Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Trans Fluid or Mobil1 Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Trans Fluid or Mobil1 Synthetic

In the owners manual it says to use Toyota Trans Fluid, has anyone used Mobil1 or Toyota Trans Fluid, it also says to use Toyota Coolant, has anyone used other brands being non Toyota.

Just want to know what others are using or current 4th Geners what you plan to use if and when you change the fluids.

Does it also say the same for the 3rd Gens and my 03 ES300 says Toyota Fluid or equivolent (sp)
Old 08-23-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ATF and Coolant

I owned a '98 4Runner and replaced the ATF with Mobil 1 early on. The Toyota specification for the ATF was simply "Dexron II". which Mobil 1 ATF met. The stuff worked fine.

However, the Toyota spec for my '03 clearly says "Use only Toyota ATF", so that's what I'll do, in spite of being a major fan of Mobil 1 products. The reason: there's no indication that Mobil 1 ATF is suitable for our '03, and if I were to change, It would appear to void the warranty. Same thing for the antifreeze.

Toyota may be playing games with these specifications to increase sales of their products, but there's no certainty that going with some other brand would provide any benefit or save money, so I'll not try to out-engineer Toyota.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

EDGE- I think I read somewhere here something specific about the Toyota pink coolant that makes these engines run at just the right temp.

On a related note, I was in a shop yesterday and saw Redline "Wetter Water" (I think) and it was an additive to the coolant that claimed about 20 degrees cooler running temp. Anyone ever heard of this stuff or used it?

Here's one link https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...toyota+coolant and I think I just answered my own question as well.

96-Runner- What ratio of the redline water wetter vs water vs coolant do you use? Does it really cool the engine as much as claimed? It's hot as hell here as well.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:16 AM

Toyota red coolant is low silicate - but I've heard it is completely interchangeable with the normal green stuff. It will turn a nasty brown if you top off with green though. Whatever you do don't use the orange Dex-cool stuff since that will increase wear on your water pump.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I couldn't find Redline's Water-Wetter here locally, but I did find a CRC product that sounded similar and used it. It appeared to make a difference...but this is El Paso, TX. Temps above 95F are pretty normal in the summer. I question whether you would need any additive in Japan.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

The new performance products catalog had
Red line water wetter in it.

Last edited by Poul D'eau; 08-24-2003 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:57 AM

The Toyota genuine fluid is known as T-IV or ("Tee four") for you practical types !

It is a slighter 'harder' fluid than some of the others out there and harder than 95% of the Dex III fluids.

By harder, I mean less friction modification and in the real world, it means shorter shifts. As a gross generalization, shorter shifts invlove quicker lockup, less 'slipping' , less heat and longer life.

Longer shifts are smoother , involve more slipping with slower lockup and more heat into the fluid.

These differences in real terms are probably not evident to the average driver.

When I SC'd my 99, I switched to a full synthetic Dex IIIG fluid, and immediately noticed the slower shift, especially under hard acceleration in 1-2 shift.

I have access to the power flush machine so I switched back to a "Tee Four" fluid and the shifts quickened up. The fluid I used was a full synthetic fluid out of Japan that I got through my work.

Using the often heard "Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions" analogy, especially with my modified 4Runner, I chose the fluid which puts less heat into the fluid.

Anyway, in short, this is one occasion where I would 100% recommend the factory fluid, unlike some cases where it is just marketing and money, this fluid is different . It has some subtle viscosity changes also involving shear stability also but I will not get into that.

Hope this makes sense.....

David

P.S> I just finished helping one of my customers develop an ATF for higher mileage vehicles...it will be in a yellow bottle..hint, hint !

Last edited by nrgetic99; 08-24-2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:11 PM

So as I figured I'll just use the Toyota Fluid and nrgetic99 you especially cleared up any doubt I had but one question is it safe to use the Toy Trans Fluid in say other vehicles where owners complain the trans shifts to slow between 1st and 2nd
Old 08-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by gwhayduke
I couldn't find Redline's Water-Wetter here locally, but I did find a CRC product that sounded similar and used it. It appeared to make a difference...but this is El Paso, TX. Temps above 95F are pretty normal in the summer. I question whether you would need any additive in Japan.
gwhayduke,

As of 0830 it's 86F with 74% humidity. Low to mid 90's with a real feel of over 100 daily. Current Naha, Okinawa Weather
Old 08-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

I couldn't find Redline's Water-Wetter here locally, but I did find a CRC product that sounded similar and used it. It appeared to make a difference...but this is El Paso, TX.
FYI - Pep Boys here in Cruces has it along with the Fuel Injector Cleaner. I'm running it in my rig.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

I would consider mid-90's optional. As for the humidity, it doesn't affect the cooling of your vehicle appreciably, since you're not cooling your engine through evaporation...only through transfer. Now you could look at the ability of air to transfer heat at that humidity and the ability of the fluid to transfer the heat from the block....

Aww just put the Water-Wetter in..
Old 08-25-2003, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

I would consider mid-90's optional. As for the humidity, it doesn't affect the cooling of your vehicle appreciably, since you're not cooling your engine through evaporation...only through transfer. Now you could look at the ability of air to transfer heat at that humidity and the ability of the fluid to transfer the heat from the block....

Aww just put the Water-Wetter in..
gwhayduke,

Thanks for the information. I really apreciate your input.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:13 AM

I used Mobil 1. Had my fluid changed by the dealer, the used the Toyota stuff. Went on a trip two days later and the ATF light came on and I had fluid all over the back of the truck. Brought it back to Toyota and they told me the fluid overheated and that they had seen this before. They changed it to Mobil becauseit is the only thing that wouldn't overheat. This was my old 4Runner a '94.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:10 AM

Here is what I remember from a web site that was comparing coolant. I think this was from a Popular Mechanics, but can't find it now. Always use red Toyota coolant. Many said its the best and even use it in other brand cars. Green is very bad for Toyotas as its silicated and will ruin a Toyotas water pump etc very quickly. The orange Dexcool is very close to the red coolant as its not silcated. The article said it could be put in Toyotas as long as the red is flushed out completely first. The two fluids don't mix well I quess. I remember hearing that some Tacomas were coming from the factory with the orange Dexcool. Don't know if that is true though. I will keep seaching for the coolant web site.