Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing Belt Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt Cover?

Hey guys. I recently noticed sort of a rattling from my engine. The rattling is extremely loud, and randomly goes away. I did some investigating, and found that it is coming from behind the plastic cover on front of my engine. I think the big piece of plastic covers the timing belt(more than likely wrong here). It sounds like a plastic piece broke off in there, and is now getting thrown about. When the noise goes away, it sounds like the piece is spinning in there. Kind of sounds like it's being spun around in a pulley.

I was planning on making a trip to the stealer, but then thought how hard it might be to take off that piece myself. I've never ventured in there, but looks like I would just need to remove some screws and also the metal piece where the top radiator hose goes into.

Has anyone taken this off before? Is it as simple as it looks? Could me doing this myself come back and bite me in the arse in any way?

Thanks in advance for any help. You guys rock!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, I was doing a search for something else and ran across this tread. Not sure if you have already figured it out, but if not, here's how to do it. (I did it yesterday too--so, I had better not leave anything out)

1) Remove skid plate below radiator. (12mm, if I remember correctly)

2) Drain coolant from radiator.

3) Disconnect the 2 vacuum hoses that come up from the little air box to the tubes that run along the front of the plenum.

4) Remove the main upper coolant hose and bypass coolant hose by taking off the 2 bolts (10mm I think) holding it down right in front of the timing cover.

5) Take belts off of the power steering and alternator pulleys. You can just let it hang down from the pulleys behind the fan. (not sure if that make sense)

6) Remove the bolts from timing cover. (10mm) There are 4 on top, 2 in the center, and probably about 4 or 5 around the sides and bottom. Pull the cover out from the top. Your in!

7) Putting everything back together is the same, just in reverse of course.

Well, hope that helps. It's not that bad. Draining the radiator was probably the worst part for me.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-14-2003, 05:02 PM

How much time do you have in the Otter?

It is a nice flying plane. I have lots of take offs, climbs to altitude, but no landings. I jumped out every time!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 03-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
How much time do you have in the Otter?

It is a nice flying plane. I have lots of take offs, climbs to altitude, but no landings. I jumped out every time!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I've never been in one. I wish though. I don't think I've even seen one in real life (maybe one). I just think they are the awesomest (word?) little plane around. Especially on floats. Some of the older ones are kinda ugly, but the new ones are really neat. You wouldn't catch me jumping out of one though.

Bunch more pics of the plane (713 or them) at this site:
http://www.airliners.net

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter

Last edited by DH6twinotter; 03-14-2003 at 05:14 PM.