Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

These Darn Leaks!!!!!

Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These Darn Leaks!!!!!

HI all....

i was looking for a power steering leak today and found there were three other leaks as well. i have a leaking valve cover (not sure if both are), power steering leak (DUH!?), oil pan leak, a leaking diff. im not sure about the diff. can someone tell me what the fluids of the diff look like, err the color? right now it looks red, im guessing its auto transmission oil. every thing is so greasy it looks like every part under there is leaking. this looks like a big job, i would do it myself, but im already slacking in school. does any one have an idea how much this will cost me? what about the stealership, how much do you think they can steal off me? thanks for any help!!!! oh yea this is on my oh so powerful, 3.sl0w, lol , on a 94 toy pickup.

Here, Have a little sample of what im looking at, pretty nasty. if you are wonderin what that blue thing is, its my electrical tape i dropped earlier when i was fixng my alarm.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 AM

If you have an automatic trans I would want to say your transmission cooler lines are leaking and the fan is blowing the fluid all over that passenger side control arm. Take a look at the fittings near the radiator and try to tighten them up. You may have a split hose. Make sure you are full on fluid if you cant check them asap. If you run low on trans fluid and run it dry your screwed dude. Hope this helps. Ben
Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOYJZX100
HI all....

i was looking for a power steering leak today and found there were three other leaks as well. i have a leaking valve cover (not sure if both are), power steering leak (DUH!?), oil pan leak, a leaking diff. im not sure about the diff. can someone tell me what the fluids of the diff look like, err the color? right now it looks red, im guessing its auto transmission oil. every thing is so greasy it looks like every part under there is leaking. this looks like a big job, i would do it myself, but im already slacking in school. does any one have an idea how much this will cost me? what about the stealership, how much do you think they can steal off me? thanks for any help!!!! oh yea this is on my oh so powerful, 3.sl0w, lol , on a 94 toy pickup.

Here, Have a little sample of what im looking at, pretty nasty. if you are wonderin what that blue thing is, its my electrical tape i dropped earlier when i was fixng my alarm.

The diff fluid is definetly black/brown unless you run the Redline shock proof oil like I do, in which case it would be pink/red. The VC gaskets always leak on the 3.0, comes with the payments. STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIP!
Go to a good garage to get your VC gaskets replaced, they have to pull the plenum and it's not an easy job but it's more labor than parts!
The tranny gasket is a piece of cake, you could probably crawl under there and do it yourself!
Most of your problems/leaks are all high labor not parts,
PS pump rebuild - $100+
vc gaskets - $150+
trans pan - $50 - $75
Take it to the dealer - $2000+
Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 AM

hmm, thanks a bunch for your replies. ill go and check on the transmission cooler lines this comming week. the only fluid that keeps dropping is the power steering, ill have to double check on the transmission fluid. the valve cover looks kinda hard, can it be done in one day? i can probably do it im just short on time. ill definately stay away from the stealership, i expected that kinda price for these repairs.

thanks again!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:43 AM

could any of these contribute to a very crappy gasmileage? ive had fill 20bucks At $2.41 a gallon one day after the other. i drive maybe 15 miles to school so maybe about 30 for the day. i also have this very loud squeeking sounds in the injector area early in the morning and it goes away when the motor is hot. could there be something there killing my gas? i have 68K on the motor if that helps. it also has this sound going tuck tuck tuck tuck tuck at certain rpms. ARRRHHH!!!! all these Problems!!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:00 PM

could any of these contribute to a very crappy gasmileage? ive had fill 20bucks At $2.41 a gallon one day after the other. i drive maybe 15 miles to school so maybe about 30 for the day. i also have this very loud squeeking sounds in the injector area early in the morning and it goes away when the motor is hot. could there be something there killing my gas? i have 68K on the motor if that helps. it also has this sound going tuck tuck tuck tuck tuck at certain rpms. ARRRHHH!!!! all these Problems!!!!
Holy Crap you got problems.
How many miles to the tank do you get?
Early morning squeek: I would remove the power steering belt and see if it goes away. If not try another belt until you find the noise is gone.
68,000 original miles on the 94? wow.
tuck tuck tuck tuck tuck at certain rpms: I say that would be the lifters, pretty normal for them being loud.
How long have you had this rig? Ever had the head gasket recall done on it?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:25 PM

haha yea i do

im pretty sure its not the belts or ps pump i recently changed all the belts cause of another squeek, its comming from the injectors area, really wierd. hawaii is kinda small lol, we make 15-20 minute drives in regular traffic or even less. the person we bought it form never maintained it very well, the paper filter inside was 2yrs old he said, we got it for 6000 it at about 54,000 miles i think.... he already had the recall thing done to it. we had it for about a year and a half. i never really kept watch at how many miles i get, but i almost ran out of gas 2 days in a row each after the $20 fill up the light came on, i was trying to make it home without filling her up. my friend also mentioned a long time ago that he thinks its running rich, can that kill gas too?

Last edited by TOYJZX100; 09-04-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:35 PM

Ah I didnt even look to see where you were. Being on an idland would limit your mileage racking wouldnt it. Unless you do daily laps around the island. If you just did the belts then maybe you have a power steering pump trying to seize up on fresh starts. just a guess on my part though. It makes partial sense to me that if you had a powersteering leak that got to low and now you may have a pump that was thirsty at one point for PS fluid and is now squeeling. again guessing
Old 09-04-2004, 12:51 PM

i know its not the pump cuz it made a different noise b4 i fixed it, when its low it starts making a grinding noise, then starts to squeek when there is no fluid in the resovior. btw, nice 4runner...
Old 09-04-2004, 01:14 PM

i know its not the pump cuz it made a different noise b4 i fixed it, when its low it starts making a grinding noise, then starts to squeek when there is no fluid in the resovior. btw, nice 4runner...
hmm I am stumped. thanks for the comp.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You usually don't get a squeek from the injector area, I believe that it could be your idler bearing ready to go TUp!(Especially in the morning) It's on the inside cover where your T-belt is! Also, check to see if you have any codes,(Iknow a code doesn't cause squeeks, but you should check in the event that you are running rich because of a afm,tps,o2 sensor..) you know under the hood next to your fuse box there is a diagnostic connector, jump "te" & "e1" w/a paper clip, turn ign. to on but don't start, if it flashes real fast on the dash, you have no codes, if it starts flashing codes it will be like tis for example:
**short pause*, meaning a code 21 and then there will be a long pause and the code will repeat itself or go on to the next code!
You need to find out you mpg, I see you do a lot of city driving so your mpg's probably aren't that great! If it's running rich it might smoke black and your mpg's will suffer dramaticly! A good tuneup never hurts either, air filter, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and a fuel filter!

Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 PM

ok ill try that, i actually got alot of help this time compared to my question about exhaust, thanks!
Old 09-04-2004, 01:36 PM

ok ill try that, i actually got alot of help this time compared to my question about exhaust, thanks!
what was wrong with the exhaust?