Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Totalled my Taco, got an '02 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totalled my Taco, got an '02 4Runner

Hi all. Just to vent- on New Year's Day, I was in a hit-and-run! It totalled my 97 Tacoma ! He got me on the driver's side, exerting most of the force on the Xtra cab, bed and back axle. Busted the axle off the left springs and pulled out the driveshaft!!! Boy, the driveshaft makes an awful noise on the asphalt when you hit the gas (I tried to chase after him, not knowing the shaft was out!)!! No worries! My girlfriend was in her car in the lane next to me and I yelled at her to GO GET HIM!!!! She hauled a$$ after him and got the tag number !!! I'm seeing the doctor five days a week and seem to be getting better (screwed up my back,hip, neck, and shoulder.)
Anyway- I got an '02 4Runner SR5 4wd and love it! The first week I had it the CEL came on. They replaced the "canister assembly"- $425 parts/labor on their dime (I had to pay $50 deductable).
Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Same thing happened to me a few years ago on a Hilux, I ended up rolling over. (he hit me on the back wheel, driver's side and made the truck flip instantly) Good luck on sueing the SOB. Glad you're OK. Get well soon.

Last edited by TEPUI; 02-07-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:48 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i believe thats the charcoal canister than replaced.. same thing happened to me 2 weeks after i picked my truck up

also, congrats.. glad your gf got the guy!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Tepui- Thanks! I'm slowly getting better. Needless to say, I obtained a lawyer.

Yes, Lee, they originally said it was the "VSV and Canister", the invoice reads "canister assembly". Mechanics have told be NEVER to top of the tank, as that can cause the problem.

I'm slowly getting the Runner how I want it- I switched out the stereo I had put in the Tacoma a week prior to the wreck (I had also put $600 tires on it in November!). I also replaced my old Sirius satelite receiver for a new one. I've put a Yakima rack on the front to allow more tie down points for the surfboard and kayaks, too. I'm thinking I'll yank those running boards off, too.

Last edited by forcleanh2o; 02-07-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 AM

listen to the mechanic....DON'T TOP OFF!!!..stop filling once it clicks.

I was lucky enough to just change the VSV valve....not the whole canister.

Glad to hear your semi-okay...now make sure that idiot pays and hopefully learns a lesson.

-B
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM
lee
Contributing Member

no pics??
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM

Yes! Here are some pictures (sorry for the quality, as some had to brightened up in Photoshop to even see anything):
Attached Thumbnails Totalled my Taco, got an '02 4Runner-dscn0144.jpg  

Last edited by forcleanh2o; 02-07-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM

and another....

It wasn't a "T-Bone" accident, he caught me at about a forty-five degree angle, starting with the driver door then working back from there...
Attached Thumbnails Totalled my Taco, got an '02 4Runner-taco.jpg  
Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 PM

So what happened to the assmunch who tried to flee. Did the coppers visit him yet?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
im more interested in knowing how this guy will go down rather than your 02 4runner
Old 02-07-2006, 12:38 PM

The result..

Long story short, they got him. He was driving his girlfriends car and told her he hit a tree!!
I did a little research- He's 22 and has been convicted of larceny, injury to personal property, breaking and entering, and possession of stolen goods. He never served a day of time!!
Here's the run-down:
-My girlfriend chased and got the tag and called it in. The police said it DIDN'T come back on a Pontiac (which we both independently described).
-While still at the scene- THE GUY CAME BACK THROUGH THE INTERSECTION!!! He was sitting at the light from the direction he left! I pointed it out to the cop. She said she couldn't leave the tow truck driver. What a crock! I was going ape-$%it ! She said they had another officer at the next light. He missed him to.
-Later in the week I called the Chief of Police' Office and told them what happened. He went ape-$%it ! An hour later I went to the department and had it out with that officer for a half-hour. Finally talked to her supervisor (a SGT.) for nearly an hour. He said he'd put it at the top of the list and would look into it himself. Two hours later he called and said he had the car
-I have some contacts and checked out some things. With the tag number (which was RIGHT!) that my girlfriend got the night of the accident, I had the car's owner, address, insurance company and policy number- everything!
-the Sgt. called me back after meeting with the owner of the car to give me the info. I told him I already had it! You could have heard a pin drop on the phone- he couldn't believe I had everything. I reiterated that he didn't know who he was dealing with, just as I told him in his office earlier that day. I pointed out again how they screwed up the tag number.
- He called me back one last time that night to tell me the guy was arrested and on his way downtown. The Sgt. asked me to call the Chief's Office and let them know everything was taken care of and that I was "happy".
-I did call but, I wasn't happy . At least they got the guy and I have someone to sue. It not the litigous type but, in this instance his insurance will pay; I'm going to look into going after him personally.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM

court date

The court date is in March. Needless to say, I'll be there
Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
excellent. good thing your gf was driving next to you. my cop friends tell me all the time that they are so amazed by how many people are so unwilling to help others in your situation. "its not my business", is the most common excuse. but of course, when they are in that same situation, they moan and cry like b##ches.

anyways, i hope your lawyer nails him personally and his insurance company. i dont think you should have any mercy on this punk

bob
Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Yeah Bob. This guy needs to be held responsible. Funny thing is, he was driving his girlfriend's car. That means it's HER insurance company that's having to cover it. I'm not sure if they, in turn, will go after him or not. I've already told my lawyer I'm in no hurry to settle anything, as I want to be sure I'm 100% rather than settle then have more issues. I am curious to see if I can go after him, above and beyond the insurance company.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aloha. feel free to vent, just have better pics next time
nice police work too.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 AM

here's a better picture...

Old 02-08-2006, 05:13 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
excellent. good thing your gf was driving next to you. my cop friends tell me all the time that they are so amazed by how many people are so unwilling to help others in your situation.
seriously.

one day a couple months back, the car in front of me was going around a car turning left, and knocked a mirror off a car parked to the right of him and left a huge scratch along the car.

after waiting to see if he'd pull over at the next available spot, and seeing that he did not in fact do this, i called the local police and gave them the guy's plate and car info...

i have no idea if anything ever came of it, but i did what i could.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 AM

Way to go, Lee!
It's good that you were able to get the tag. Hopefully the police pursued it; wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. I'm like you, I would call it in- as I would want someone to do the same for me! I'm all about karma.

Last edited by forcleanh2o; 02-08-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by forcleanh2o
The court date is in March. Needless to say, I'll be there
Dont forget the neck brace!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 AM

Exclamation Update

The court date was today. I was there early. I was never subpoenaed but, there was no way I was going to miss being there. I also didn't want to not show and the guy get off on a technicality. The guy DIDN'T SHOW UP! They called his name, neither he nor an attorney were there. I'm not sure where it goes from here. I spoke to the arresting officer who gave me her next court date (in May). I'm not sure if they will issue a warrant for his arrest for failure to appear.?.
I was released from the doctor a few weeks ago- back/neck/shoulder seem to be back to normal. I've gotten back in the gym, too, which will be the true test. So far so good

Quick Reply: Totalled my Taco, got an '02 4Runner