Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

"toyota" removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"toyota" removal

the uv's at a mile in altitude have done their damage. my tailgate is faded, the yota letters are chipping. any thoughts on how to safely remove the rest of the letters? i've looked at bob's site on raised plastic lettering removal, but not sure if it will work on the flat white i've got.
also, what do you guys suggest about the best rubbing compound brand to use to bring back the color? i've got the deep red 94 4x4 p/u. it's been constantly waxed with eagle one wet look paste.
many thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Polish

Originally Posted by javadoody
the uv's at a mile in altitude have done their damage. my tailgate is faded, the yota letters are chipping. any thoughts on how to safely remove the rest of the letters? i've looked at bob's site on raised plastic lettering removal, but not sure if it will work on the flat white i've got.
also, what do you guys suggest about the best rubbing compound brand to use to bring back the color? i've got the deep red 94 4x4 p/u. it's been constantly waxed with eagle one wet look paste.
many thanks.
I'd recommend Griot's polish. It does wonders on bringing back dull paint and removing swirls, scratches etc.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
java,

do you have a pic of the emblem? it would be great if you could attach or post it so we know what you're talking about. quite possibly, you can resurrect your emblem from the dead with a little paint and reattach it.

also, rubbing compound is a no-no.

however, my first question though, is do you have a clear coat on your paint? if so, rubbing compound is NOT the best way to remove the dullness. rubbing compound is good for "leveling" the clear coat as in the case of a deep scratch. however, it it is like using 100 grit sandpaper vs. a 800 grit wet sandpaper. it takes off alot of the clear coat!

it is much safer to use a machine like the famous corey (porter) cable buffer with a good machine polish like griots (did i just say that??!?!). however, its advisable to start with the mildest of polishes and if that doesn't work, try a more abrasive polish until you get a nice shine. then top it off w/ a good carnuba wax.

i myself am a fan of www.zainobros.com. its all done by hand and i cannot recommend it enough.

two things: go to www.autopia.com and they have excellent detailing advice over there. or just wait until corey gets a hold of this thread and he'll "take you to school" on the griots/corey cable.

wait brian, you didn't give our friend here a link to the griot's detailing bible?!?!

bob
Old 04-10-2004, 07:31 PM

For your emblems it sounds like you just have stickers. If thats the case, using a heat gun you can peel them off. I just held the gun a few inches away and wore some welding gloves, heated sections at a time and rolled it down. Very easy to do. Just remember, the paint under the decals will be brand new, so if the rest of your paint is faded, there will be an outline there.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:42 AM

yes, they are just stickers, just the "toyota" across the back tailgate. i'll give the heat a try once the newly acquired winter scene melts.

thanks, i want to follow up on the links and check to see if there is a clear coat. bought this used a few years ago so i'm not sure.