Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

timing belt please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt please help!!!

so a buddy and i were doing the old timing belt and water pump install today. we succeesfully installed the weater pump and i thought we had the timing belt. we had the cam marks lined up with the timing belt marks and the crankshaft was lined up with the mark on the block (putting piston 1 at tdc). i'm not sure however if the cam pullies were lined up with the mark on the rear timing belt cover. so to make a long story short when i tested the belt by turning the crankshaft, for every full rotation i made the line on the timing belt was one tooth to the left of the cam pulley mark (after four rotations the line was four teeth to the left). so now it is taken back apart and i cant get the mark on the cam pulley to line up with the mark on the rear timing belt cover. when i try to turn the cam pulley it ffels really tight then it jumps about three inches WTF. sorry for being long winded but any help is greatly appreciated. oh yeah one more thing. to make matters even worse it has been raining most of the afternoon, and i have no garage to work in.
thanks in advance
-----steve
Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had problems like this when I tried to use a after market belt. After I got a Toy belt, it went on exactly like it should.

If I remember right, I fitted the belt on the cams first and the crank last.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:41 PM

i also put it on the cams first and the crank last.
do you think i should take the one i have back to napa and get one from toyota?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:41 PM

I have had the best luck with toyota belts.

As long as all the marks are lined up correctly, your ok. When you start turning the engine over the mark on the crank will move on you because of the difference in number of teeth on the gear compared to the cam gears, and the space in between. Don't worry about it. As far as the cam being hard to turn and then jumping, it's because of the valves opening and closing. It's normal.

I install on the cam gears first. Make sure you have the slack on the tensioner side, and no slack on the drivers side.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 PM

I forgot to mention. When aligning the cam pullies, make sure that the dowel pins that center the pullies on the cams are pointing straight up.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely take the NAPA belt back. I'm not sure why, but the Toy belt went on like it was made to be there. After struggling with the aftermarket belt a while, I took a break to go get some more parts from the dealer, on a whim, I picked up the Toy belt while I was there. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:07 PM

thanks alot for the help guys, i will definatley take that bet back to napa and go get one from toyota.

however quikrunr, it's not the marks on the crank that are screwed up it is the marks on the cam that get thrown off from the mark on belt is this still a problem?
Old 07-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 95red4runner
it's not the marks on the crank that are screwed up it is the marks on the cam that get thrown off from the mark on belt is this still a problem?
Why risk it? You could button it back together and it might run fine....then again it might not. This is not the type of job you want to do twice without about 75,000 miles inbetween.