Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Dilemma - 4th Generation 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Dilemma - 4th Generation 4Runner

After reading posts here, I decided to upgrade the factory Dunlops to some BigO X/Ts on my '03 4Runner. Dealer ordered 5 tires in 265/70r17. On my way out to the 4Runner at work, I wondered if there would be enough room in the spare tire location to hold a slightly larger tire.

Went to BigO an told them to mount the spare first and check whether it would fit in the spare tire location. Well it does not. It is too tight to fit, binds on the sway bar.

Since I have all wheel drive, any specualtion as to how many miles it would take to do damage with a smaller diameter spare used in the event of a flat?

Other options are appreciated.

The BigO I go to is way cool, giving me $335 trade-in on the Dunlops. I want to get something soon before the Dunlops are worthless.

I want a tire just short of a mudder class or at least a real agressive AT class, any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 07-14-2003, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lefty put some bigger tires on his lifted 4th Gen, he stuck with the original spare, as I remember the diffs are open so if you did have to limp home you should not have a problem.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Did you try airing down your spare? You can air up with 20PSI in the spare and carry a portable air compressor to fill the spare to full when needed. I was worried about this issue as well. The tow hitch really impedes on the size of spare you can run. Let me know what you find....I was looking at BFG All-Terrain's and Yoko Geolander's.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Speaking of spares, I have seen quite a few Runners, mostly 3rd Gens with the spare mounted on the back, and not with a rear bumper mount. It looks as if they attached it to an arm or swing out bracket that mounted onto the corner of the vehicle. Have you guys any idea where I could possibly find something like this? Any ideas on an exterior mount without the bumper would be great, I'm thinking the bumper makers are going to be years trying to figure out how to replace our cladded bumper with steel!
Old 07-15-2003, 05:31 AM

'02 Runner,

Edge has it right, I stayed with my factory spare due to the space problems under the truck (also, have you ever heard of anyone wanting to buy\sell 5 wheels ?).

In any case, there should be no mechanical problems with running a smaller spare tire due to our diffs being open (just like Edge said !). The problem I suspect that we will run into is the VSC. The VSC may notice the wheel spinning at a higher rate and try to apply the brakes, which obviously isn't good.

My plan is to swap out for the spare in the near future and drive around the block to see what happens. If VSC doesn't have a cow, we should be good to go with the original spare. If it does, we will need to go with plan B - remove the VSC fuse. Of course, I'm assuming that the VSC has a separate circuit...

Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

If you're upgrading tires.... since our vehicle is fulltime 4x4, it's recommended that you use the same size tire. Yes the diffs are open but it's always a good thing to make sure all the tires are the same size less issues to worry about.

The best suggestion is this: deflate the spare tire so it fits. then get a portable compressor so you can inflate it when you need it

The other options:

1 > roof rack that has a tire mount (since i have a yak megawarrior up on top, i plan to run the 285's when i get the tires).
2 > custom steel rear bumper with tire attachment. "custom" job which means it'll be expensive (i'm already thinking about this but only after i get a front steel bumper from either arb or tjm..)

good luck and that's a pretty good price for trade ins on the dunflops!

As for A/T's... bridgestone dueler a/t, or the bfg a/t comes to play i'm sure others will post up if you make a thread that focuses on A/T tires... or do a search... alot of people ask about tires about once a month or so!

lance
Old 07-15-2003, 10:32 AM

Lefty
I don't think the VSC will be effected by the tire size cause when I had my truck in the snow I literally had to stomp on the gas to break the end loose for the VSC to kick in, must be something like a bubble in a glass tube that when it gets moved from center it triggers the VSC, now if the system is setup to think a slightly smaller tire is making the truck fishtail constantly your rear breaks would never let off, you would have flat spots byt the time you get home.

At most what is the spare half and inch smaller, if one of your tires is low you loose that.

I want Yokohama Geolandar AT+II in 265/70 17, but I hope the size does not mess up my Nav:pat:
Old 07-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

edge:

the nav has nothing to do w/ the tires it's all done by gps... not by your tire to make calculations et etc
Old 07-15-2003, 10:59 AM

Good Times

I think their is a way to reset the NAv when you get new tires so all should be good
Old 07-15-2003, 11:42 AM

At most what is the spare half and inch smaller, if one of your tires is low you loose that.
Now why didn't I think of that ? :pat: Just lower the tire pressure on the off-side from the spare and I should be set ! Yotatech to rescue once again ! Thanks for the idea, Edge !

Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 04:14 PM

Thanks all for the replies, thoughts and ideas.

I decided to not do anything about the tires for now. As more of the 4Runners are sold, the manufacturers will have to start (I hope) building them in the 265/65r17 size.

In the meantime I am going to email BfGoodrich and Goodyear and encourage them that I need "their" tires. Maybe it will help, epspecially if they see multiple requests from everyone here!

Thanks again...

Tire money now burning a hole in my pocket...
Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 PM

i very much doubt that the manufactures will start producing more 265/65/17's. for one 17 is an odd size which most manufactures dont make or if they do they make very few. Unless car manufacters start producing lots of 17 inch rims with the stock 265/65 size like crazy on suv's i dont think you have much luck. if you want tires your gonna have to buy some 16's or 18's thats about your only bet it my opinion.

Chris
Old 07-17-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
i very much doubt that the manufactures will start producing more 265/65/17's. for one 17 is an odd size which most manufactures dont make or if they do they make very few. Unless car manufacters start producing lots of 17 inch rims with the stock 265/65 size like crazy on suv's i dont think you have much luck. if you want tires your gonna have to buy some 16's or 18's thats about your only bet it my opinion.

Chris
Chris you are problably correct. But I have this saying about never getting what you don't ask for! Goodyear already denied any 265/65-17 in the future other than the available SR-A (yuk).

Last edited by BigStew; 07-17-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:14 PM

Couldn't take it any longer. The Dunlops just had to go. Got the BigO XT in 265/70-17. I had them seat the bead and 10 psi or so on the spare. There is about 1/2" clearance to the sway bar.

And it gave me an excuse to get a 12volt air compressor.

Any advice/recemmendations on air compressors?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

bigstew:

there are alot of different applications out there for air compressors. compressed air (tanks), cig lighter air compressor and finally the 12v air compressor.

Either the the power tank or the 12v air compressor's the best way to go. if you plan to do any offroading, you'll be deflating your tires so this should be one item you should always have on hand! don't rely on a gas station or others hehe...

Power Tank: Corey has his setup, and it's clean! http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/power_tank.htm

Extremeaire Severe Air Compressor: I have one in my bay and it works well

ARB Air Compressor: another quality air compressor...

anyway, there's alot out there.. just a matter of how much you want to spend and how often you plan to use it. Keep in mind that there are pros and cons for each type of air compressor

find one you really like and if you have q's just ask us and we'll gladly help ya out!

Places to check out when shopping:
Mike at ExtremeOffroad (www.xtremeoff-road.com) - also a fellow yotatech member here..
local 4x4 shops ...
4x4connection.com, central4wd.com are a few places that come to mind right now.

Lance
Old 07-18-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by BigStew
Couldn't take it any longer. The Dunlops just had to go. Got the BigO XT in 265/70-17. I had them seat the bead and 10 psi or so on the spare. There is about 1/2" clearance to the sway bar.

And it gave me an excuse to get a 12volt air compressor.

Any advice/recemmendations on air compressors?
Do they rub
Old 07-19-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by EDGE
Do they rub
I won't say no rubbing in any situation, and I have not had them off-road yet. But I really don't think it is going to be a problem.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Upon Further Review

Okay, I crawled under the spare to check for clearance. I decided to air up the spare as much as I could. I was able to get 30 psi in the spare and still not rub. I had work clothes on when BigO first mounted the spare. So there is no need for the compressor.

What is the tube that it was (not) rubbing against. I thought it was a sway bar, but the sway bar is in front of the axle. This is just a tube connected to the axle on one side and the frame on the other. Is it there just to add rigidity to the axle? Does it have name?

Thanks

Last edited by BigStew; 07-19-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

show us a pic..

i'm sure it's the panhard rod. connected to the frame on the right side right? about 1" thick in diameter or so? if it is, it's the panhard rod.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Good Times
show us a pic..

i'm sure it's the panhard rod. connected to the frame on the right side right? about 1" thick in diameter or so? if it is, it's the panhard rod.
Alas, have not joined the digital camera age. (I did look at them yesterday!)

Yes it is the frame on right side. Thanks for the reply, I have heard the word panhard before, but was never sure what it was.