Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing Chain Install

Old 04-17-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Install

how hard is this to do? ive got the rock timing components (entire set- rails, tensioner, etc...) its going on a 94 pickup with 22re. ive done like pulleys, differential work, etc, but nothing too crazy.... if its something i shouldnt attempt myself i found a shop but its 600$ labor.... is that a good price, let me know what u guys think i should do
Old 04-17-2004, 03:14 PM

anyone? any tips or advice ... thx - steve
Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it yourself, man!

If you are mechanically inclined at all, do it yourself. The only thought required is that you keep the cam and crank gears in EXACTLY the same positions after you install the new gears. Be sure to upgrade to a steel-backed chain guide...the stock plastic ones always break prematurely.

While you're in there, get a new water pump and oil pump...they are only about 40 bucks each for high flow models and they are worth it. You'll get a brand new front main seal out of it too. If you do the whole thing: timing set, water pump, and oil pump, you'll spend about $225-275 for the whole job, including all the extra little gaskets and such. It's a full day's worth, but not difficult by any means.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:21 PM

is the water and oil pump necessary? im a student so its tough to get any money to do these things..... i have 108k miles, is it something i really should do? or can i wait or what... i think im going to attempt the chain myself with a haynes manual and hope i do it right
Old 04-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i did mine and it was the first real mechanical engine experience i had. there were some frustrating moments, but i'm glad i did it myself. i have the factory service manual too. ask questions during the install if you need. we'll keep an eye open.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:33 PM

ok thanks i hope everything goes well
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course the water pump and oil pump aren't necessary if they aren't leaking or worn, but yuo can get high quality replacements from a user on Ebay named "Engnbldr" and I think his water pumps and oil pumps are now under $40 each. I understand the money issue, trust me. I just graduate and am almost finished with med school and have a bagillion dollars in loans.

Water pumps typically last about 80k-140k. You're right in that range. For the few extra dollars, put it on your credit card, pay 5 bucks a month for a year, a get the oil and water pumps, if you want my 2 cents :-)

Good luck and contact me if you have ANY questions...more than happy to help!
Old 05-08-2004, 07:48 PM

i have a question regarding my timing install, im currently in the middle of it right now going to try and finish within the next day or 2..... i know that after i install the new stuff i can set the distrubutor to 12 o clock and it will get the timing in the ok range so the truck will at least run.... now after i get everything back together how exactly do i get the timing perfect? i know it says something about setting it 5 degrees but only at a certain time, ... with a timing light what exactly do i need to adjust in my motor and all? - steve
Old 05-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
i did mine and it was the first real mechanical engine experience i had. there were some frustrating moments, but i'm glad i did it myself. i have the factory service manual too. ask questions during the install if you need. we'll keep an eye open.
Same hear! Let's see, whare do I start? I was in the same situation end of last summer befoer going back to college and couldn't afford $1000 so i did it myself. I replaced the waterpump for like $17 so that was well worth it. The hardest part was after I got all the stuff off the cover, it was time to take the cover off. Mine was stuck and I spent an hour trying to get it off. It is snwiched between the head and the oil pan. After some sweaty moments I ended up pruing it off with a short pry bar. If you can't get it off by hand, be really carfull doing this. The cover is aluminum and the pipe sticking off of it will break if you pry on it hard. What ever you do, DON'T TEAR THE HEAD GASKET AT THE TOP OF THE COVER. Remember to take off the bolt that goes in through the top. You can't see it cus it is coverd in oil. Check the manual.

After you get the cover off, take a long hard look at the pullies. Then follow the directions when you put the new one on. It isn't a big deal, just line up the marks on the gears with the shinny links in the chain. That's all there is to it but it is essentual that you get it right.

Now clean the face really well and don't freak out when the head gasket begins to fall down off the underside of the head. It will do that. Just cover it with silicone on both sides when you are ready to put the cover back on.

Now that you have the cover in place, remeber that evey bolt is a diferent length and they must go back corectly. This takes some trial and error. It would be a lot easyer if you keep those bolts separate (I didn't and it cost me like 2 hours!).

The rest is a breez.

My last tip, it will take twice as long as you think so give your self lots of time. It took me something like 4 days after work and a full day on the weekend (like 15 hours since It was allways in the dark and cold and it took a while to get going each day and bla bla bla).
Good luck!