Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Throttle body removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body removal

Hello,

Need to clean out the throttle body on my 2000 4runner 3.4L this weekend..

1. Do I need to disconnect the throttle linkages from the throttle body?

3. Got the gaskets I need to replace--do I put any sort of gasket sealant on the gasket itself?

thanks for any help or directions. Jon
Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 AM

You will not have to put any sealer on that gasket. Just put it on and tighten the bolts to the specific torque specs.

As far as disconnecting the linkages it would make it easier to clean if it was all the way unattached.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jonb
Hello,

Need to clean out the throttle body on my 2000 4runner 3.4L this weekend..

1. Do I need to disconnect the throttle linkages from the throttle body?

3. Got the gaskets I need to replace--do I put any sort of gasket sealant on the gasket itself?

thanks for any help or directions. Jon
Yes you will not need to remove just un hook them, just make a mental note on putting it back together.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

the linkages slide right out and are easy to pu back in. If you r going to take the throttle body off you may want to clean out the IAC valve. It'll do wonders if you have a rough idle.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM

That's exactly what I was planning on doing..clean the throttle body as well as the IAC as it is giving me a rough/low idle problem right now and I'm hoping this will help. I hate to admit it but I actually think I screwed it up myself by trying to clean the throttle body & butterfly without removing it, and a whole bunch of dirty carb cleaner went down the hole in the intake just in front of the butterfly--that's when this rough/low idle problem began.

So just to clarify..i can just loosen the nuts that are on the throttle cables and slide them off their holders and it won't mess up any adjustments?

thank you.Jon
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jonb
That's exactly what I was planning on doing..clean the throttle body as well as the IAC as it is giving me a rough/low idle problem right now and I'm hoping this will help. I hate to admit it but I actually think I screwed it up myself by trying to clean the throttle body & butterfly without removing it, and a whole bunch of dirty carb cleaner went down the hole in the intake just in front of the butterfly--that's when this rough/low idle problem began.

So just to clarify..i can just loosen the nuts that are on the throttle cables and slide them off their holders and it won't mess up any adjustments?

thank you.Jon

If I recall you can move the throttle linkages by hand so that there's slack in the cables and remove them without unscrewing anything. That's how I did it. Also be careful when unscrewing the IAC from the throttle body. The 4 screws can easily strip.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 AM

Smile

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great suggestions and advise. Removed the throttle body this weekend and cleaned it out along with the IAC valve assembly. Idle is smoother now and no warm start problems or rough idle..

Throttle body was actually not that dirty as I had previously cleaned it while attached but the IAC and passages were really bad. As mentioned by Saulgoode, the removal process is not that hard--the hardest part for me was removing the water hoses from the body (I reattached with small adjustable hose clamps). Also the 4 small phillips screws that secure the IAC to the body were very tight and can be easily stripped so watch out for that. The only way I could get them out was to use a short 90 degree offset phillips head so it wouldn't strip and that worked well.

thanks again,Jon