payment check anymore.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I've got 10 more to go
I was wondering what it would be like to keep these payments for longer with the added traction but the more I think about it the more the extra $$/mo. sounds better

I know absolutely nothing about SAS and am not sure if that's the way I'd want to go.
its2slo was kind enough to PM me a link to some NorCAl TTORA guys who did a 4by swap but I'd have to save for the donor engine and make good friends with someone with the right tools

Still, I'm open to suggestions if you fellas got'em
Old 01-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Peter,

I would wait for the new Tacoma to arrive. If you don't like it, then start searching for a new (old body style) Tacoma. Dealers will be selling those cheap to clear out the lot space for the new trucks.

My wife really wants a DC Tacoma, but I am going to wait for the reason I mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Trade in, do I dare it???