Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing Cover WONT come off, its loose but it wont slide out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Timing Cover WONT come off, its loose but it wont slide out!

Hey there guys, i had another account but i cant seem to get into it. Its Geminifire incase anyone is interested. I used to have a first gen 1980 4x4 long bed that i did a bunch of stuff too until it blew up too many times. So much for 22r's being bullet proof, seemed like everyting i ever did to it made it mad enough to blow up on me.. oh well, sorry for the rant.

Now i have a 1998 tacoma 4x4 single cab 5 speed. I bought it for 500 bucks with a blown head gasket, and some front end damage. I have been fixing it up for the last week or so, but i just started to take the head down, and i figured while i was there i would replace the timing chain and internals in the front. Well... I cant seem to get the damn timing cover off! if your working on the motor from the front, it seems to be stuck from the bottom left (passenger side) but it will move about 1/2 of an inch on all sides. a little more on the right side, but i have quadrupel checked to make sure that i got all the bolts. and i know i did because the WHOLE timing cover will slide out, but then it hits something metal on that left side. I pried and pried (and almost cried!) but to no avail. So before i break anything, what do you guys think i should try next?

Thanks for the help, i look forward to hearing what magic trick there is for this kind of thing! I know that the 20r/22r/re stuff that i used to work on was much easier.. can someone explain to me what that 2nd timing chain does in there? i didnt know about it until i started pulling the cover and i saw it in there. That got me thinking, so i called napa, and a timing kit WITHOUT THE NEW SPROCKETS is 220.00???!!!! holy S*** thats a lot for a timing chain!!

-Chris