Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

timing belt w/p etc. replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing belt w/p etc. replacement??

I've been putting it off for too long,just got back from one long trip1600 miles and getiing ready to head to Canada, thought I would look at my timing belt, had "that" feeling imagine my horror when I saw the worst looking belt you can imagine I don't know whats keeping it together other than the grace of God. Will get pics up soon, anyways I guess I won't be taking the runner to Can. I going to order the parts online so I'll have them when I return, my question is can someone steer/ link me to a good writeup and do I need to replace everything pulleys,or just bearings or seals?? tensioners etc. I want to do it right the truck, 2000 ltd runner has 220,000 on it. t. belt done only once, what can I expect to spend for all necessary parts to do it up right??online sources that your happy with oem brands to buy etc. thanks a ton ,I know there is a lot of info on here (overwhelming)

It looks way worse in person!

Last edited by y2kltdsport; 08-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Replace everything. Belt, bearings, seals, water pump, accessory belts, etc etc.

Do it all at once so you have something that will last a long time.

Buy the parts from toyotapartsales.com
Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used this write-up for my 4Runner, and all original dealer parts. Like DeathCougar said replace everything, the seals aren't much extra $ and you'll really be kicking yourself if you don't and it starts to leak in a few months.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

are the parts you buy online at toyotaparts etc. the same as if I went to my dealer???
Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 PM

bumppp
Old 08-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, i get my oem toyota parts at championtoyotaparts.com.

has anyone actually had toyota do their timing belts for them? i am wondering the price
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 AM

I was going to do mine but I didn't get time or a garage before my 2200 mile road trip from Utah to Canada. I had the stealer do it.
I had them replace the following:
1) Timing Belt
2) Water Pump
3) Thermostat
4) Radiator Hoses
5) All old coolant
All the seals, pulleys and tensioners looked good so they didn't need to change them, and they told me that it is rare on the first timing belt change if they do.
It was $650 including tax. 5.5 Hrs Labor @ $94 / hr. + parts
BTW, those idler pulleys are EXPENSIVE! Between $100-$120 / EA! I believe the tensioner was about $100 also. I could have purchased ALL needed parts from Findlay Toyota in Henderson NV for $380 including shipping.

Last edited by stir_fry_boy; 08-19-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 AM

what I'm wondering is are you guys replacing pulleys/ idlers or just bearings,bearings and seals?? and what can be done with tensioner, just replace? I don't want to leave anything out when I order my parts thanks

Last edited by y2kltdsport; 08-19-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 AM

As far as the pulleys/idlers, bearings (I havn't heard of any in there), and seals they should be replaced according to need. On the first timing belt, as I said before the replacement percentage on the first timing belt for the seals, pulleys and tensioner is very rare. The dealer might keep one on hand just in case. Even the tensioner gets put back in. On a Honda however, the tensioner gets replaced everytime because once they are undone they somehow are never the same and end up failing. On Toyota, they are put back on and they last. I had a V6 Camry with the original tensioner, seals, and water pump and it still didn't have any problems with 181K. That is almost time to change the TB again! The dealer said that is very common to go that far without any change of the pulleys, tensioner and seals on the Toyota V6 engines. If you want piece of mind and you are going to do it, I would change them. I let the dealer handle if they were going to replace them.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 AM

I've got 220K miles on it
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the mileage, I would replace everything including all seals and idler pulleys.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
As far as the pulleys/idlers, bearings (I havn't heard of any in there), and seals they should be replaced according to need. On the first timing belt, as I said before the replacement percentage on the first timing belt for the seals, pulleys and tensioner is very rare. The dealer might keep one on hand just in case. Even the tensioner gets put back in. On a Honda however, the tensioner gets replaced everytime because once they are undone they somehow are never the same and end up failing. On Toyota, they are put back on and they last. I had a V6 Camry with the original tensioner, seals, and water pump and it still didn't have any problems with 181K. That is almost time to change the TB again! The dealer said that is very common to go that far without any change of the pulleys, tensioner and seals on the Toyota V6 engines. If you want piece of mind and you are going to do it, I would change them. I let the dealer handle if they were going to replace them.

Just because you don't *think* a bearing needs replacing doesn't mean it is a good part, or is not about to fail. If you are already there, why would a person not spend the few extra $$$ to replace them? Every idler and tensioner in the world relies on a bearing, and bearings, like any moving part, is prone to failure. I would like to see your tensioner bearing after 180k miles. My bet is either A. it was trashed or B. it was not the original (did you own the car since new?)

I never ever resuse wear parts when I am that deep into a motor. Imagine having to tear the engine completely back apart in 2 weeks when the bearing starts making noise!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
Thanks for the mileage, I would replace everything including all seals and idler pulleys.
I just did my timing belt and water pump (replaced all the idlers and tensioning hardware) at around 230K miles and did everything except the seals.

I inspected all the seals and there was ZERO signs of leakage/weeping or dirt accumulation. I talked to a friend of mine that is a Toyota mechanic and head of a dealership's service dept and also called several dealerships and their answers were all the same, unless its leaking don't mess with it.

When you go in and do a mass replacement of seals you run the risk of having a leak where one wasn't before.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM

thanks again DC I'm with you, want to replace everything just not sure about the seals etc how easy to remove replace , and the idlers/ pulleys do they just get replaced or bearings only? just not clear on those things thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Just because you don't *think* a bearing needs replacing doesn't mean it is a good part, or is not about to fail. If you are already there, why would a person not spend the few extra $$$ to replace them? Every idler and tensioner in the world relies on a bearing, and bearings, like any moving part, is prone to failure. I would like to see your tensioner bearing after 180k miles. My bet is either A. it was trashed or B. it was not the original (did you own the car since new?)

I never ever resuse wear parts when I am that deep into a motor. Imagine having to tear the engine completely back apart in 2 weeks when the bearing starts making noise!
I couldn't agree more! With this particular vehicle, I bought it with 118K on it. Everything was done at the dealership and I had all the records with the car since new. I was the 2nd owner. They only replaced the timing belt, that was it inside there. I looked at the timing belt and it wasn't floppin around in there at 180K. I am sure the tensioner bearing was pretty worn, I sold it before I did the belt again, but seemed to still work with no problems or leaks.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
thanks again DC I'm with you, want to replace everything just not sure about the seals etc how easy to remove replace , and the idlers/ pulleys do they just get replaced or bearings only? just not clear on those things thanks
I agree with DC. From my understanding the pullys are one sealed unit with a bolt going through the middle of them. You buy the pully, you buy the bearing. Seemed pretty easy to install upon looking at the pics.

Last edited by stir_fry_boy; 08-19-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM

Anybody feel like making aparts breakdown on what they did? I'm going to do mine and want to make sure I order all the parts I need. If I'm going to have it down to that level, I might as well do the pullies too.

Side thought, any thoughts on converting to an electric fan while I've got it torn down to that level?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flite
Anybody feel like making aparts breakdown on what they did? I'm going to do mine and want to make sure I order all the parts I need. If I'm going to have it down to that level, I might as well do the pullies too.

Side thought, any thoughts on converting to an electric fan while I've got it torn down to that level?
Timing Belt
Water Pump w/gasket
2 Idler pulleys
Tensioner
Thermostat w/ gasket
if your seals are leaking you will need those (2 cam and 1 crank)
The FSM calls for replacing the crankshaft pulley bolt. Most dealers won't replace it and they reuse it
I replaced the radiator hoses while I had the coolant out anyway.
2 gallons Toyota Coolant (not premixed) I think you need about 2.5 gal.
I don't think I would convert to electric fan. It is designed that way for a reason. I wouldn't mess with it. The Yukon has electric fans, and has a bigger engine. I think that if GM can do it, so could Toyota. But Toyota chooses not to. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:52 AM

I would get everything replaced at the same time. My water pump bearings failed and tore up my WP causing it to fail along with the timing belt.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

I got it all done last weekend took me 2 days. i'll post info shortly

Quick Reply: timing belt w/p etc. replacement??