Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Time to help me decide what to do: fix it, sell it, part it out?

Old 03-03-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to help me decide what to do: fix it, sell it, part it out?

Well, my '85 EFI 4Runner is still sitting in my garage. It'll run like a bear and scare the neighbors, but pumps antifreeze out the overflow and oil between the block and the head even after putting in a new headgasket. Added in to the equation, 4 months away is a pretty good reason for 4 doors instead of two.
So, my dilemma:
I've stuffed over 5 grand under the hood in the last few years and now I'm guessing the block is cracked. A new block and rebuild kit and all the work done by me (a sort which I have never endeavored to do) would run around $1200-1500. Just buying a whole new bottom end assembled would run $2400-2,500. After which I would have the sought after 85 EFI with a rebuilt motor (again), some performance parts, around 208,000 miles on the rest and only two doors.
I suspect we won't be doing any real wheeling with the new arrival for a couple years anyway, but, gosh, it sure would be nice to have a truck again since I am currently driving my wife's old '91 xtra cab 2x4
I figure if I sell it as a tow away case I won't get bupkus for it even with the remaining mods under the hood and the 31" MTRs. I thought about keeping the front end and sticking it under a 2nd gen and then just parting the rest of the truck out, but what would the comparison value be of an 85 with no front axle since that is what makes it so sought after?
Lastly, I have having a heck of time finding a 2nd gen I want anyway. I really dislike the idea of IFS since I do on rare occasion actually go offroad and into the rocks and ruts and their reputation of breaking ball joints and CVs preceed them. But, again, that can fixed for a price. What I want in a 2nd gen if I must do it, is decent, but not freakish horsepower (even considering swapping in a 2.7l in another post), a solid axle,a 5sp, and pretty much power nothing. I don't want ABS, airbags, airconditioning, power windows, power door locks, any of that stuff. Just power steering and power brakes are plenty for me. However, it seems no such beast exists in the 2nd gens. They are all too "comfy" for me LOL! I want something comparable to the old Utility model. Does such a beast exist in 2nd gens? So far, I have only found one that seems like it, a '91 4cyl with 89k on it ($6500)about 200 miles away, but considering what I would like to do with it, I don't want to pay a high upfront price for one.
Any opines on what to do with mine, a realistic price to try and get if I do sell it in one piece or how to go about getting into a second would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

I say sell it to someone looking for a truck like that, buy your self a 4 door 2nd gen and wheel it when you want.. I think your perception of the IFS is a little swayed.. I have 140k on mine, I wheel it pretty good and have never broken a part on it.. I don't do mud (hate the stuff.. too much dang cleaning) I prefer rocks, trails, and water...) But I have walked around with guys running 33's and not had any problems at all... Heck last year at the EC4RJ I was following Allen (Gold SAS 2nd gen limited) and kept right up with him .. Now I am not going to try to say that I can follow him all over ther place.. But ask him how dang PO'd I was getting to have to keep on stopping for guys to stack rocks and get spotted ect...

BTW.. Did I mention this was one of the "harder core" groups?? and I was running 31" AT's fully open??

It is at least 50% driver and 50% truck (may sway either way)

All that is just trying to say, contrary to some BBS's (cough.. POR) IFS can be wheeled and is not the worst theing in the world.. Yes, sinking 4k into a lift and lockers/gears on IFS is stupid.. but playing a little to fit 32's or 33's and wheeling IFS can be done and it can wheel pretty good.. Sure, you have limits... But how often will you come up to them??? Daily driver or tube buggy?? What is your pleasure??
Old 03-03-2003, 03:50 PM

Hey, i got an 87 Turbo4Runner that leaks oil too between the head and block, my best guess is you have a warped head, why not pull the head, have it trued/shaved, and reinstall it.... anyways, my IFS wheels pretty well for being stock, and how much did you lift for those 31" mt/rs?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Have this guy drop a 7mge in it. $2500

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimateb...;f=11;t=010021
Old 03-03-2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Eighty7ToyTruck
Hey, i got an 87 Turbo4Runner that leaks oil too between the head and block, my best guess is you have a warped head, why not pull the head, have it trued/shaved, and reinstall it.... anyways, my IFS wheels pretty well for being stock, and how much did you lift for those 31" mt/rs?
I had a valve job done on it when I had it off. I took it to what people around here think is the best machine shop in town and told him to do whatever he needed to do to it. Hopefully, he would have planed(?) the head if it needed it. I think I'm just going to go ahead and go over to his shop again here soon and ask if he did that.
I have/had a 3" lift in the truck, but it is ancient Alcan. I know they have a reputation as the best out there now, but 10 years ago when I had them build this lift...woof! Instead of lifting it they set it back to factory specs. When I got there I asked quite pointedly, "What the hell did you do to my truck?" the moment I looked at it and noticed the tall Rancho shocks absolutely stuffed into place. "Oh, I should have written that down..." So, after another day in the shop I wound up with the stiffest Kenworth liftkit ever made and a stripped lug
Sounds like they have learned something since I last had it in there. Since their shop is the city I live in, they will probably get a second chance.