Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tracking down source of PO171 CEL and cold start throttle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking down source of PO171 CEL and cold start throttle issue

I have been searching off and on for a few weeks on here trying to locate the answers...so to confirm I did use the search feature

I have been driving around with the PO171 code for awhile now since it never effected my trucks operation that I could tell. This has been off and on for about a 1-2yrs.

Thankfully the light was off when I would come up on my emissions tests and was able to pass without any shadiness.

Now I am trying to just deal with it and make it go away.

I need to ask a few things:

1) what is the usual path to take when isolating the cause i.e MAF, AFS (bank 1 sensor), vacuum leaks, fuel filters, etc.

2) MAF sensor cleaning - found several threads on guys taking them off the wrong way and breaking them and needing to solder them. Not many writeups or accounts about how to properly pop it loose to clean it.
a) I was going to start first by trying to clean it but I was glad I searched b/c I didn't want to go off half cocked and break the thing.
b) Local pull apart has price on used one for $75 but I wanted to try and clean it 1st before buying anything.

3) If it is not the MAF throwing the CEL then is the next step the Air Flow Sensor upstream of the pre-cat?

4) If I do need to get parts, naturally it would be nice to just buy brand new but if pulling parts can anyone supply a link or guidance on which other toyota models used the same MAF or AFS in case I am able to locate.
a) I did read someone saying emphatically to use the correct part for year/model or 'you'll be sorry' true or false?
b) If it is true then is there a safe zone? Meaning will 99-02 work or just 99. Will a 98 work or just look for 99-02. Etc.

Thank y'all in advance. This is driving me crazy.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention:

Just at the beginning of Fall my truck at startup usually in the morning or after it has been sitting for awhile with crank right up.

However when you throw it into drive it hesitates and will not move forward like normal. Like it is being choked off. If I let it warm up at idle then I can take off as normal.

I am hoping this is related to the po171 and not something else?

Fuel Filter?

Would that Charcoal Canister cause this? Had a issue with my taco once with the CC but honestly it was so long ago I forgot the exact symptoms. I do however remember it being a expensive fix at the toyota dealership.