Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM finally on, fog light/turning light ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJM finally on, fog light/turning light ideas?

I got my TJM today (ordered from Jason B) and installed it in the body shop parking lot. Easy install, needed to borrow impact wrench to get old tow points off. Will need to adjust it this weekend but it's on!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...urr/TheTJM.jpg

I'm really wanting to mount some fogs and turning lights, and I think I've got it figured out. For those of you who have a TJM it will make more sense, but there are 2 bolts on the side of the bracket and 1 in the front. I'm thinking about bending some L-brackets for each of these spots. On the front I'd put a fog light, and on the side mounted at a 45 degree or so I'd have another set of cheap fog lights so I could see where I was about to turn. Here's a decent pic:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/TJMmount.jpg

I think it would be quite functional, I'm just not quite sure how they will hold up if I hit some hard drifts. If the bracket is solid I'd think they'd be alright. I also don't want to look like "THAT GUY" who has 342 lights mounted on the front of his vehicle. I'm hoping the lights will be somewhat out of view, but obviously I'm up higher than most cars. I'd need to decide if I wanted the cornering lights on a switch or have them wired with a cap and relay with the blinkers. Any thoughts? Oh for the front fogs I'm thinking Hella 550 or 450 amber fogs. My 500 driving lights will be on the TJM, replaced by some Lighforces or IPF's when the time is right.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 PM

Nobody? Booooo.... YT is just not what it once was... i hope it's just that everybody is in the garage modding the crap out of their rides and will post once the snow flies.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned

I think this has been covered before. Try a search on TJM and Fogs

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...light=TJM+fogs
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you like the bumper. The group buy price for TJM is still on, and you don't need to doa group buy.

See here for lights that worked out well.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...highlight=piaa

Last edited by Jason B; 11-08-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 AM

What do you mean by a "turning light"?

If you don't want to look like "that guy" - why not mount the fogs in the TJM like TJM has designed?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
What do you mean by a "turning light"?

If you don't want to look like "that guy" - why not mount the fogs in the TJM like TJM has designed?
By turning lights I mean lights that are angled to the side of the vehicle and come on when you turn on your blinker. I had started a thread on it before, but I got the idea from a Caddy Deville I used to drive. It lights up where you are about to turn. With vent visors and 5% tint it's really tough to see the corner at night and with snow it all looks the same. Essentially they are angled off to the side and are turned on by the blinker through a relay.

I maybe didn't clarify, between the hoop where TJM designed to mount lights I will have my Hella 500 driving lights mounted. Besides I think that for real fog that's a little too high.

I had seen that other thread but not much came of it. I was asking how you thought the mounting location would work with L-brackets, and if the light would survive very well down there.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM

when you talk about lights that are angled and come on with the parking lights, are you talking about fog lights (for visibility) or LEDs or low power halogens for signalling? I'm sure it depends on your state laws, but I've got to thing and angled fog light would be illegal in NY.

As for the TJM - I didn't mean on the bumper inside the hoop, I mean IN the bumper - replacing the stock signal lights... like I did. They are protected and very functional.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM

Jackson - they don't come on with the parking lights, they only come on when you have the blinker on. So, when you are coming to a corner and you turn on your blinker(left we'll say) a light will come on and the area you'll be turning to will be illuminated.

As for those fogs you have I've oogled over your site so many times, and those fogs are really sweet. My only concern is the blinker. It'd be easy enough to move it to the running lights, but they are partially covered by the hoop. Also if I were to ever get in an accident it's going to be evident that those aren't DOT approved blinkers and that could put me at fault.

What all did it take to get those in there like that anyway?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
Jackson - they don't come on with the parking lights, they only come on when you have the blinker on.
Sorry - I mean turn signal, not parking light

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
As for those fogs you have I've oogled over your site so many times, and those fogs are really sweet. My only concern is the blinker. It'd be easy enough to move it to the running lights, but they are partially covered by the hoop. Also if I were to ever get in an accident it's going to be evident that those aren't DOT approved blinkers and that could put me at fault.

What all did it take to get those in there like that anyway?
Why are they not DOT approved? They pass New York State inspection, which is one of the strictest around. It's a dual filament bulb, so there is a "dim" light used for the parking light, and a "bright" light used for the turn signals - fully functional, perfectly legal.

To move the signals, all you have to do is buy bulbs and sockets, rewire the lights, and modify the corner lenses (see my site for more details). To install the fogs, you have to widen the opening in the bumper, install the TJM brackets, and bolt up/wire up the fogs. Not at all difficult.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:38 PM

You're starting to persuade me! So TJM has a bracket specifically for mounting fogs in those locations? I looked around and hadn't found any info on their site... Thanks for the help btw.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 AM

Yes - TJM has a bracket specifically for this. There's not a lot of info about it on websites (at least, not that I've seen) - but most TJM dealers have them, or at least can get them. They aren't cheap though... bout $75 if I remember correctly.