Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing Belt Help

Old 04-19-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Belt Help

Hi Guys

I recently purchased my 4runner with 81k. I have started to notice some squeaking noises coming from the belts. I have also noticed a little delay/ slop when I 1st accelerate and slow to a complete stop (hard downshift to 1st).

The lady I got it from didn't replace the timing belt when she owned it (71k-81k). She just did regular maint + tires and radiator flush. She said that the guy she got it from took very good care of it, but she didn't have any of the service records. Do you think I should replace the timing belt, bearings and water pump?

Thanks

Last edited by BASSMAN; 04-19-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

The timing belt replacement for 3rd Gen 4Runner should be 60K miles. The previous owner might or might not replace the belt and water pump. But if I were you, I would not take the risk. Normally toyota timing belt comes with a sticker that you can put the mileage when you replaced the belt and stick on top of the timing belt plastic cover. You think by any chance they might stick it somewhere else. Mine was done that way by Toyota at 62k miles. Good luck man!!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the info ranma- i definetly wont be taking any chances i'll have that replaced soon!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ranma21
The timing belt replacement for 3rd Gen 4Runner should be 60K miles. The previous owner might or might not replace the belt and water pump. But if I were you, I would not take the risk. Normally toyota timing belt comes with a sticker that you can put the mileage when you replaced the belt and stick on top of the timing belt plastic cover. You think by any chance they might stick it somewhere else. Mine was done that way by Toyota at 62k miles. Good luck man!!

Actually the Timing Belt is due @ 70K miles. I waited until 80K and others have take it till 95+K.

So here are the thoughts. The 3.4L is a non-interference engine (ie the valves won't crash into the cylinder heads if the timing belt breaks) so run it till it pops. However, I not a fan of this idea. Imgaine if it broke at the wrong time (ie on the train tracks, accel into traffic, ect...) So my suggestion - Change it. At the same time, consider the water pump, cam seals, main crank seal, thermostat and gasket, flush the radiator, & change the drive belts.

Best of luck
Andrew
Old 04-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the top of the timing cover off and take a look at the belt.
If it was original, it will surely have a glazed look and a hard feel to it.
If it has been changed, it will likely have a more supple feel and not as shiny.

It would be a shame to change it if it were done already but the only way to be SURE is to actually do it again unless you can contact the previous owner and ask them yourself. Like Andrew said I am also not a fan of the "drive it til it breaks club". To me that is poor maintenance and potentially very dangerous. On the other side I used to be a mechanic and I have seen timing belts go over 200k despite the neglegence of the owner. The timing belt will almost assuredly make it to 100k but after that it is a crap shoot as to when it will really break.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-20-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 AM

Thanks for advice Jamie&Andrew.

I just talked to my local mechanic who owns his own shop and is very affordable. He lets me bring in my own parts in and has always done good work. He has never done any work on a 4runner however he has don tons of timing belts and is quite familiar with toyotas. I have also been browsing for parts online and have narrowed it down to 3 sights to order from. This may be a good new thread also poissible poll.

PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR FAVORITE SIGHTS AND PLEASE POST YOUR OPINIONS/EXPERIENCE WITH THAT SIGHT
autotoyotaparts.com
toyotapartstore.com
buyautoparts.com/toyota

They all have free shipping for orders over $50 and the same parts/similar prices. They are factory parts (which is what I want for the timing belt install).
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BASSMAN
Thanks for advice Jamie&Andrew.

They all have free shipping for orders over $50 and the same parts/similar prices. They are factory parts (which is what I want for the timing belt install).

You should PM Todd (TOR) on this board and he will give you some sweet prices on OEM stuff.
Give him a parts list and see what he can do.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

All those web sites sell aftermarket parts. I will stick with factory toyota parts.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:11 AM

As far as aftermarket goes, I just bought a new OEM Toyota Timing belt and it doesn't look near as good as the GATES Timing belt I took off of it.

If I had to buy it again, I'd definetely buy the GATES over the Toyota Timing belt
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by radrex
As far as aftermarket goes, I just bought a new OEM Toyota Timing belt and it doesn't look near as good as the GATES Timing belt I took off of it.

If I had to buy it again, I'd definetely buy the GATES over the Toyota Timing belt
Really. Is the gates one designed specific for the 4runner? You think that the quality of the gates is superior than the OME?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with radrex. if you decided to go for aftermarket parts, I will go with gates too. They produce high quality timing belt. I am not sure if Gates is bettter than factory parts, the quality could be the same or better. But you wouldn't go wrong with factory parts for sure.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Toyota parts are made by aftermarket manufacturers under contract. These contracts prevent the manufacturer from selling the parts to anyone but Toyota for a specified period of time. Once this contract is up, you can buy these same parts on the open market for MUCH LESS THAN TOYOTA! Take the water pump for 3rd gen Toyota's for example. Toyota wants $195 for the part but I can get the exact same part from the same mfg for $90. Which would you buy? The same is true of the Thermostat, Timing Belt, and many other parts.