Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toytec OME3-RUN lift on 2002 4Runner Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toytec OME3-RUN lift on 2002 4Runner Sport

Last Week I was able to complete the install of a Toytec lift on my 2002 4Runner Sport. I used their OME 3" coil kit, part #OME3-RUN, found on this page http://www.toyteclifts.com/96024runn...runnerliftkits.
I also added the diff drop kit, #TAC-DR. I also ordered a set ot Tokiko Trekmaster R/T green shocks from another vendor locally. Everything came in 1 box, with instructions that were easy to follow. I installed the kit without the top spacer, since I wanted the rear to remain slightly higher than the front when unloaded, and level when loaded. So far, I am very impressed with the kit. The installation was straightforward, and took me only about 4 1/2 hrs total. If you have never used a coil spring compressor, I would highly recommend that you take the struts to a shop for assembly. If you install the cold yourself, be sure that your compressor is small enought to get out of the OME coils once assembled. That was the only issue that I had, and I had to borrow another compressor for the final assembly. The ride and drive is much improved. Yes, it is stiffer, but it corners much better, and is no longer mushy. I have put approximately 250 on it in the last week on interstates and local roads and love it. I did use my stock wheels witht he 285/75/16 BFG AT tires and I only have very slight rubbing on the pinch weld plastic cover at full stuff turning. I have no frame or control arm rubbing. I do not think the stock wheels would work with MT tires. Check out the pics and let me know what you think after reading this long-winded post. I'm going to post others soon nose to nose with my CJ-7 on 35's for comparison.

Here are some links to the pics, since I have not learned how to insert them right yet.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/passside.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q.../drivesusp.jpg

Scott
Old 12-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

cujeeprs' pics...

I hade the same problem with the spring compressors, it took me 4 to compress the tundra coils all the way and get the first two unstuck, I also recommend taking everything to a shop and getting the struts/coils put together.

Looks good! :bigclap:
Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the help. I have a few more pics. These are just driveway pics, so they are not very exciting. I parked the 4Runner in front of my '83 CJ-7 for size comparison. The CJ-7 has 35" Xterrains with about 4 1/2" of lift. I have also included a better shot of the 4Runner control arm clearance. I think have the pictures figured out now too.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:24 AM

The lift looks great, two very nice looking rigs you have there! Any future mods planned for the 4runner?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
very nice.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

The 4Runner is my wife's daily driver, and she is planning to get some nerf bars for it in the next couple of months. Other than that, I doubt it will have much more done to it. We already have a Surco roof rack that is used when we take trips, but it is left in the shop most of the time due to the drag and decreased gas mileage.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:38 AM

cujeeprs: What do you think of the window vent shades on the 4runner? They look like the 3m adhesive style, so how have they held up and what brand are they? I'm pretty tired of getting soaked every time I hit the brakes while its raining with the windows cracked, so I'm thinking about investing in a set of vent shades. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

That lift looks great how does it flex? Could you get a flexing pic or 2?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! Glad to see someone on here from "hogwaller" We'll have to meet and make a run to Bad Creek Projects sometimes.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

yeah sweet money, another lifted runner within 20 miles or so of me.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all of the complements. I will try to get some flex pics in the next few days as time allows. Reading the threads here and seeing all of the great 4Runners is what made me decide to lift ours, and I am glad I did it.

Tarheelrunner: The Ventshades work great for us. They go on with the adhesive tape and we have had no problems at all. This is our 2nd set on a
4Runner. The first set is still on the 1997 that we sold 4 years ago. We put this set on in 2002, and they still look good and keep the water out.

Ironmike4x4: Good too see some local folks here. I hope to be headed that way next Wed. morning to visit the flea mkt. and look for some bargains. I haven't been to Badcreek yet, but I have been to Sky Ranch a few years back in the Jeep.

neliconcept: We usually make it to Anderson about once a month, maybe we'll see you there on day
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

I work at circuitcity so my truck is usually there or at Anderson University. soon to get out of that worthless college though
Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM

subscribing...
Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 AM
AK

I was thinking about getting the SS lift #7, but now i may go with this one. i really like how your 4runner turned out.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I was also looking at the SS#7 lift, but for my purposes, this one works great, at a lower cost. The only negative side effect so far has been a slight vibration at about 55-64 mph. Also, tire choice is imprtant with stock wheels. Mine get VERY close to the upper arm, but they never touch. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and Ill do my best to help.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 PM

i have a 97 SR5 and i was thinking bout doing this lift as well
How bad are the vibrations?
Also what are the effects on gas milege and performance of the car? Is there a significant decrease in power when running the 285/75/16s with this lift?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

The vibrations are not bad, and they may have been there before the lift and I didn't notice them since the old tires were worn so badly. I hope to check the ujoints this weekend to see if that is the problem. I didn't notice much power loss, but I have noticed a difference in braking distance. I just have to be a little more careful and begin braking sooner now. I have not checked the mileage yet, but I really don't think it has changed that much. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cujeeprs
The vibrations are not bad, and they may have been there before the lift and I didn't notice them since the old tires were worn so badly. I hope to check the ujoints this weekend to see if that is the problem. I didn't notice much power loss, but I have noticed a difference in braking distance. I just have to be a little more careful and begin braking sooner now. I have not checked the mileage yet, but I really don't think it has changed that much. Let me know if you have more questions.
Take your truck in for an alignment, I bet the toe (or perhaps camber or caster) on the truck is out of spec after the lift and causing your tires to vibrate at highway speed. Mine did the same thing, I took it in and now it is smooth as ever at any speed.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-02-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM

hey thanks,
Do you recommend replacing your shocks with aftermarket ones like the Tokikos or is it not necessary? And did you replace all your shocks with tokikos on both front and rear?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Take your truck in for an alignment, I bet the toe (or perhaps camber or caster) on the truck is out of spec after the lift and causing your tires to vibrate at highway speed. Mine did the same thing, I took it in and now it is smooth as ever at any speed.
I took it in right after the lift and told them to be sure to check/fix the caster and camber, and the vibration doesn't seem as bad, but it is still there. They said they checked everything, and put it back into spec, but then he could have just been telling me what I wanted to hear too. The tires sit vertical now instead of leaning like they did before the alignment, so I can tell that something was done.

Quick Reply: Toytec OME3-RUN lift on 2002 4Runner Sport