Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing a vehicle with A/T - a No No??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing a vehicle with A/T - a No No??

Is it true that a vehicle with an automatic transmission cannot be towed? Otherwise the auto tranny's gonna be destroyed? How about if tranny is placed in neutral?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of it causing problems with lubing of the internal parts of the trans. Simply disconnect the driveshaft, tie it up and out of the way. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fenderrookie; 11-14-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Is it true that a vehicle with an automatic transmission cannot be towed? Otherwise the auto tranny's gonna be destroyed? How about if tranny is placed in neutral?

Thanks.

That's not true at all. There are several options that will allow it to be towed.

1) If it's RWD, or 4WD in 2WD mode, you can disconnect the rear driveshaft in about 10 minutes, and you can tow that baby as far as you want. The tranny and engine are disconnected from the wheels. (easy)

2) Do it the way the manual says to do it (most owner's manuals tell you how to tow it), and stop every 200-300 miles to check on things. My automatics have all been towable. (easy, but a pain)

3) If it's RWD, or 4WD in 2WD mode, make the rear axle a full floater. (hard, but really easy to get ready to tow) (A full floater rear axle would have hubs on the ends so you could disconnect the "hubs" just like some front axles on 4wd's.

If it's a little sedan, don't worry about it... do option 2. If it's 4wd, or RWD, just do option 1 if you're towing very far. If it's <100 miles, just do it option 2. If it's a trail rig, or you're good with customizing equipment, you can do option 3.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Could you just leave it in neutral while towing it? I've heard of people doing that but I wasnt sure if that was a safe thing or not.

Fink
Old 11-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Nope, it isn't good to just put it in neutral. Auto trannies are lubricated by the tranny's pump. This pump is powered by the input shaft of the tranny and thus the engine. If you just put the tranny in neutral, the engine won't be turning so the pump won't be turning... no lubrication of transmission internals. Problems arise because all the rearmost internals are being turned by the driveshaft without lubrication.

Now, for short distances (a few blocks or so), you could put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in park. Problem here is that in order to put a Toyota transfer into neutral, you first have to put it in 4WD. This results in the entire driveline rotating. If you have manual hubs, make sure they are unlocked. If you have ADD, you may be OK since the engine isn't running (someone more familiar with ADD should chime in, is there a vacuum reservoir in the system?). If you have auto hubs, you cannot do this since the hubs will lock and could cause the driveline to bind. This only applies to trucks with auto trannies and separate transfer cases because they have an output shaft driven oil pump. Transfer cases that are integral to the auto tranny should not be done this way for the reasons listed up top.

Sound confusing? Just remove the rear driveshaft and be done with it.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:44 AM

So what about mannys? I never knew it was bad to tow an auto, but I haven't done it either.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:03 AM

You need synthetic AT fluid to tow it.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
You need synthetic AT fluid to tow it.
I mean no disrespect, but I'm wondering what your reasoning is... Synth or not, a slush box doesn't get lubricated right when being towed in neutral. I can see synthetic ATF helping a little bit, but you're still running it "dry." I'm a believer in synthetic oils, but they're not magic, and have nearly all of the same limitations as dino oil.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 PM

as for AWD.... always flatbed or else you're gona need a new center diff
Old 11-14-2004, 02:08 PM

There is no reasoning, it is a joke, I'm sure someone got it.

Back to the question ... it does not take much research to get the answer as it is plainly described in the manual. In bold and inside a yellow notice box at that.

NOTICE: Never tow a vehicles with an automatic transmission from the front with the rear wheels on the ground, as this may cause serious damage to the transmission."
Old 11-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Now I know...
Old 11-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94yotarunner
So what about mannys? I never knew it was bad to tow an auto, but I haven't done it either.
its bad to tow a manual because there will not be any lubrication to the main shaft and pocket bearing, when the engine is running the counter shaft throws oil up on the main shaft to lube it
Old 11-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't realize its so bad to tow your vehicle. So those people with the huge motorhomes pulling suv's with a tow bar (all 4 wheels on the ground) are killing their tranny's.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
I didn't realize its so bad to tow your vehicle. So those people with the huge motorhomes pulling suv's with a tow bar (all 4 wheels on the ground) are killing their tranny's.
Not necessarily. I have a bud w/ a 96 4Runner w/ e-locker and he just had a custom made rear d-shaft/other stuff put in that allows him to pull the runner behind his motor home on all 4 wheels and he leaves the runner in PARK!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Aha, now you're in my field! (RV industry)

Nope, they either buy cars that can be towed (most Jeeps, some Hondas, all Saturns for example) or they add accessories that allow it (electric transmission lube pumps, or driveshaft disconnects etc) In a manual trans yota the manual and the dealerships say to put the Tcase in neutral, but this connects the front and rear driveshafts. Leaving the Tcase in 2Hi and leaving the trans in neutral results in far less drag and wear and tear on the Tcase. Does it cause long term damage? Can't think of a single reason it would. My father has towed his yota like that all over the country for 12 years now and no problems with the Tcase or Trans, and I know many others who have as well.

But towing an automatic (except the few that can be towed) ANY distance (any distance means more than 2 blocks...) without doing something to prevent it from turning the trans internals (as in disconnecting the driveshaft,) you WILL damage it. Quickly.