Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt and water pump replacement questions

I'm geting ready to do this on a 3.4L 4Runner and after reviewing
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm
and
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

and the FSM, I have a couple of questions for anyone who's done this.

Most people have fabbed up an SST to remove the crankshaft bolt, I was looking around and found this.

Does it look like this will work?

What have you used to clean the area around the water pump?

And when you are checking the idlers for "excessive" noise, how much is too much?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
virtually any noise in the idlers means replace them (IMO) its not like you can get to them easyly to check them in another 30-50K

That tool will work, but i just fabbed up my own tool out of a pice of angle iron and a couple of bolts into the crank pully instead of useing the cam pully.

area round the water pump, i used a 90* die grinder with a surfaceing pad (ie its a scotch brite pad kinda thing) short of that puddy knife, wire brush, etc
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snap-on
virtually any noise in the idlers means replace them (IMO) its not like you can get to them easyly to check them in another 30-50K
Is it likely that I could tell if one of the idlers is making noise before I get into the project, or is it just something you find out once you get in and spin the idler?

Originally Posted by snap-on
That tool will work, but i just fabbed up my own tool out of a pice of angle iron and a couple of bolts into the crank pully instead of useing the cam pully.

I don't understand what you mean by using the crank pulley instead of the cam pulley. I thought you had to remove both and was wanting that tool to work for both.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by poriomaniac
Is it likely that I could tell if one of the idlers is making noise before I get into the project,
Prob not. Ive never been able to. I always have to tare it down first. Else you can order them have them on hand and if you dont use them return them. I spin them by hand if you can hear them or they spin very easly then i replace them.

I don't understand what you mean by using the crank pulley instead of the cam pulley.
ok so while i have never done this on a 3.4L ive done it a number of times on a 3.0. (the pic below)

while i understand the motors are diffrent i still think the crank pully is simular.
so those 4 bolts hold an outer "tin" peice on a cast pully. (A/C belt) so i pulled 2 of those out and bolt a peice of angle iron on that butts up against the frame.

I've never pulled the cam pullies off as you dont have to for a simple timing belt change. If your going to be working on the heads or what not thats diffrent.

Last edited by snap-on; 08-25-2005 at 10:42 AM.