Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For those w/ 'Bling" UCA's

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those w/ 'Bling" UCA's

If you had it to do over again, would you still buy them or would you buy the "Schaefer" shaved-arms? I am currently running DR extended coilovers w/ the stock arms and am getting ready to upsize to 35's.

I understand that I will not be able to utilize the extended length of the coilovers with shaved arms, but I am already grenading CV's due to the extra travel.

I am not looking to start any drama over this. If you don't have 1st hand experience, please don't interject your opinion.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

In retrospect, I probably would have just gone with the shaved arms, but my ATS have been great, plus they just look so damn cool.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

All I'll say is you'll need limit straps, otherwise you'll eventually gernade your upper ball joints, if you wheel it....
Old 01-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew

I understand that I will not be able to utilize the extended length of the coilovers with shaved arms, but I am already grenading CV's due to the extra travel.

i dont understand this part what do you mean by extended length coilovers? is it something specific to 'hoes? or are you just referring to the length you get by cranking em up? im running fagtech basic CO's, and they're fairly cranked, but not maxed out. i dont have any issues with my stocker arm hitting. how would running shaved arms affect your coilovers? the inner "A' is the same isnt it? just the outside has less material.

i havent had any grenading CV's yet (knock on wood), and i wheel it pretty hard (at least i like to think i do ). just put on my 35's, but am using spacers till i figure out the uca situation. havent wheeled it yet, but its tight up in there... gonna have to find me a biggerFH to massage the pinchwelds... and perhaps get some limiting straps as well...

i'd go for shaved arms if i had the choice...

Last edited by d0ubledown; 01-10-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM

I also have the ATS/Inland A-arms, up until now they have been fine. But I just noticed that the bushing on one side of the A-arm has come out of its socket about 1.5", this is causing the whole arm to move because there is nothing stabilizing it on that side besides the long bolt that attaches the upper arm.

I can't remember if the bushing was 2 piece or if it was just 1, I think it was just 1, so that means it has probably broken in half.

Anyone know where I could find replacement bushings?

I don't even know if Inland is still up there in Murrieta.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
I also have the ATS/Inland A-arms, up until now they have been fine. But I just noticed that the bushing on one side of the A-arm has come out of its socket about 1.5", this is causing the whole arm to move because there is nothing stabilizing it on that side besides the long bolt that attaches the upper arm.

I can't remember if the bushing was 2 piece or if it was just 1, I think it was just 1, so that means it has probably broken in half.

Anyone know where I could find replacement bushings?

I don't even know if Inland is still up there in Murrieta.
I'm not familiar with that arm, but if it's anything like mine there are four bushings- one per half of each side. I got some replacement bushings direct from Camburg, maybe you could try Kartek Off-Road.

So yeah, I've got Camburg UCAs. I've been happy with them. I'd go that route again.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Sonny,

The extended length CO's allow for an inch more down-travel (from what I understand) when used in conjunction w/ aftermarket control arms. The benefit to using the shaved arms is the ability to run a wider tire w/o changing wheels, but that can also be accomplished w/ aftermarket arms. There is no actual inteference b/w the UCA and coilover.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone else?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

If you run stock or shaved UCA's with the extended Hoe's the stock ball joint will bind at full extention, unless you run limit straps. In which case you lose the extra travel from the CO's. To get the extra travel you must run after market UCA's Camburg or Total Chaos your choice.....