Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota UN trucks and parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota UN trucks and parts

Cool UN-type supplier. All toyota stuff for worldwide use by governments, etc. I want this jerry can holder! Cool!

The Prado looks pretty good without the big flares that come on the GX

I found this link from someone on edmunds. Cool site, wish we could buy some stuff
Link to website-click
Old 11-03-2003, 01:31 PM

Looks like it's 3rd world country kid with a siphon tube proof
Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i want one of these so bad. why oh why doesn't toyota import them here?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:17 PM

Got a link for this wonderful Yota land you speak of?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that jerrycan holder looked familiar...
At a recent 4x4 show there was this local company who imports FrontRunner products, a South African company dealing in roof racks etc.
In fact, if you look closely at that picture above, you can see their logo.

More info here:
http://www.frontrunner.co.za
Old 11-03-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by kyle_22r

There are some of those up here in Canada. And they're diesels. Most of them are working around mines.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Don't tell Corey about their shower kit!

And how about that stainless steel table? They must be making things for some serious users.

Those gas can holders look nice. Too bad I have the small 2.5gal ones.

Just noticed an interesting interior storage system in their photo gallery. Looks like a pull-out platform of some sort with some plastic containers. Don't see that mentioned anywhere, but probably pretty pricey.

Last edited by alanh; 11-03-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM

hmm...might have to get a job and make a trip to canada
Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 PM

I just got done looking at the Toyota megacruiser--wish I had a spare $85k. Toyota of Ecuador has some sweet cars--they still have the FJ80 in a diesel with a stick.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 PM

Hey can we order stuff from that Frontrunner company?? Do they sell in the USA?

More pics of that LC at Pismo last year for Kyle to salivate over

Old 11-04-2003, 04:57 AM

alanh: don't you guys have 4x4 showers?

ugh, there must be at least 3 or 4 companies manufacturing shower systems here, and those are just the high quality ones
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't meet USA EPA & DOT requirements for crash protection. If you were t-boned in an accident by an Escalade doing 65mph they would pick whats left of you out of the grill with a pair of tweezers.

Too bad though, they are really cool vehicles!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:34 AM

Is that I6 in there?

Old 11-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Sac State
It doesn't meet USA EPA & DOT requirements for crash protection. If you were t-boned in an accident by an Escalade doing 65mph they would pick whats left of you out of the grill with a pair of tweezers.

Too bad though, they are really cool vehicles!
i could really care less about that. if that happened in my '79, it'd probably have the same effect anyway. as well as any other vehicle i've owned

i remember reading on a toyota mailing list that gibraltar toyota can ship anywhere but the US or Canada :pat: but you can have them ship to mexico, and import it over the border; sort of a gray market area, and that you can import one vehicle a year or something like that
Old 11-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Hilux_1990,

Yeah, showers are available although I don't know if any are made here. Maybe they're Austrailian imports! I was just trying to make a little joke since Corey has written on and off about getting a shower for his vehicle but not done so yeat as far as I know. I don't know that many people have them. I think most people either just do short trips on weekends or buy a travel trailer or motorhome for longer camping trips or pop into a motel for the night. There just aren't many places where you're away from civilization or out on roads too rough for a motorhome long enough. (Now, there were times in the past on hiking trips where I could really have used and would have enjoyed a nice hot shower.)

There do seem to be things that are available in Australia that are hard to find here. Try finding someone in the US who sells something like the Milford cargo barriers. (Unless you drive a Volvo - I think they sell them.) I did a lot of web searching and found lots of people selling flimsy looking dog barriers (that probably wouldn't keep the dog back there in a crash either). There were companies making barriers for police cars and things for utility vans, but I never did find anyone making or selling a production unit for an SUV. Despite all the safety standards and lawsuits over defective products causing death and injury, things like that don't seem to be a concern. Do you worry about it more and install them voluntarily or is there a law or something that requires them?

kyle_22r,

I'd be surprised if you could import a vehicle even as a one-time deal that didn't comply with the safety standards. That would open things up to all kinds of attempts to get around them. (I can see someone paying people to import cars for "personal" use so they could turn around and sell them.) I know you can't bring something in that doesn't meet the pollution standards without upgrading it some way which effectively makes that a rich-mans game because of the cost of making the mods and showing it meets the standards.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:20 AM
CTB

Just curious - what is this model called?

You're right kyle_22r....that would be so awesome!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:39 PM

I guess I find it strange that you couldn't just disappear from civilization if you wanted too... you guys sure have some wide open spaces though.

Regarding the effectiveness of a cargo barrier, I think it's mainly just understood that you need to secure your load.
Those with 4WD wagons will hear about cargo barriers and install them to keep their load in place, while tradesmen-types will install a strong load barrier behind the ute cab for a similar reason.

Eventually I'd like to install a barrier or sorts inside my canopy to stop it spilling it guts during a collison or hard braking.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:57 PM

That LC pictured was taken at Pismo last year. The guy brought it here to use. They briefly mentioned that it was difficult for him to keep it here due to the DMV.

It is legal to bring a car here for personal use- called "grey market" cars I think... anyway, Nissan, Toyota and Honda all have foriegn cars that don't pass crash or emission tests here in the USA.
There are people that drive around with foreign cars all over. I saw a SWATCH car here in California. Tiny, euro car completely not within US codes nor ever tested as such.

I think the common factor is that the owners are foriegn citizens and the cars are here temporarily. Just like if you took your car over to europe for a year or something. Just a guess.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CTB
Just curious - what is this model called?

You're right kyle_22r....that would be so awesome!
They call it the LC 70 series
I have driven one up in kyrgyzstan that look just like this and it had on the side and on the dash LC 84 series.. the one I drove was not diesel... it was a gas I-6 but looked just like this and it also had the spare tire on the hood..sort of cool. Also they had some with the same front end as this and what looked like an old FJ40/45/55 type rear end...sort of cool. They also had russian copies but for the life of me I can not remember the company who made them, I'll have to go back through my pictures.

Last edited by Herkengineer; 03-27-2004 at 05:09 PM.