Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing belt and water pump replacement

Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt and water pump replacement

Hi, its about time I change my timing belt and water pump.(3.4 V6) I never did this before. I read the write up on this procedure and feel kinda intimidated. I mught pay someone to do it for me. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to do? My mechanical level is if an oil change rated @ 2 on a scale of 1 to 10( 10 being hardest.) THANKS.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the timing belt and water pump (should do the seals while you are in there as well) is going to be in the 8 area. It is not an easy task but if you know what you are doing and take you time not inpossible.

I had mine done for my just because of time. If i had had the time i would have done it. The best writeup is in a haynes manual for your truck. You can get them from pep boys.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Tough call, but it comes down how much time you have to get it done. I'd say it's a 9 out of 10. It took a long time for me to do and I had a hard time getting it done. It's one of those jobs that you are kicking yourself for not paying someone to do it, but when you are done you're glad you did it. On top of that when you pull the old belt off and it looks just like as good as a new one...ah but better safe then sorry.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

if it's your first time then an 8 or 9 out of 10. the first one i did on my 3.0 took me 2 days. then i did my friends 3.0 in a day. then did my other friends 3.4 in less than a day.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 AM

I concur with the 8 or 9 out of 10. Unless you are comfortable pulling the front end of your engine off, OR have alot of time (couple of days) to figure it out as you go if DONT have alot of experience... I would have it done somewhere. I am comfortable pulling engines apart, but I did not have the time or the few "specialty tools" needed to do the job.

I think ANYONE can do this job if they have the time to "learn as they go" and are patient and plan ahead to have all possible needed parts and tools handy before they begin..... it just boils down to judgement call on your part.

Good luck, and let us know what you ended up doing.

James
Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 AM

how much should you expect to pay someone to do it? Is it best to get it done at the stealership? (3.4L engine)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Well you can try the stealership and they might be cheaper but they WILL try to duble charge you on labor (if you do the water pump the belt is free labor as they have to take it off anyways) and if you want them to do the seals as well then look out!

I had it done at my regular mecanic and it was just under $400 in labor. Then it is just parts (in my case he bought them and since i know him he gave me a discount) the parts should run about $100 - 150 for the pump and $50 - $60 for the belt. Then the seals are only about $25.

While you are having all that done it makes sense to have them do the rest of the belts and the thermostat since they have to remove all of them anyways. That should not be any extra labor just the parts.

In my case for the whole 9 yards i paid $750 for everything above. Not a bad deal really. Could i have done it cheaper myself? Yes. Did i have time? no.

It is up to you, if you have the time go for it, if not (or if you are not sure about it) then have it done.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Although you asked this in PM i think other people will benifit from this. If you want me to take it down just ask.

What seals? Are they for the cams?
Yes, the seal for the cams and crank. they are not that expensive and just makes sense to do them while you are in there. before you even think about starting this get a haynes book for your truck. Read the timing belt replacement section 3 times all the way through, then decide if you want to do it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I keep trying progressively harder stuff, and that (back in March) was my hardest yet. It took me about 19 hours total as there were a few frustrating items (stupid AC bracket!). I learned a ton though! There are guys here that can do it a lot faster, but don't expect to get through it as fast as a mechanic if your aptitude is 2/10. Total cost for me after shopping around (including a couple of air tools) was $125 - I found everything online at checker and they gave me the internet prices for the water pump and Goodyear timing belt. Worth it finacially, and worth the experience - it was a great feeling when I cranked it up and the engine didn't explode
If you don't have a lot of time, or you're not very confident in your abilities, get a friend to do it and watch them, or pay someone else. I'd do it again, but now I know what to expect! (if you do it yourself, get the right tools for the job before you even start - that crankshaft pulley can be a nightmare! Here's the webpage I found very useful (in addition to my crummy Haynes manual - I would look at Chilton's if they have one).
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/
Good luck and be sure and ask if you have more questions
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Maj

I just did mine last weekend. If I had it to do over, I would pay someone. The crank bolt was MF'n tight. Starter trick did not work. After spending an hour trying to loosen it by myself, my neighbor finally got home and held the strap wrench while I put a 2' cheater pipe on the end of my breaker bar and pulled. The breaker bar was bending like a noodle (and my neighbors face turning red from the strain) when that bolt finally snapped loose after several gut-wrenching attempts. I had to run up to Advance Auto Parts and borrow their harmonic balancer puller to get the balancer off. Heed others suggestion about buying the tool that compresses the tensioner. I decided not to and spent an hour snaking the tensioner bolt in and out from in between the A/C compressor and the block. I generally enjoy working on my rig but not this time...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cox380
how much should you expect to pay someone to do it? Is it best to get it done at the stealership? (3.4L engine)
The stealership will tell you one price, and then when they get it apart will tell you multiple other things that need to be replaced. The mechanic I used is very honest. He quoted me a price that included everything that might possibly need to be replaced in this situation. When I got it done, it did not need it all so it was cheaper, but I was prepared. I think mine was around $900.

I had a real bad belt squeek. My mechanic explained that this was because Toyota belts have felt like coating to make them quieter and this sometimes wears off and gives a little whine. I was about 15000 miles from the timing belt replacement, so he suggested we wait. I did, and returned in 5000 miles because I needed something minor done. While it was in, he noticed the water pump was leaking. He suggested we go ahead and do the timing belt, water pump, and belts a little early since it would all be apart for the water pump anyway.

I know I have finally found a great, honest Toyota Mechanic. I took it in at around 65000 for its fluid changes. I drive a lot in the mountains and off road so I knew the brakes had to be getting real worn. I told him I thought it was time for pads, he checked it out and said they were fine, 40% front and 60% rear. Two years later, same thing...now 79000....I tell him to check the brakes....30% front and 50% rear. I guarantee if I had taken it to any Toyota Stealership in my area I would have had two major brake jobs by now. I refer all my patients who drive Toyotas to these guys! If you are in Fort Worth or within driving distance of Ft Worth, give Kevin a call at Lexutech...They are a dealer alternative mechanic....all the techs are Toyota trained and used to work for Toyota dealerships. These guys ROCK!

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-07-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
The stealership will tell you one price, and then when they get it apart will tell you multiple other things that need to be replaced. The mechanic I used is very honest. He quoted me a price that included everything that might possibly need to be replaced in this situation. When I got it done, it did not need it all so it was cheaper, but I was prepared. I think mine was around $900.

I had a real bad belt squeek. My mechanic explained that this was because Toyota belts have felt like coating to make them quieter and this sometimes wears off and gives a little whine. I was about 15000 miles from the timing belt replacement, so he suggested we wait. I did, and returned in 5000 miles because I needed something minor done. While it was in, he noticed the water pump was leaking. He suggested we go ahead and do the timing belt, water pump, and belts a little early since it would all be apart for the water pump anyway.

I know I have finally found a great, honest Toyota Mechanic. I took it in at around 65000 for its fluid changes. I drive a lot in the mountains and off road so I knew the brakes had to be getting real worn. I told him I thought it was time for pads, he checked it out and said they were fine, 40% front and 60% rear. Two years later, same thing...now 79000....I tell him to check the brakes....30% front and 50% rear. I guarantee if I had taken it to any Toyota Stealership in my area I would have had two major brake jobs by now. I refer all my patients who drive Toyotas to these guys! If you are in Fort Worth or within driving distance of Ft Worth, give Kevin a call at Lexutech...They are a dealer alternative mechanic....all the techs are Toyota trained and used to work for Toyota dealerships. These guys ROCK!
I have heard about those guys as well. Good guys from what i hear.

I use another mechanic that has serviced ALL my cars for the past 10+ years and there is a reason i have stuck with him! Same as above, honest and doesn't overcharge.

If you are on the west side on fort worth go to Jewel Auto. PH: 817-924-1776 (just happend to have a card laying on the desk :-)
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

The crank bolt was MF'n tight. Starter trick did not work. After spending an hour trying to loosen it by myself, my neighbor finally got home and held the strap wrench while I put a 2' cheater pipe on the end of my breaker bar and pulled.
When I finally got to the crank bolt I was already pretty fed up - I had to rig something. I cut about 4' of a 2x6 plank and drilled two 3/8" holes, as well as a 1/2" hole between them. I put two 3/8" drill bits through the board into the pulley and stuck my 1/2" socket extension through - that became my lever. It creaked and cracked but held up through getting the bolt off with a big old breaker bar. That was the turning point - it was all downhill after that, even re-torquing the crank bolt back on was a piece of cake. After that sucker finally busted loose I just about did a jig!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 AM

8 or 9 out of 10 for sure. You need the correct tools, as per various thread on here if you search, and you should do the water pump at the same time. I would skip the seals if this is the first TB change. I have read nothing that says they weep. That said, if they are leaking then replace them. It took me 4 plus hours the first time. I could do it again in 2.

G
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks everone for all of your responses. I decided to have it done by my neighbors friend which is a factory trained toyota tech (I'm Happy) He does jobs on the side and has access to all of the "special" tools. I done bought all of the parts to do it too @ 35 percent off (got a hook-up SWEET!!!!) My yota is in the shop now getting the clutch replaced. Cant wait to get er' back I MISS MY YODA!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 PM

I did it and found an impact wrench and the FSM (Factory Service Manual) were invaluable. Its about a 7/10 job. Lining up the cam gears with the crank gear was the most difficult (and the most important) part of the job.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 AM

I used a Gates kit, the belt is marked for proper sprocket alignment and comes with the tensioner and idler pulleys took me about 5 hours to do the job (I wrench for a living) the flat rate says 3 hours ( I wanna see that!!!!)
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM

I've changed my own oil, various fluids, eletrical work, suspension work, etc., but I will have a reputable mechanic do my timing belt and water pump. Not worth my time or the frustration to do this on my own.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:37 AM

doing timing belt can be intimidating but do your research b4 attempting. these are the tools you must have to reduce the intimidation.

-~500ft-lb w/ impact sockets
-torque wrench
-set of metric wrenches
-metric ratchets and sockets
-lastly, have as much notes out while youre doing so you dont screw up.

Just do the research and ask questions b4 hand. Its all about protocol.