Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TPS adjustment

Old 10-20-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS adjustment

i have been having problems with my idle sticking and varying sometimes. so i thought it might be my throttle positioning sensor. so i did the test posted on http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml everything seems to work out fine except for at open throttle between VTA-E2 my readings only go up to about 4.0 Kohms then the ohm meter goes to OL. and the site says it should be between 3.3K-10K. i readjusted the TPS going by what they said and everything else seems good but no the throttle still sticks worse and the idle still varies worse. am i doing something wrong or is my TPS just bad. i didn't want to crack it open yet to check unless i was sure it might be bad.

88 toyota pickup 22re
Old 10-20-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsrusse11
i have been having problems with my idle sticking and varying sometimes. so i thought it might be my throttle positioning sensor. so i did the test posted on http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml everything seems to work out fine except for at open throttle between VTA-E2 my readings only go up to about 4.0 Kohms then the ohm meter goes to OL. and the site says it should be between 3.3K-10K. i readjusted the TPS going by what they said and everything else seems good but no the throttle still sticks worse and the idle still varies worse. am i doing something wrong or is my TPS just bad. i didn't want to crack it open yet to check unless i was sure it might be bad.

88 toyota pickup 22re
Greetings,
Another way to check if your TPS is bad is to connect your check connector - "TE" & "E1" while the engine is running, if the idle doesn't decrease then your TPS is shot. If your throttle is sticking try cleaning out your Throttle body, it works wonders, the T-body gets so gunked up in there. Since you are getting 4K at WOT then it is in spec, as far as an overload you might need a new meter. If it still sticks you might need an adjustment at the throttle plate itself, you might need to back the screw off at the plate by the dashpot (if you have one) and re-adjust your TPS. I'd try cleaning that T-body real good first!

Last edited by nunsa; 10-20-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by jsrusse11
am i doing something wrong or is my TPS just bad. i didn't want to crack it open yet to check unless i was sure it might be bad.

88 toyota pickup 22re
There nothing to be concerned about when taking it off,except the fact that it will need to be reset correctly when it goes back on.
also make sure you bolt it back on carefully.A previous owner of mine somehow put the bottom screw in sideways & bent it(the screw) & it was a real pain to get off as the head was striped .

Are you sure its the TPS?
have you lubed up the cable etc.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Along with lubing the cable take a look at the spring loaded throttle catch. It is the part that catches the throttle so it does not crash, holds it and brings it down slowly. The rubber boot that was on mine was bad and was not letting the sping fully compress. Cleaning and lubing everything that has to do with the idle an throttle area is a good idea. I took out my throttle set screw when I cleaned the TB and made sure that passage was not junked up.

As far as the meter, did you try a different sensitivity setting if it has multiple ranges? You might have it set to low and need to go to the next range.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 AM

i have cleaned out my TB a couple of times and lubed up everything i can. i rubber boot on the throttle return spring it torn up but it seems to work fine. i can't get it to stick at all. what it the connection TE you were talking about connecting to. could my meter just be set wrong. the chart says it's in Kohms so i set it to that i thought. and every other settings didn't seem to work any better. i'm going to try to find a new stiffer srping for the throttle today. mabye this will pull it through whatever is making it stick. until i can rip it all apart.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by nunsa
Greetings,
Another way to check if your TPS is bad is to connect your check connector - "TE" & "E1" while the engine is running, if the idle doesn't decrease then your TPS is shot. If your throttle is sticking try cleaning out your Throttle body, it works wonders, the T-body gets so gunked up in there. Since you are getting 4K at WOT then it is in spec, as far as an overload you might need a new meter. If it still sticks you might need an adjustment at the throttle plate itself, you might need to back the screw off at the plate by the dashpot (if you have one) and re-adjust your TPS. I'd try cleaning that T-body real good first!
That verifies that the Idle contact in the TPS is adjusted properly. But for the WOT reading, that may be a sign of a dirty or burned resistance strip inside the TPS. Are you sure you are on a meter range that can handle at least 10,000 (10K) ohms? The actual reading of the TPS at WOT is not terribly important and unless you feel some difference in engine behaviour at that point or you are getting a check engine light, probably not something to worry about. The Idle setting is most important.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 PM

I'm having the same problem the check light comes on under lite throtle how do I correct this problem
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Read what code is tripping the light .

Trouble shoot for that DTC