Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look around at race shops/circle track stores, they usually have it for cheap. Course i live in redneck country so those are a dime a dozen.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
one tire fire ftw lol .. id love to s/c
Old 10-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
one tire fire ftw lol .. id love to s/c
I am surprised you haven't, you were wanting to a few years ago as well, still not done it? It was the single best thing i ever did to my truck.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, a lot of great ideas here! I have a SC in the garage needing a rebuild which I expect to have ready to go soon. CAN'T WAIT!!!

One thing I was thinking about was how you wired it to activate. I assume you're running a vacuum sensor, is it activating off a programmed PSI? What PSI are you using?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by longroad
First off, a lot of great ideas here! I have a SC in the garage needing a rebuild which I expect to have ready to go soon. CAN'T WAIT!!!

One thing I was thinking about was how you wired it to activate. I assume you're running a vacuum sensor, is it activating off a programmed PSI? What PSI are you using?
I personally am useing an AEM kit, it has a controller that can turn it on at any boost between 0 and 10psi.

In the DIY kit above, the pressure switch would turn on the pump at whatever pressure you want.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if i had the 4 grand to i would
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
if i had the 4 grand to i would
I did my complete setup for around $2k looking for deals, minus headers.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM

I went to Devil's Own web site and noticed that they don't make a kit for the Taco. I definatly want to go with a stage two kit for the sake of that progressive controller. Do you think I would be able to use the kit intended for the MR2? Also, what do you guys think of the Snow performance stage two kit? Any opinions?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
I went to Devil's Own web site and noticed that they don't make a kit for the Taco. I definatly want to go with a stage two kit for the sake of that progressive controller. Do you think I would be able to use the kit intended for the MR2? Also, what do you guys think of the Snow performance stage two kit? Any opinions?
Are you boosted or NA?

The kits are rarely made per car, there are a few cars they will change the kit a little for but as a whole it is just a sale gimic.

What kit you need depends on your goals.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm planning on installing a TRD supercharger that I've purchased over this comming winter (when the garage is nice and cool). As far as my HP aspirations, I'm really just planning on adding the s/c, get a nice AFR gauge/ sensor set-up, a good progressive meth kit, headers and maybe a 2.2 pully sometime down the road. I'm not looking to put down crazy numbers since my truck is still a daily commuter with a 35mi. round trip daily drive. Any other recomendations for making safe power?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

That sounds like a good plan, make sure that you get a wideband and not a worthless narrow band gauge (will be at least $150 for a wideband).

Then you should be good to go, a setup like mine should work great, you might be able to get away with a little smaller nozzle but always better to error on the side of too large of a nozzle vs too small.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Sweet! I'm definatly going with a wideband set-up and I'm prepared to spend the cash to get the good stuff because I can't stand messing with equiptment that isn't user friendly. I'm most likely going with the devil's own nozzels since I've read a lot of good things about them. I was going to use the TA DIY set up but I want to have a progressive feed and I pretty much have to buy a separate tank for the go-juice because the bugs up in my end of the world are freaking crazy (and large). We also have these trees all over the place that discharge this odd sappy substance that falls like a mist and if you drive under it it won't wipe off; it takes soap.......powerfull soap. So with that being said, do you think I will still be able to make it with the DIY kit or would it be cheaper to just buy a complete kit from Snow or Devil's Own?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
Sweet! I'm definatly going with a wideband set-up and I'm prepared to spend the cash to get the good stuff because I can't stand messing with equiptment that isn't user friendly. I'm most likely going with the devil's own nozzels since I've read a lot of good things about them. I was going to use the TA DIY set up but I want to have a progressive feed and I pretty much have to buy a separate tank for the go-juice because the bugs up in my end of the world are freaking crazy (and large). We also have these trees all over the place that discharge this odd sappy substance that falls like a mist and if you drive under it it won't wipe off; it takes soap.......powerfull soap. So with that being said, do you think I will still be able to make it with the DIY kit or would it be cheaper to just buy a complete kit from Snow or Devil's Own?
If you will be using it on a supercharger in place of the 7th kit (highly recommended BTW long as you can get methanol locally/easily, any big city should have it) you need a good progressive kit. I really like my coolingmist setup personally.

Check out my other thread on my truck and/or my youtube videos. I have a lot more details in that thread about my setup. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-power-222044/

The coolingmist is a nice kit that has worked beautifully for me, don't t see any reason to change. If you do get the coolingmist setup the CM10 nozzle from them is just as good as the devils own, i tested them side by side a few months ago.

I also happen to have 2 trunk mount methanol tanks in my garage, a new coolingmist 1.5 or 2 gallon, whatever it is, and a devils own 2.5 gallon sumped tank i am selling.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still running my Devil's Own kits in both my rigs, the one in my truck just dumped a full tank of meth/water all over my rear passenger side floor... got into my truck after it happened and was hit with a 'wave' of methanol fumes.... lucky it was a 50/50 mix at least....

I recently upgraded the wiring to it, instead of running 4 feet of the supplied 16g or whatever small wires, I put it on a relay with 10g wire running to the pump. hoping this was the cause, I guess I should pull out the manual and turn down the pump pressure just a tad; I ran the lines and could not find a leak, I think it popped at the push side of the pump connection but didn't come out.

Filled it with a small amount of plain dH2O, no meth, and so far all is well with no leaks.

Also since I upgraded the wire, my flashing/intermittent amber/fault light stopped coming on at full spray like before. Also cleaned the whole system, nozzle and valve when I did the wiring so pretty sure there's no clog.

The only confusing part of the wiring upgrade is that it does not use near as much fluid as it did before so really don't have my kit running the way I want it. I figured with the fault light not coming on and it having more juice, if anything it would be using more, not less. In due time... still need to re-tune, been putting that off for almost a year now....
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

If you are using plain water it will use a little less volume of fluid.

My guess is that your tank was sealed and the heat of summer caused enough pressure to build up that it popped a fitting either out of the tank or someplace else, happened to me twice. This is part of the reason i like the using the washer fluid tank, keeps everything external.

Some guys will install a pop-off valve that opens up after so much pressure to vent it so it doesn't pop the fittings.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bet you are correct, it was about the hottest day here so far and sitting in direct sunlight. The tank is mounted on the driveshaft hump inside behind the seats (extra-cab) and the tubing runs thru the carpet into the passenger side storage compartment where the pump is mounted to the floor inside. tubing runs under all the door trim thru the firewall and right into the intake pre TB.

It looked like the downstream side of the pump connection had popped out a little but had not separated and ran all of the tubing to ensure something hadn't worn thru the line.

I was hoping to mount the tank under the hood but not enough space where I thought it would go. I also have the 2.5 gal tank which is nice; it was near full also when she popped. definitely recommend under the hood if possible for anyone who hasn't done theirs yet, makes spills like this not much of an issue.

I had considered before putting a breather valve on the tank that vented outside the cab, think that will be my next project now...

thanks again TA!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Why not mount the pump to the tank, if you have the sumped 2.5 gallon tank it is designed that way anyways. That works a lot better as well since the pump does not suck very well but it pushes real well.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
If you will be using it on a supercharger in place of the 7th kit (highly recommended BTW long as you can get methanol locally/easily, any big city should have it) you need a good progressive kit. I really like my coolingmist setup personally.

I also happen to have 2 trunk mount methanol tanks in my garage, a new coolingmist 1.5 or 2 gallon, whatever it is, and a devils own 2.5 gallon sumped tank i am selling.

So coolingmist is a brand name I take it? I have checked out all of your vids online, you are one thourough dude! On the vid of your runner making the power pass with the camera on the AFR gauge, were those readings reflecting your engine on JUST meth injection or was the engine being assisted by the URD 7th kit as well? What do you think of mounting the tank in the bed of my truck, like say inside of the tool box, or is that too far?

A 2.5 gallon tank eh? How much?

One last question: should I get a controller that runs off of the boost port pressure or the MAF signal?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

This is the coolingmist i am talking about: http://www.coolingmist.com/

That particular video i am not sure if the 7th kit was still on or not, if it was it was only injecting a little fuel above 4500rpm though. I have had it removed entirely for the last 6 months or so and could not be happier.

If you mount the pump in the tool box the tank would need to be there as well, the pump is a good pusher but a very bad sucker.

The 2.5 tank i have costs $100 new, i would let it go for $70.

If you go with the coolingmist it can actually run off of either the boost or the MAF or even both. Can also go with the setup i have that is tunable like a 7th kit. Only the only CMGS can though, the new "x" version can't.

If you look at my last build thread i detail my newest setup, don't think i made a new video about it since it didn't change that much.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM

I saw the coolingmist set up that you're running on coolingmist's web site and wow....expensive. I'm trying to think of something that would be a little cheaper and at this point I seriously thinking of just saying screw it and using the windshield washer tank as my meth tank (so I wouldn't have to buy a low level sensor). I had kind of a cool thought though; i was thinking of attaching a 1/2 gal tank close to the washer tank and attaching a tube to it kind of like an aux resevior. So on the "less expensive but still pretty good stuff" side of meth/water injection, what do you think of this kit: http://www.alcohol-injection.com/dvc...age-2-305.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!