Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Torn inner CV boot. 3rd gen writeup anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn inner CV boot. 3rd gen writeup anywhere?

Well, I just changed my oil and noticed grease splattered everywhere from the inner CV joint. This sucks. I did a search and found lots of threads on 2nd generation 4Runners and saw some variations so I am left with a few questions.
Will I need to disconnect the front shock (I hope not) ?
Should I purchase the rebuild kit from Toyota?
Will I need any other special tools?
Anyone want to head out east and lend a hand?
Old 08-14-2004, 04:32 PM

Just replaced all my boots myself, and you wiould be surprised at just how easy it is. Nothing more than a matter of knocking the spindle out of the hub (had a hard time finding the socket though, 36mm), then you can pull the axle assembly off the inner joint (just undo the clamp and the tripod will pull right out). From there just slide off the tripod, R & R the boots, then replace. The Toy kits are great, comes with all the right grease and new clamps, only like $40.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
Just replaced all my boots myself, and you wiould be surprised at just how easy it is. Nothing more than a matter of knocking the spindle out of the hub (had a hard time finding the socket though, 36mm), then you can pull the axle assembly off the inner joint (just undo the clamp and the tripod will pull right out). From there just slide off the tripod, R & R the boots, then replace. The Toy kits are great, comes with all the right grease and new clamps, only like $40.
Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Do I need to take out the four bolts near the lower ball joint?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by TStango
Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Do I need to take out the four bolts near the lower ball joint?
Yes, there's a write-up on a Taco somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it, http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...eplacement.htm

One difference I found is that he talks about removing two c-clips to slide off the tripod joint, I only had one clip on the outside of it, also the kit from toyota comes with new c-clips so don't worry about bending the old one. Also my hubs didn't just slide off the axle, I had to use a rubber mallet to "encourage" it. Have plenty of rags handy, as it's a very messy job.

Last edited by Wild_Bill; 08-14-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:42 PM

http://ttora-ne.com/newsite/main.htm

Write-up for ADD Tacoma boot install (it's under maintenance). I have been told that the 2004 Taco comes with better, stronger boots. Ask the parts guy if they are interchangable.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by calamaridog
http://ttora-ne.com/newsite/main.htm

Write-up for ADD Tacoma boot install (it's under maintenance). I have been told that the 2004 Taco comes with better, stronger boots. Ask the parts guy if they are interchangable.
Uhhh, that's the exact same link I just gave
Old 08-15-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
Uhhh, that's the exact same link I just gave
No, it is not the same link. It is the same write-up.

I gave a distinctly different link.

Which I wouldn't have given if I had looked at yours...
Old 08-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! I changed a half shaft on my Honda this past December and I just checked to see what size socket I had purchased to take the spindle nut off. It's a 36mm so, that's already a good sign
But this still is going to get messy.

The only thing I'm worried about now is whether I should waste my time with the boot clamps supplied in the Toyota rebuild kit. I had previous issues with the shaft-side clamps leaking after the lift. I ended up replacing those with large plastic zip ties and that seemed to work. BUT, I think the zip tie might have contributed to the tear in the boot. The locking portion of the zip tie is kind of large. So when the boot flexes in its normal rotation, the very first fold makes contact with it. This is because of the CV angle.

Last edited by TStango; 08-15-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

you can order some stronger inner boots from Kartek. they're vw boots and they're much stronger than the stockers. 30 bucks. i put them on mine and now never have to worry about an inner boot tearing again.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
you can order some stronger inner boots from Kartek. they're vw boots and they're much stronger than the stockers. 30 bucks. i put them on mine and now never have to worry about an inner boot tearing again.
$30 each? I just went to the Kartek website and didn't see any prices with those boots
Old 08-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a photo of Calrockx's CV after the boot replacement. The problem with the stock boot isn't the fact that it'll tear easily with a lift but that there wasn't enough flex designed into it. To use the Kartek boot you cut off the end of your stock boot to use as a adaptor, since the 930 boot was designed for a round CV. You'll have to call them direct and ask for "Baja" Mike, he'll know what boot you need.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

yep. what he said. thanks bruce.

bruce and i installed those boots on mine. it didn't take too long, considering we hadn't done it before . but it's all pretty straight forward and a good investment. it's a little hard getting the inside of the boot around the axle shaft to get the boot on in the first place (because the opening is so small, it's very tight once on), but using something sorta cone-shaped (secured to the end of the axle say via duct tape just for installation) will help ease it on.

i didn't see anything on their website either, but yeah call up kartek, ask for mike, he'll know what's up. others may not.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Hey guys,
I'm digging up this old thread because I now need a new half shaft. I ended up replacing both inner and outer boots with ones from a Toyota rebuild kit. I'm guessing the joint went too long without grease when the boot was ripped, or I did a bad job replacing them. Needless to say, the CV joint is no longer happy and needs to be laid to rest.
I'm wondering what would be recomended for aftermarket half shafts.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TStango
Hey guys,
I'm digging up this old thread because I now need a new half shaft. I ended up replacing both inner and outer boots with ones from a Toyota rebuild kit. I'm guessing the joint went too long without grease when the boot was ripped, or I did a bad job replacing them. Needless to say, the CV joint is no longer happy and needs to be laid to rest.
I'm wondering what would be recomended for aftermarket half shafts.
I'd like to know the same thing. I've found some at NAPA, anyone have experience with these?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 PM

I'd also like to know. I just noticed that my inner boot on the drivers side sprayed grease all over. I thought about doing the half shafts at the same time so i'm not pulling everything apart twice. TStango, let me know when you do it and everything and i'll take a ride out there to lend a helping hand if i can. I'd also like to see how you do it so i know when i get the funds to get it done on my runner.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Eeeeeeeeeeebay!
I know it'll be harder for you 3rd gen folk but I got a half shaft for less than $20 for my 1st gen. Everything is perfect so I can just swap out directly.

OR...
you could try checking out TTORA from time to time. Someone is always doing an SAS and unloading parts. You have to be kind of fast on that sometimes though...
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Well, my first thought was to go with Napa reman. but you have to keep in mind that they want a core. My core has two new boots on it, so I'm not ready to give those away when my passenger side boots have almost 150k on them. I might consider the local salvage yard.
Hey shotKing, I'll let you know when this is all going to go down. I've got brake pads and rotors to replace at the same time. Might not be for a few weeks though, since my car is currentlly cleaning me out.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:01 PM

question...you need to drain the front dif oil when you replace/rebuild the CV?

that's gotta be hell on the trail.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
I'd like to know the same thing. I've found some at NAPA, anyone have experience with these?
I got my reman from NAPA.
Its been on for 2years with no problems.

Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 PM

now are you sure its torn and its just not leaking? do you have any kind of lift in your truck? mine has a 3" lift in the front with a 1" diff spacer. mine spit a bunch of grease, but it still runs fine.. when i start to hear it click then ill re-pack them.

Quick Reply: Torn inner CV boot. 3rd gen writeup anywhere?