Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, that is right, most of it depends on how you drive.

In my MR2 with 1500cc and driving the car like i stole it (only way to drive a car IMO) i got about 1 tank of gas to 2.5 gallons of meth.

In the 4runner with a 450cc nozzle and also driving it like i stole it, i have so far got a little over a tank of gas to a washer fluid fill up (holds a little over 1 gallon). If i drove it easier i would get a lot more.

Buying the methanol in 5 gallon jugs like me, you would go though that 5 gallons over the coruse of 10 - 20 tanks of gas depending on how you drive.

We should probibly post these stuff in the Meth injection thread. If you report it over there, i will report this response as well lol.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yep, that is right, most of it depends on how you drive.

In my MR2 with 1500cc and driving the car like i stole it (only way to drive a car IMO) i got about 1 tank of gas to 2.5 gallons of meth.

In the 4runner with a 450cc nozzle and also driving it like i stole it, i have so far got a little over a tank of gas to a washer fluid fill up (holds a little over 1 gallon). If i drove it easier i would get a lot more.

Buying the methanol in 5 gallon jugs like me, you would go though that 5 gallons over the coruse of 10 - 20 tanks of gas depending on how you drive.

We should probibly post these stuff in the Meth injection thread. If you report it over there, i will report this response as well lol.

drive it like you stole it!! that's how I roll, lol... you should see me in a rental car!! several rental cars ago, I returned it after 2 days with a CEL, low tire pressure and a BENT FRAME!! hahaha.... the window wouldn't roll up right any more and she had some nasty vibrations, the doors wouldn't close like they did when I got it... that's what 2000 J-turns and other fun stuff will do to a hyundi 2dr sedan!! Best $53 I ever spent!!! enterprise got the crappy end of that deal....

I got 2 x 5gal cans I keep my methanol in, goes a long way between buying refills.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM

nice write up on the DIY kit btw, posted another long blurb with my 2 cents there. Had not seen that McMaster's site, lots of goodies on there.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aa1911
nice write up on the DIY kit btw, posted another long blurb with my 2 cents there. Had not seen that McMaster's site, lots of goodies on there.
Yeah, that MCmaster site is a dream when you know what you are looking for.

If you notice most of the fittings you see on devils own/any other meth injection kit form directly from there, they just hike the price and resale it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM

yeah, that's good to know for sure. I love Devils own but they do make their money. I like building my own stuff as much as possible anyway, that site does have some good prices from the few I saw from your links.

Delay on playing with the 7gal nozzle, I'm getting super pissed that I cannot connect to my FTC/ECU with my R4 software for some reason, it's giving me an error message saying it cannot connect, check power to the ECU! Tried everything and not able to connect and pull my maps. want to smooth out a low idle issue and tune my methanol/timing. have you seen/had that problem with yours? I think I will have to call gadget and figure out what the problem is
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, that's good to know for sure. I love Devils own but they do make their money. I like building my own stuff as much as possible anyway, that site does have some good prices from the few I saw from your links.

Delay on playing with the 7gal nozzle, I'm getting super pissed that I cannot connect to my FTC/ECU with my R4 software for some reason, it's giving me an error message saying it cannot connect, check power to the ECU! Tried everything and not able to connect and pull my maps. want to smooth out a low idle issue and tune my methanol/timing. have you seen/had that problem with yours? I think I will have to call gadget and figure out what the problem is
Odd, i have had issues connecting to mine before but it was always on the computer side, wrong com port selected ect. I was always able to figure it out. Never had any issues on the ECU side, calling URD would be the best bet. I have only used the system enough to tune it, don't really like it all that much but i am used to full stand alones which have a LOT more options. It IS a great piggy back.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM

yeah, I had to play around with the com ports before my 1st tune but one did work. not sure what the problem is, I do need to call URD/gadget. maybe if I kick my glovebox (where the FTC sits right now) it will work? lol

yeah, the guy that did my initial tune at turbo technologies said this was some weird tuning software, said he was used to having at least 6 perameters to play with instead of 2. I think it's adequate for us though on this setup, it really does the job (when you can connect to it!!!) AAARRRRRRGGG...! then again I don't have much tuning experience either...

it does a great job of tricking the ECU and being a stand-between in front of the engine control sensors so the ECU isn't fighting a 12:1 AFR that it doesn't like. I'll get to the bottom of it here shortly, can't stand not being able to look at my maps!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, I had to play around with the com ports before my 1st tune but one did work. not sure what the problem is, I do need to call URD/gadget. maybe if I kick my glovebox (where the FTC sits right now) it will work? lol

yeah, the guy that did my initial tune at turbo technologies said this was some weird tuning software, said he was used to having at least 6 perameters to play with instead of 2. I think it's adequate for us though on this setup, it really does the job (when you can connect to it!!!) AAARRRRRRGGG...! then again I don't have much tuning experience either...

it does a great job of tricking the ECU and being a stand-between in front of the engine control sensors so the ECU isn't fighting a 12:1 AFR that it doesn't like. I'll get to the bottom of it here shortly, can't stand not being able to look at my maps!
Tuning a piggy back is much differnt then a stand alone, it is a lot easier in that you don't have to do all that much to get it tuned and it is a lot harder to mess up but not near as much control for tuners like me that like to get it just right.

It does a good job of tricking the ECU since that is what a piggy back does lol. And it does work good, piggu backs are just very limited in what they can do. The tune can also change as the stock ECU retunes itself over time. Although surprisingly my tune stayed pretty close even after 2 years.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good to see you on here again -you were obviously missed sir.

Wish I could send my First gen MR2 to you for a while it would certainly come back better than ever!

Stunning what you have achieved-I see a lot of jealous postings besides my own here!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
good to see you on here again -you were obviously missed sir.

Wish I could send my First gen MR2 to you for a while it would certainly come back better than ever!

Stunning what you have achieved-I see a lot of jealous postings besides my own here!
Thanks for the kind words! It is nice to be back and work on the 4runner again, it has been a work horse the last few years and not got much love.

MKI MR2's are nice, i like a MK1.5 swap personally, power of a MKII with the weight/agility of a MKI.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey TA,

I'm sure you've covered this area, but did you modify your auto tranny to take the supercharger and faster shifting...?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay204
Hey TA,

I'm sure you've covered this area, but did you modify your auto tranny to take the supercharger and faster shifting...?
No, could not afford it so i just took to the poors mans way of making it live, i just lift before the shifts as much as possible.

So far it is still working fine 2 years of hard driving later.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 PM

my sister in law is on auto tranny #2 which is on rebuild #3 in her 93 4runner! I'm glad yours is holding up so far. I dispise autos but it is so hard to find manuals in the 4runner and they stopped offering them altogether in 2000, is that correct? kinda sucks, you would think an 'offroad' capable SUV would always have a manual 5speed as an option. I guess you could do an auto to manual swap if you wanted to deal with that, rrrr....

I'm hoping my stock 5-speed holds up in my taco after I go turbo, I'm looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-375rwhp + as a goal, my tranny is Sooooooo smooth I don't want to upgrade/change it at all other than some stronger mounts.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I also much prefer a manual tranny but like you said SO hard to find, swapping them is not easy either due to the inability to find the parts and the cost. Once you start making a lot of power it is also easier to brake things with a manual.

I did look into the cost of both building it and swapping to a manual, both were too much for what you got. Building the tranny was basically as much as a whole rebuilt tranny, i would rather just swap trannys at this rate, if i can get 5 years out of one.

Speedy is not built either and he has 3 years @ 240rwhp on his with no issues as well. So i think i should be fine for awhile.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM

yeah, manuals can spike some serious torque on the other drive train components compared to their respective autos (especially the way I drive, lol). from what I've read around on high hp tacomas, people start having almost guaranteed drivetrain issues at the 400-500hp range (assuming stock driveline) but still not catastrophic axle snaps or anything of that nature. Those handful of 800hp tacos out there don't seem to give up a lot of info on their 'builds' so I have no idea what kind of powerline they have behind that incredible hp/torque! that's just from a handful of boosted tacos I've tried to research so I might be talking out the tailpipe...

hopefully your auto holds up, I don't think I would ever personally try a manual swap myself, seems like a nightmare trying to find/fit everything up right. also took me 3 years to find my 5-speed 4runner (and paid a nice price for it off of a dealer's lot...) the 'z' on the 5vz (or any other toyota engine) is supposedly meaning it was intended to have a forced induction application, you would think the stock vehicle would be able to handle at least the extra power from a TRD SC alone, it's really not THAT much... then again there is the 3vze, hahaha... kinda blows that theory. there's a thread on here somewhere explaining what the engine letter codes mean, pretty interesting...

ok enough rambling... I'm supposed to be working right now anyway, hahaha
Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I remember that thread about teh Z in the engien name, few years old.

Sooner or later i will get the auto built, I am almost 100% sure those 800hp trucks are running autos, at that power level autos are faster and stronger.

So when i bolt on a couple of 62mm turbos AND upgrade to an M90 supercharger on my truck down the road i have a feeling i will need a stronger tranny....Opps, did i say that out loud?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM

yeah baby.... it's a freakin' addiction, to believe I was even debating whether to SC or not a few years ago, hahaha... I want a freakin' monster under the hood now, won't have it any other way...

and a boosted Supra...... (sigh) ... in time.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM

oh, and where are you finding methanol for $2/gal ??? Saw that on the DIY injection thread, that is awesome. best price I can find in my area is $5/gal. good score!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

oh, and where are you finding methanol for $2/gal ??? Saw that on the DIY injection thread, that is awesome. best price I can find in my area is $5/gal. good score!
Nowhere special, about 3 local places i can get it for about that price by the gallon. Cheaper ten 87oct lol.

But then i live in redneck country. Lots of circle track/drag cars use it so it is cheap and easy to find.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM

hmmmm... need to do some more searching, there's plenty of tracks in my area, gotta be a cheaper supply there somewhere. I didn't realize there was such a huge difference in price, figured it was like gas prices, pretty much standard across the board, guess not.

my meth/timing tune-up will probably take a backseat this week as it's blacktail season up here... but soon enough...

funny thought too, I might be moving to San Antonio for a couple years in the somewhat near future, we should race if I ever get down that way...!

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!