Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt

I just finished changing head gaskets on my 95 3vze 4runner. I aligned all sprockets (cams, crank). I put the timing belt on and aligned the timing lines with the cams and the small dot on the crank sprocket. I then installed the tensioner the correct way. My question is, after rotating the crank 2 complete revolutions should the lines on the belt align back with the cam and crank timing marks. When I did this the belt timing marks were off, but the cams and crank aligned right on. I'm concerned I did this wrong and I don't want to start it until I'm completly sure.

Sorry so long, but I could really use some good advice here. Thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 PM

The marks on your camshaft and crank pulleys should remain lined up with the timing marks after two full revolutions. I had to redjust mine a couple times before I got the slack out and the marks remained lined up. I would adjust it again and make sure they stay lined up before you go through all the trouble of putting it back together, much easier than taking it apart after you find out it isn't correct when it is all put back together. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 AM

Nope, the lines on the belt are there to help you install it only. It enables you to make sure you have the correct number belt teeth between the two camshaft sprockets and the crankshaft. Once you turn it they wont line up but about every 10? or so rotations but the marks on each cam and crankshaft should align with each other. In other words the lines on the belt are for install only and they will rotate around the cams, but its the marks on the cams and pulley that you want to make sure they stay aligned after several complete rotations. You can remove the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the engine over by hand. I learned all this the hard way on my 89 maxima. Hope that helps.
Steve

Maybe this will help, by the time the marks on the belt rotate back to their original position the cam sprockets will have made several complete rotations compared to one full rotation of the belt marks. Its kind of hard to understand, but like I said, if the cams and crankshaft pulley are lined up you should be good to go.

Last edited by skshepherd; 03-27-2004 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by skshepherd
Maybe this will help, by the time the marks on the belt rotate back to their original position the cam sprockets will have made several complete rotations compared to one full rotation of the belt marks. Its kind of hard to understand, but like I said, if the cams and crankshaft pulley are lined up you should be good to go.
Ditto,

I just installed a new timing belt, belt marks were off but the crank/cam marks were dead on. Since the belt has slack that is taken up by the tensioner it would be next to impossible to manufacture the belt with the marks lining up. Since tension will vary it's hard to compensate for with the belt marks. I second if the crank/cam marks line up you're good to go. I spund mine like 8 times to make sure and everything stayed right where it needed to be. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks for your advice. I'm more confident now.