Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trade 99 4Runner for DoubleCab Taco?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade 99 4Runner for DoubleCab Taco?

I'm testing the waters for an even up trade ... my babied 99 4Runner (below) for a Double Cab 4WD Taco. Any comments or interested party let me know. Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM

The box on a d-cab taco is about as useless for hauling things as a 4runner would be.

I'd stick with the runner, but it depends on what you are going to use it for.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM

I had a double cab for several years before I got my 4runner. Like stated above the dbl cab bed is really small, I get almost just as much use out of the back of my 4runner as I did with my dbl cab. The only thing I miss about my truck is not having to worry at all about throwing dirty stuff in the back like cooler, wetsuits and that kind of thing. I love my 4runner and dont think I would go back to a truck as my primary vehicle. It's really just personal preferance though I guess.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 AM

I considered both before buying my 2000 4Runner. For some reason, in my area, the Tacomas hold their value much more than 4Runners. In other words, I think I got a better deal on a used 4Runner than I would have got on a Taco. If the same is true in your area, I think you'd have to trade down to an older year, or more miles.

FWIW, I would never get a double cab Taco, but an Xtra cab might be nice.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I love my double cab. Nothing against 4 runners, but I like having the ability to actually use it as a truck. It is true that there is less room in the bed, but I've hauled plywood, drywall, 8' studs, etc without a problem. In my opinion, it's kinda the best of both worlds. Sometimes I do wish I had a snugtop or something so that I could just lock all my camping and climbing gear up, but that's only periodically anyway.
I also have two small kids, and there's enough room for at least two car seats back there, plus a good amount of luggage on the floor behind the front seats.

Do you know anyone who's got one that you could borrow for a couple of days to try on for size? If so, maybe you could do that?

Anyway, I love my DC. I dig 4Runners, but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Taco for a long time.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would get the double cab, but, its just personal preference I think.

Like stated earlier, Tacoma's hold their value better than 4runners. (At least in California). So a straight up trade would be in your benefit.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, you will probably have to throw some cash towards it unless you get one thats not perfect with higher mileage. I love the DCs. I have been trying to talk the wife into trading in her H3 for an 04 DC.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I love my double cab. Nothing against 4 runners, but I like having the ability to actually use it as a truck. It is true that there is less room in the bed, but I've hauled plywood, drywall, 8' studs, etc without a problem. In my opinion, it's kinda the best of both worlds. Sometimes I do wish I had a snugtop or something so that I could just lock all my camping and climbing gear up, but that's only periodically anyway.
I also have two small kids, and there's enough room for at least two car seats back there, plus a good amount of luggage on the floor behind the front seats.

Do you know anyone who's got one that you could borrow for a couple of days to try on for size? If so, maybe you could do that?

Anyway, I love my DC. I dig 4Runners, but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Taco for a long time.

x2, well except the kids.

I drove a SUV before my Taco and was planning on getting a 4runner until I saw this truck. I have to say after driving my truck for the last 2 years it would be hard to go back to a SUV, but in the end it's all personaly pref.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM

I will also throw in my 2 cents. I have owned two 3rd Gen 4Runners and now a DC Tacoma. I like all three vehicles. I liked the 4Runners, because they were solid and you could lock all of your stuff in the cargo area. Also, in rain/snow, they kept your stuff nice and dry.

In my Tacoma, I have to make sure it's not going to rain if I don't want my gear to get wet. I had a shell, but it was more of a PITA for me, because I'd have to haul large items or my bikes, which would not work with the shell. But it's really nice to just throw all of the dirty stuff in the back. Also goes for anything that might tear up carpet/fabric (skis, bikes, etc.). It's also nice not having to smell your muddy/wet clothes on the way back home. Another pro is the cargo capacity. I don't care if it has a 5' bed. It will still outhaul the 4Runner by quite a bit--especially if the stuff you're carrying is big or tall. I've put a mattress/box spring, dresser and the frame that would have taken 2-3 trips with the 4Runner. And have you ever tried to fit a motorcycle into a 4Runner?

So for me, Tacoma is a better fit, and at the same time having the ability to seat 4. I have no regrets. If I had to get a 4Runner again, I'd definitely get a trailer. I'm not dogging the 4Runner, because they are excellent vehicles. Just not the best fit for me.

So to answer the OP's question, I would do it. BUT make sure that it had the same care that your 4Runner got in terms of maintenance. You could even swap most of your mods over, if you wanted to.

Last edited by cackalak han; 11-12-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 AM

A truck for most is more practical....if i had the extra money to afford a taco when I bought my 4Runner I totally would of. Now if I want to haul fuel/propane into the lake it has to be hauled in on a trailer...which I really don't have the space to store it. Its all about personal preference but a truck does come into play for more useful towing/hauling all rolled into one package. Another thing to consider is mileage...my friends 99' Tacoma TRD get's 25mpg calculating it with ScanGuage 2. The 4Runner has a lot of heavy useless glass that makes for a heavy load. When we go play in the snow...my truck just sinks like a stone while he pass's me in the same snow in his taco with ease. Next time around will definitly be a Tacoma for its all-purpose features.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 PM

You are going from a vehicle assembled in Japan to a vehicle built in the states. Besides the engine and tranny, a fair amount of the components are US built.

The double cab will feel like it has more power as the intake is straight, the truck is lighter weight and you may have lower gearing.

I drove my buddy's double cab. It was squirly-but more powerful. It felt cheaper -sort of like cross between a Ford and Toyota.

These are all my opinions - so please don't anyone get hurt. I love the double cabs and would own one before a GM or Ford-but it is no Japanese built 4runner.

The price of a 4runner back in the day I believe topped $35,000. Check the new price of a double cab.

On occasion I wish I had a truck. When that happens, I spend $25 at Uhaul for a trailer.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Actually, the curb weight between the two differ only by ~200lbs, if that. So you shouldn't really be able to "feel" it. And my DC has the 4.10 gearing, so it's the same, if not higher than my previous 4Runners.

But I know what you're talking about the fit & finish. I do feel that the 4Runners are better put together. But I will say that the only "issue" I have with the Tacoma is a rattle in the dash on occasion. Other than that, it's a solid truck with over 116k miles.

And what do you mean a "straight" intake? My observations seem to recollect they both have the exact same intake design. Actually, everything under the hood looks exactly the same.

Price wise, yeah, the 4Runner Limited was at $35k+ MSRP. Tacoma DC was amazingly at $21k. Considering this, the resale value of the Tacoma is just amazing. I think it's mainly due to more demand for trucks with small businesses.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM

The one that I drove didn't have the giant box thing sitting on left head. Everyone does the ISR mod on the 4runner-it has already been done on this particular year of double cab.

I think you are right on the weight. But that double cab felt a lot lighter.

On a positive note, the double cab felt a lot more planted and felt like it sat a bit lower.

The bottom line, they are two very different vehicles. One is a comfy grocery getter that morphs into a wheeling machine at night.

The double cab is a pickup truck-plain and simple.

4runner weight. Curb Weight: 3,975 lbs

Double cab weight: Curb Weight: 3705 lbs
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Tacoma:

4Runner:

Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Looks the same to me...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Well thank to everyone for their input! I know a lot of it comes down to preference. If I cant find an even up trade I'll just keep my 4Runner for another 5 years or so and then get a used, newer generation DC Taco Sport. I would have to get the snug top to be able to lock things up, and the swing out tailgate bed extender for the times I need to haul larger items than the small bed allows (the longbed DC unfortunately wont fit in the garage with a motorcycle parked in front of it). Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:09 PM

It will be very hard to try and find someone with a DC Taco that's willing to do an even trade. But I guess you never know.