Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thanks to Yotatech - new Hayden Cooler Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to Yotatech - new Hayden Cooler Installed

Just wanted to say thanks to the Yotatech community for helping with instructions for installing the tranny cooler. Specifically, the tech section and Brian's write-up at drawhorn.org.

Also thanks to mertztr and pfdaxe (Paul) for the initial recommendation!! The Hayden is clearly a quality product. Here is the link from question a few months ago. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14832

It was a pretty easy install. The only issue is running the hoses. I just couldn't find a route that I was 100% happy with. I guess life is full of compromises though.

So far, no leaks and everything looks good. One quick question, can you top off the transmission fluid with new fluid of a different brand as long as it is DOT 4?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Cool, glad it went well for you!

I think you're fine using a different brand of fluid, as long as its the same type.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Thanks to Yotatech - new Hayden Cooler Installed

Originally posted by mgspann
Just wanted to say thanks to the Yotatech community for helping with instructions for installing the tranny cooler. Specifically, the tech section and Brian's write-up at drawhorn.org.

Also thanks to mertztr and pfdaxe (Paul) for the initial recommendation!! The Hayden is clearly a quality product. Here is the link from question a few months ago. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14832

It was a pretty easy install. The only issue is running the hoses. I just couldn't find a route that I was 100% happy with. I guess life is full of compromises though.

So far, no leaks and everything looks good. One quick question, can you top off the transmission fluid with new fluid of a different brand as long as it is DOT 4?
mgspann,

Congrats on the Hayden tranny cooler install! I assume you got Model 1678. How much were you able to get yours for? I am glad I could help somebody out like I've been helped by numerous folks here at Yotatech. It feels good to give back!

You are right, the hoses are the only hard part. I wasn't worried about where to run them, just getting the dang hose on and over those barbs on the steel lines was a PITA. I still got scars on one hand from that battle and that was over a month ago!

Just remember to check the spot where you park every night for a while to make sure you aren't leaking! I checked my fluid after I was finished and with the minimal amount of tranny fluid I lost, I never had to replace any. I don't know about mixing tranny fluids, sorry.

The only issue I know of with the install is that I have a buddy who is a HUGE car nut and he said that those type of tranny coolers, attached with the zip ties, will eventually rub a hole in the AC condenser or the radiator and he recommended making some brackets and hard installing it. I'm working on fabbing up some now in the next few weeks to use some of the existing holes/bolts and minimizing rattle as well as not getting any lower to interfere with a winch later. I'll keep you posted.

Again, I'm glad I could help!

One more thing...where's the pics?

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-22-2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

I'll get the picks posted soon. My computer at home bit the dust so I'm sort of limited right now.

Brian - I've got one good battle scare, not from attaching the hose to the steel lines, but from cutting the hose itself. I got in a hurry for no good reason and cut through the hose and into my finger. A little blood in the tranny line should help lubricate things

I did get the 1678 and it was $51.29 shipped from Makco. Quite a bit cheaper than the TRD. If you fab some brackets please let me know.

I didn't have any problems with the steel to rubber connections, guess I got lucky.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

I had my hayden tranny cooler installed this morning too. No battle scars though, paid Aamco $25 to do it for me, while I just stood there and watched.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by sdastg1
I had my hayden tranny cooler installed this morning too. No battle scars though, paid Aamco $25 to do it for me, while I just stood there and watched.
Isn't that cheating or something??

Old 10-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Cheating .... YES ... but I live in a high rise in downtown chicago. They fine me if they catch me waxing my car .. They would probably throw me out if I was actually working on the truck. And it was just too easy and too cheap to have someone else do it.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

$25 seems like a great deal to me. I did have some fun putting mine in, but for $25 it seems worth it.

Two days and no leaks!!