Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tire/brake help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire/brake help

My 99 4runner has lots of vibration, almost thumping, when I brake moderately (going downhill, etc..). I took it into the shop and they said the brakes are fine - almost new. The only problem he found was my right rear tire was way out of round. So questions:

1. What's causing the vibration/thumping I feel in the steering wheel? can't be a rear tire, right?

2. The tire that's out of round is only 6 months old. Do I have to scrap it? What problems could I encounter if I don't change it out? (And what exactly is "out of round"? - is the rubber giving in one area?)

OK, more than two questions...

thanks!

Kurt
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by callmekurt
My 99 4runner has lots of vibration, almost thumping, when I brake moderately (going downhill, etc..). I took it into the shop and they said the brakes are fine - almost new. The only problem he found was my right rear tire was way out of round. So questions:

1. What's causing the vibration/thumping I feel in the steering wheel? can't be a rear tire, right?

If you only feel the vibration when braking, it is likely that your rotors (or drums) are warped and may need replacement.

2. The tire that's out of round is only 6 months old. Do I have to scrap it? What problems could I encounter if I don't change it out? (And what exactly is "out of round"? - is the rubber giving in one area?)

Sometimes a tire does need to be scrapped but certainly not always and more often than not, a road force balance will smooth out the condition enough to be tolerable.
Here is something to explain various tire balance problems:
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/intro.cfm
Old 11-13-2005, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the link. What's a road force balance?
Kurt
Old 11-13-2005, 04:40 PM

I agree the thumbing while braking is probably because your rotors are warped (while your brake pads are fine). It happened to several 3rd gen owners on this board, me included. I replaced my front rotors with brembo rotors and it removed the problem. Don't get the old rotors turned, new OEM are only a little more and will last longer.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by callmekurt
Thanks for the link. What's a road force balance?
Kurt
My understanding of this is when they balance the tire simulating what it would be like on the road. I've also heard this as "high speed balancing." This is a more true balancing but costs a ton more. An average balance is $7 while this is $25 per tire.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 PM

What about vibrations at high speeds (60-70 mph) in the steering wheel? That's another symptom....

Should I just scrap these tires?? (Goodyear Wrangler RT/S)

New rotors and new tires?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM

That sounds like balancing issue. The wheels are lug centric so make sure the place you get them balanced at has the proper adaptor (do a search for adaptor I think it is called Haweka) or go to a Toyota mechanic/dealer. Do you have any warranty on the tires?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

I assume the 3rd Gen has a wimpy steering stabilizer shock... the 2nd Gens have really a really wimpy stock part. If that's bad, you'll have vibrations when you brake and when you don't.

However, just adding a stiffer shock to cover up the vibrations caused by bad rotors or balancing would not be a good idea.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM

I don't think the 3rd gen has a steering stabilizer
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ilizer+3rd+gen
Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your tires are indeed balanced, then have your alignment checked. Excessive toe-in might be causing the tires to shimmy which you would feel in the steering wheel.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
I don't think the 3rd gen has a steering stabilizer
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ilizer+3rd+gen
Good call, I was taking a guess... haven't played around with a 3rd Gen. that much.

(contrary to my previous post,)

so yah! Slap a stabilizer on there anyway, that will cover up all the shimmy
Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 AM

thanks for the input -I think I'm gonna take it to our Toy mech. and let them diagnose if it's balancing or alignment (or rotors) or what...not looking fwd to that bill, though.

thanks,
Kurt