Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????

I'm still trying to decide which one I want for my 02 Runner.

The ARB look like they are more solid than the TJM bumpers but require cutting/grinding the end plates on the frame which I don't mind doing for the install.

I have only seen a TJM in person and was not too impressed by the quality of the Powder Coat finish. It seem very thin...This was a display model and was already scratched up and the lens covers for the turn signals didn't seem too sturdy. One was busted and the other was banged up. It didn't seem to hold up to being a Display model very well

How is the Powder Coat finish on the ARB Bull Bars ??? Is it more durable than the TJM's????

I'm hesitant to get a black Bull Bar because the sun down here tends to turn black accessories gray within a year or so.

TJM used to sell aluminum Bull Bars in the US but seems to have stopped almost as soon as they offered them.

I also through the "Search Function" found that a lot of members were getting the ARB Tacoma Bull Bars (PN 3423020) for their newer (97 - 02) Runners because they fit better than the Prado/Runner Bar (PN 3421010)

Would the same be true for the TJM - That is would a Tacoma (95.5-97) Aluminum TJM fit an 02 Runner???

Is the frame on a 95-97 Tacoma similar to the 96-02 Runners??
Old 10-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
All I can say is I am very impressed with the black powder coat on my ARB.
It has a few nicks on the bottom underneath, but those were already there from shipping.

The rest of the bumper including the bars and the front that get peltered going down the freeway show ZERO signs of anything.
I am very impressed with the paint on them.

I keep wax on mine, so a good coat may protect yours from the sun better.

And yes, most 3rd gens use the Taconian flavor of the ARB when it comes to the bumper.
The Prado one is not even recommended by ARB, they say to use the Tacoma one.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

I love my tjm as well. It does seem thin, but I have yet to break through it, and yes its been skuffed a couple times. As for the blinkers... I did this to a tree accidently when comming up a wet clay area where you had to go up a pretty steep incline and make a 90 degree turn and it hit right on the blinker part and you can't even tell on the bumper at all.

Big Image

I don't think you will be dissappointed either way. But, its hard to beat a $200 discount on the TJM through the group buy either. Just thought I would mention that
Old 10-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

I love my TJM, have given it a couple of good wacks on rocks, and it held up fine. Installation is a breeze. Just recently installed a Warn M8000 winch inside without any trouble. Mike from Extreme offroad is still running a group buy price on the TJM's as well.

See:
Attached Thumbnails TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????-carbonflexx.jpg  
Old 10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Nice tree turboale!!!! LOL
I gotta get me one of these Bumpers!!!!

Any more input from ARB owners????
Old 10-22-2003, 08:36 AM

if youre just looking for a really tough bumper id reccomend a smitty built tubular bumper, i had one on my last toy and i hit trees on the trails like its my job, and the bumper took it like a champ, and they also sell versions of to compensate for a body lift so theres no gap between the grill and the top of the bumper
Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Paul-

Thinking abut taking the next step, eh? Sounds good!
SteveO has a few good pics of his ARB. Keep in mind that he has a one-inch bodylift, too...
Old 10-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ALBPM
Nice tree turboale!!!! LOL
I gotta get me one of these Bumpers!!!!

Any more input from ARB owners????
There were two things about my TJM T-17 that disappointed me. The bolt-on wings had a gap where the rubber spacer thingy doesn't fit very tight and the scratches in the powder coat right out of the box. I have since welded on the wings and recoated the whole bumper with truck bed spray. Here are the pictures
Old 10-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like you did a great job with the coating. That is a fantastic idea!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Cool mt_goat!!

So, you added a brush guard to a T17 and recoated it. Nice custom job with the wrap around brush guard.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SkyRat
Looks like you did a great job with the coating. That is a fantastic idea!
Thank you, I used the rattle can Dupli-color truck bed spray for the texture and top coated it with SEM Chip-guard in satin black. It has held up very well so far (about 5 months). I haven't waxed it yet, not sure how that will work out.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Cool mt_goat!!

So, you added a brush guard to a T17 and recoated it. Nice custom job with the wrap around brush guard.
Thank you, it was the factory brush guard that came with my truck in 93. I cut it up a little and TIG welded it onto the TJM.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

I really like how you added the brush guard to the 17, looks factory

And Paul...I am now wondering why you went with the street tires???

Some MTR's would look awesome on your rig!

I got my Zainos too! But, this weekend doesn't look good for me:pat:

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 10-22-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
I really like how you added the brush guard to the 17, looks factory
Thanks, it was a fun project but lots of time. If I wasn't into metal work so much I would have just gotten one of the bullbars. I was pretty impressed with the ARB bullbar I was taking pictures of yesterday. They seem to have a stronger mounting design than the TJM, just by looking at it anyway.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Jim,

I opted for these because my daily drive to work is almost 40 miles round trip and my off-road endevors have been just getting to isolated fishing spots lately. These are somewhere between AT and street tires and work well for all but the Hard-Core Rock Crawling.
I have read good things about the M/S from Gadget and others. I'll see how well they do in mud and snow soon. The tires were balanced on the Hunter GPS-9700 so between this and the Diff Drop there is no more vibration in the front end at high speed. The stock Dunlops got pretty scary from 60 MPH on up.

No problem....I need to finish cleaning out the garage if we are ever going to park our cars inside the thing:pat:

Last edited by ALBPM; 10-22-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Jim are you trying to tell me I got "Old Fogie Tires"

Old 10-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, I didn't say that, but I'll quote it!

No, seriously, your Runner is the cleanest, nicest looking Runner around as far as I'm concerned. Have you seen BPI Bumpers it's for a Taco, but so is the TJM right? I like their no whinch bumper a lot.

And, if you do get a bumper...And you want to get it powder coated. I am sure my friend could match your truck (they have 1000's of colors and finishes) and give you a "buddy" discount. It would look cool to have a custom color keyed bumper.

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 10-22-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

The BPI Bumpers look cool. But they are almost the same price as the ARBs.

I kind of like the idea of having the the bars to protect the grill and lights plus I need something to tie down the fronts of our Kayaks to so the ARB or TJM T15 would be perfect.

Hmmm a custom powder coat color sounds interesting..
Old 10-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

first off i dont mean to hijack this thread, just making a quick response to a comment. please return to the ARB vs TJM discussion.
I have read good things about the M/S from Gadget and others. I'll see how well they do in mud and snow soon.

i had the michelins M/S tires as my original street tires, i wouldnt call them mudd tires by any stretch. maybe if you are just talking about little puddles sure. . . but if you wanna get real dirty you need some deeper, more open tread. granted you get a little more tire noise on the road, but it makes the car sound mean

stuck in the mudd in street tires -->michelin street "mudd" tires

chugging through the mudd with some real mudders-->real mud tires.

ok back to the bull bar discussion. ive heard the arbs are stronger, but i like the TJM look better.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 10-23-2003 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Hmmm a custom powder coat color sounds interesting..
Here is the problem with powder coats. The bumper will have to be completely stripped to bare metal before powder coating. Anywhere there is a small patch with the old coating still in place the new coat will not stick to it. Powder coats are great for first time virgin metal but the work and expense required to remove every flake of old coating is too much. I have tried to sand blast my powder coated TJM and even then it was very slow going to strip it off. From my experence the best thing to do is rough-up the old coating and paint it with your color choice.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-23-2003 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????